Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 06:49:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319682 Posts in 13046 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Apple's iPad
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: Apple's iPad  (Read 12273 times)
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2010, 10:34:47 AM »

We have several companies, but they keep buying each other. :P The big notable ones are the ones I mentioned that carry iPhones. They were exclusively Rogers - who owns Fido - until Telus and Bell started offering them last month. But seriously, Apple ought to pay attention to how well it's worked for them, seeing as pretty much everyone in Canada has an iPhone now, it seems. They certainly couldn't do any WORSE by going with two (or three) carriers in the States...

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2010, 11:17:19 AM »

You're not the only one who's kinda underwhelmed by this.

I mean, it's NICE. I'd totally be all over this...if I didn't have an iphone. My iphone pretty much does ALL of this stuff and I can get it for hundreds less.

One thing that I noticed is that for an ereader, apple is kind of dicking you around. Yes, in terms of an ereader, it could be argued that it's way better than a kindle (though reading from that kind of screen? Uhh.) But if you looked at the bookstore prices, you're getting totally screwed. I've never seen a kindle book above 9.99, while I saw books on the ibookstore site for 15 BUCKS. One reason I was considering a kindle is because I'd be saving on books in the longrun.

The kindle may be a prehistoric dinosaur now, but if amazon was smart and took 50 bucks off the price of the 6 inch (or more!) I'd totally snap it up. Then I'd have a good ereader and my iphone and have the best of both worlds!

Note: Yes I know there's a kindle app - I have it on my iphone, but still...500 bucks for the basic model? :( Sad face.

Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2010, 11:29:12 AM »

From what I understand, it's essentially used for internet/email, but it doesn't really behave like a traditional computer, so I have no interest in it. If it were exactly like a netbook, at least, I would be interested.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2010, 01:29:19 PM »

My iPod is a Sansa Clip. It cost me sixty dollars. It has a 2GB storage capacity, ogg vorbis support, a screen, a radio, and a recorder function. It also behaves like a standard USB thumb drive so I could use it for that if I wanted.

My phone is an Envy2. It was free.

My eReader is an actual book. It is made of paper. The cost is trees, because Mother Earth is a bitch and I'm going to rape her in ways that Tim Curry could only imagine, and then I am going to rape Tim Curry.

Do you hear it Tim Curry!? Do you hear the scritching and gnashing in your closet!? DO YOU HEAR IT GETTING CLOSER!? THE EYES ARE CLOSING. YOU CANNOT RUN.

One thing that IS nice about the Macs on campus is that they come with phonetic Russian keyboard input by default, meaning I don't have to download it from somewhere or just buckle down and learn how the actual Russian keyboard is laid out.

I don't like how the uh, menu bar is always attached to the very top of the screen, no matter what you're doing with the program window.

I'm not sure I'd ever want a tablet PC. I mean, call me a luddite, but... what makes a tablet so special? It seems like I'd have to be craning my neck at a weird angle to look at it and it doesn't have a keyboard. I mean, I get wanting a touchscreen with a mobile or a DS or something. It's sort of like a mouse in a sense, and you don't otherwise have that kind of control. But when you're getting into something that large, you're sort of into "Okay, this could have a keyboard and a mouse" territory.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

jello44

We have visitors!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2010, 02:27:49 PM »

Looks pretty awesome, but Gizmodo is currently reporting that it has no multi-tasking capability and can't do something like listen to music while writing a report.  That would be the only thing that would hold me back from buying it.
Be straight, though; who the hell doesn't own an iPod already? Besides, what people fail to realize is that multitasking of such nature would drain battery life substantially, and cause possible memory leaks. That's for windows based contraptions that are amazing and then fuck up so bad some random person has to hack it to make it worthwhile

yeah i had to

I don't own an ipod, but then again, you should already know how I feel about apple. :)

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2010, 03:57:40 PM »

Interesting thing is, noone's going to hate this more than than the traditional Apple fanboys. Most of the MacOS geeks I know fall into two categories:

- Open source geeks who jumped on board back in the early 2000s when MacOS went Unix.

- People in the design field (like me): Audio, Video, Graphics, who realized that the Mac landscape for design software and hardware was so much richer

The iPad is a closed off device that is primarilly centered around content retrieval. That pretty much kills off a large majority of the Apple fanbase. So no, I don't think fanboys are going to snatch this thing up. I hope this thing fails quickly and misserably, so Apple will realize that their basic philosophy is flawed, and get back into making truly creative software/hardware like they did 4 years ago.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2010, 04:19:47 PM »

noone's going to hate this more than than the traditional Apple fanboys.

Peter's more of an Amiga guy, really.

So no, I don't think fanboys are going to snatch this thing up.

I do. They snatch everything up. They make sleek and fashionable-looking devices. Functionality's always been secondary. Price has always been tertiary.

Look at the iPod. For most of its lifespan it was overpriced and not appreciably better than the competition. Maybe that's different now. Maybe not. I don't know. People that want iPod's don't generally want them because they want a device that can play music. They want something trendy.

Then again, I don't really see much purpose in all the new stuff people are adding to cell phones these days. I mean, do you NEED to be fucking updating your facebook page 24/7?

o/` I do not dream o/`

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2010, 05:25:24 PM »

iPad? Mo' liek iFad!

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2010, 08:00:00 PM »

iPad? Mo' liek iFad!

No, to be a fad, you have to be popular in the first place. iPhail

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2010, 08:24:45 PM »

Apple has to make everything so fucking expensive.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2010, 09:25:49 PM »

The iPad -- stores up to one terabyte of menstrual discharge!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTzhXMbOWHE

Heard about this on NPR today. This skit is like, five years old. And now it becomes a reality.

(unfortunately the vid linked has the audio cut out in the last 20 seconds. You miss the tagline: "iPad -- don't ask us how it works")

Ithunn

Hmph.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2010, 10:35:56 PM »

I finally saw the video for this. Unfortunately I have a Mac and an iPhone and thus have absolutely no use for the iPad. It's a beautiful screen, but it lacks both the size I'm willing to randomly carry around and functionality. It's pretty much the screen of a mac laptop, touch-app intensive for the iphone, and lacks everything on a computer that I need for take and go. It also looks like something that is prone to breaking, scratching . . . the screen is so large, I see myself being 4x more anal than I do rubbing my iPhone.

But come to think of it, it would be a great lightweight device for college and would diminish those expensive purchases for laptops in school . .  well, I guess only if you're taking a hefty load of seminars inundated with .pdf/.doc reading . . . and don't have to type anything at all (or are resourceful and actually go to the library). Wondering how hot it gets as my iPhone and Macbook buuuuurrrrrrn me.
Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2010, 11:03:13 PM »

Just a thought: People said the DS was a fad.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2010, 11:28:26 PM »

the screen is so large, I see myself being 4x more anal than I do rubbing my iPhone.

or

4x more anal than I do rubbing my iPhone.

"Anal," "rubbing," "iPhone," and "large" do not. ever. belong. in. the same. sentence.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 12:20:31 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not dream o/`

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2010, 12:00:22 AM »

Then again, I don't really see much purpose in all the new stuff people are adding to cell phones these days.

I rather enjoy being able to pull up Google News or look up my mutual funds and/or stocks while I'm waiting in a long line at the store to get my groceries rung up.  The alternative is to stand there all bored-like, or try to pull up a conversation with people I've never met before who would find me incredibly creepy trying to talk to them out of the blue.

But hey.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: