Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 02:35:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334802 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Apple's iPad
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: Apple's iPad  (Read 12719 times)
Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« on: January 27, 2010, 04:58:49 PM »

http://www.apple.com/ipad/#video

Do want. Do want much yes.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 05:16:29 PM »

I think that's an incredibly sexy machine. I like the fact that it adjusts to whatever angle you're using it at, and hooks up to a basestation keyboard and features a virtual keyboard for ease of use. Also, option for both Wi-Fi and 3G? Fuck yeah.

I'm getting one.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 05:41:06 PM »

Looks pretty awesome, but Gizmodo is currently reporting that it has no multi-tasking capability and can't do something like listen to music while writing a report.  That would be the only thing that would hold me back from buying it.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 06:21:47 PM »

I am what some would call an Apple fanboy. But this is so full of fail, I'm not even kidding.

Apple just turned around and took a dump on a pizza, as far as I'm concerned. There were so many things I was looking forward to with this, and not one of them happened. They just about went down my list of "terrible design ideas" and checked them off:

- No multitasking (ie: no 3rd party hardware drivers... no printing, no MIDI, no screen video capture, etc)

- No handwriting recognition - this is a big one. They had the terrible marketting sense to call this a "Pad", and yet you can't actually write on it. How the hell is this thing a "pad" anyway?

- Still tied with AT&T. This was one I was looking forward to with the iPhone as well, they were supposedly going to announce plans with Verizon, T-Mobil and the like today. Not that I don't personally like AT&T (AT&T is wonderful here where I am, but prices would be more competitive if it were open)

- No compatibility with MacOS. To me, this is HUGE. If they’re asking me to replace my laptop with this, how am I going to run Photoshop, or MOTU Digital Performer, or any of the other design suites I work with on a daily basis? I would LOVE to be able to perform with this thing live, but no multitasking, no compatibility, and no distinct file structure makes me think that’s a big fat “IMPOSSILBLE”.

-It’s heavy. Really heavy. Holding your hand up like that for hours with 1lb is just not going to happen.

I could go on and on, but those are the big ones. The jury’s still out on how the screen will do for hours of reading, but my guess is that’s going to be very bad. I could be wrong though, but if that’s the case, this can’t compete with Kindle.

EDIT: I should finally add that while NY Times (which has put stock in this thing) and CNN are gushing over it, the publicity is largely negative. Usually when Apple introduces a new device, even though it gets some naysayers, the initial response is a nice loud “wow”. This couldn’t be farther from the truth. This is a very bad sign.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 06:32:27 PM by Prime Mover » Logged

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 06:47:22 PM »

I like the device in that it's a step towards getting real life versions of thin, Star Trek TNG style handheld computer touch screen pad thingies, but as far as functionality goes, it doesn't offer enough to warrant my not continuing to use my iPhone for mobile applications and my iMac for video/graphics editing and what-not.  Therefore, I will not be buying.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 06:47:55 PM »

What bothers me is that for a company who focused most of their effort in developing incredible creative design software and hardware solutions, is that the concentration in the iPad is almost purely in content retrieval and not content creation. It’s effectively a dumb terminal. I guess that’s alright for what it is, but we have a lot of dumb terminal devices out there. What most people use computers for, most of the time, is content creation: writing documents, music, video, pictures, webpages, you name it. Basically every step along the way, Apple chose to go the content retrieval route instead of the content creation route. It saddens me because it seems to illustrate a turn the company has been making in its basic ideals, and maybe even the entire industry along with it.

The computer was originally used a content creation device, used to create new information and relay it to others. It gave us the freedom to create things that most people didn’t have the ability to do: write professional documents, create home music studio setups, edit photography, or video. With the iPad, all of that content creation usefulness has been practically sucked dry, and we’re left with a pretty, but boring, content retrieval device. This would be fine if that was what the company was suggesting, but Jobs himself suggested that it would replace the laptop. What does that mean for all of us?

Apple, remember your “Think Different” moniker. That was meant as an anthematic call for your customers to rise up and be able to Think (and create) Different, but it seems that that phrase now only applies to Apple themselves. The rest of us should just sit back and be fed the information given to us.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Dios GX
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 07:16:47 PM »

Looks pretty awesome, but Gizmodo is currently reporting that it has no multi-tasking capability and can't do something like listen to music while writing a report.  That would be the only thing that would hold me back from buying it.
Be straight, though; who the hell doesn't own an iPod already? Besides, what people fail to realize is that multitasking of such nature would drain battery life substantially, and cause possible memory leaks. That's for windows based contraptions that are amazing and then fuck up so bad some random person has to hack it to make it worthwhile

yeah i had to
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 07:56:43 PM »

Meh

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Dios GX
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 07:59:18 PM »

Meh
hi
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 08:49:48 PM »

I'm a dude, and as such, I don't menstruate. Not really sure why I'd want one.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 10:14:55 PM »

I am what some would call an Apple fanboy. But this is so full of fail, I'm not even kidding.

Do you write for Gizmodo?

http://i.gizmodo.com/5458382/8-things-that-suck-about-the-ipad

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2010, 11:15:47 PM »

@ the gizmodo article.

Hahahah. No multitasking? You fucking kidding me? What, does it run DOS?

Widescreen movies look lousy on this thing thanks to its 4:3 screen, according to Blam, who checked out some of Star Trek on one. It's like owning a 4:3 TV all over again!

Still have a 4:3 TV, thank you.

"Let's face it, your parents over the age of 40 didn't quite get the iphone. it was too small for their eyes and fingers. This is the doorway of getting into the living rooms of baby boomers." Most of the people I know

Most of the iPhone users I know are over 50.

No HDMI Out
Want to watch those nice HD videos you downloaded from iTunes on your TV? Too damned bad! If you were truly loyal, you'd just buy an AppleTV already.

Not really sure what HDMI even is.

Basically my opinion of macs is pretty low because the only ones I have an experience are those really current-gen iMacs with the flat monitor that's kind of coming out of that hemispheric base.

Monitor makes my eyes hurt really bad if I have to use them for any length of time. I have to set the monitor brightness as low as possible. Only other in-depth experience with the workstation macs was with some... video editing software that was a pain in the ass to use and crashed frequently.

Otherwise OSX is basically Ubuntu only prettier, and I generally think mac users mostly buy macs for the aesthetic of owning a mac or something.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 11:31:34 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not dream o/`

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2010, 12:19:03 AM »

Wow - glad to see I wasn't the only one who was EXTREMELY underwhelmed by this thing.  My very very first impression was "oh man - starts at $500?  I just bought a 64 gig Touch a few months ago!"  But then I started taking a better look, and my mind changed pretty quickly.  Plus, I realized that its giant size means it's exactly the opposite of my nice, portable iPod.  And to get the disk space I need, I'd have to spend $700 for the NON-3G model, as opposed to the $400 I spent on my iPod.  And I figured that the 3G service would mean an extra charge - knowing it's connected to AT&T is just another nail in the coffin.

And yet, I know at least one Apple fanboy who I'm SURE will be buying one.  (It's no one on this site.)

Had to post this, even though it is totally old: Apple Introduces Revolutionary Laptop With No Keyboard.
http://www.theonion.com/content/video/apple_introduces_revolutionary

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2010, 02:00:07 AM »

It surprises me a great deal that Apple stuck with AT&T in the States. Up here Rogers/Fido, Telus and Bell all offer iPhones.

The iPad looks and sound pretty neat but I just don't have much use for one. Especially if I'm getting an iPhone. I expected more of a computer I guess, rather than an iPod Touch pancake?

And the iMac with the hemispheric base is anything but current gen. That was more like a lot of gen's ago. I think Mike and I bought one of those in...2002?

NANOMACHINES, SON.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2010, 09:31:29 AM »

Wait they have telecom companies that aren't Rogers!?

And does anyone else notice how much this looks like iDad?

And does anyone else find it pretty lulz when people are like THIS IS THE FIRST UGLY PRODUCT APPLE HAS MADE NO D:::. Did everyone forget the original iMacs?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 09:37:02 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not dream o/`

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: