Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2014, 04:05:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
337927 Posts in 13834 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Apple's iPad
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Print
Author Topic: Apple's iPad  (Read 12740 times)
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2010, 11:28:58 AM »

Oh look it's Logick, the former crack cocaine addict. How's it going dude.

Hey guys wanna see something amazing? Overlay a D&D alignment grid over that image. Mac/Mac is Chaotic Good! Fuck year! And windows is base and neutral because it's too lazy to even give a fuck.
You're accusing others of being elitist?

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2010, 01:25:37 PM »

eh, when it comes to the Mac/PC wars, both sides are elitist:

Mac users believe that PCs are uncivilized
PC users believe that Mac users are stupid

both are usually wrong.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2010, 07:01:26 PM »

Actually here's a simple exercise.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/apple2/tales-of-the-unknown-volume-i-the-bards-tale/screenshots/gameShotId,182142/ Apple 2.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/macintosh/tales-of-the-unknown-volume-i-the-bards-tale/screenshots/gameShotId,167144/ Mac.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/tales-of-the-unknown-volume-i-the-bards-tale/screenshots/gameShotId,44874/ Dos.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/amiga/tales-of-the-unknown-volume-i-the-bards-tale/screenshots/gameShotId,43706/ Amiga.

Amiga wins.

Amiga ALWAYS wins.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2010, 08:21:38 PM »

Well, except for the fact that the Mac is b/w, the Mac display and picture is a lot more detailed and refined than anything else. The Amiga is certainly better than the Apple ][ or DOS, but I wouldn't say it's a whole different ballpark. Being b/w did hurt the mac, but besides that, it had great resolution (comparably), nice clear type, and tended to offer higher resolution graphics, even if they were, as aforementioned, b/w.

Edit: Eh, on second look... the Amiga is deffinitely quite good. And it was probably much older than the Mac. But the Mac was kinda neat in its ability to do texture fills.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 08:23:16 PM by Prime Mover » Logged

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2010, 08:48:53 PM »

Hey guys wanna see something amazing? Overlay a D&D alignment grid over that image. Mac/Mac is Chaotic Good! Fuck year! And windows is base and neutral because it's too lazy to even give a fuck.

Did you just call yourself a cotton picker?
Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2010, 08:50:03 PM »

Edit: Eh, on second look... the Amiga is deffinitely quite good. And it was probably much older than the Mac. But the Mac was kinda neat in its ability to do texture fills.

Well the Amiga was designed for games in mind, it used to be THE graphical powerhouse and was used for graphics until well into the mid nineties, Babylon 5 season 1's CG was all amiga based.

well back to my crack cocaine habit :P

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2010, 08:52:17 PM »

eh, when it comes to the Mac/PC wars, both sides are elitist:

Mac users believe that PCs are uncivilized
PC users believe that Mac users are stupid

both are usually wrong.
I think it's you who's usually wrong, actually.

I didn't know using one type of OS system over the other in opinionated preference automatically lodged me into the category you just ripped out of your sodding asshole. It's not that I believe them uncivilized, no, far from that. I just wish they'd use a real computer for a change.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2010, 09:30:54 PM »

Prime:

The original Mac was actually a pretty cool system. Despite being black and white it had, as you said, the highest resolution of like, anything back then, which actually mattered a lot, looking back. A lot of DOS games from the era, despite having 16 colors, look horrible. Might and Magic 1 and 2 are the clearest example of this I think.

Also it's easy for me to see why they took the direction they did. The Apple 2's display was absolutely horrible, despite being in color. Someone explained the random pixel coloration thing to me once. Something about speed over accuracy?

In any case, some of the Mac games looked impressive as hell.

Anyway, I don't really... what I don't really buy is this notion of Apple's flawelessness. There aren't any companies that produce absolutely perfect work every time. I mean, on the Windows side, I'm completely happy with XP and I don't really have any problems with Vista*, but ME wasn't usable and the original versions of 95 and 98 had issues. And I'm not sure how windows 3.0 and earlier really qualify as anything more than cutesy DOS frontends.

The main issue I have with Vista is that it seems like it's, essentially, an OS geared at big, multi-user PCs. It does a pretty good job of that, I think. You can set it up to work in a Linux-ish manner where everyone's got their own profiles, files, etc and can't do anything they're not supposed to. The problem is that it was marketed for home users, and that kind of setup just doesn't make *sense* there.

My main issue with OSX is that I do sort of feel like there's this glitz over functionality trend. I'm not saying it's not functional. It functions quite well. It's just like... 3D, rotating jellyfish screensavers? Really fancy visual effects on the menu? Really? Do we need that? Of course, Vista does that too and I think that's sort of silly as well.

With the macs, I seem to recall some large period prior to OSX coming out where there sort of wasn't a decent Mac software base and there were lots of issues with intercommunication. I mean I'm sure a lot of the hardcore Appleites would deny that Apple ever had a big wandering aimlessly in the woods period but uh... Apple prior to 2001 sort of looked like that to everyone else.

In any case, I don't own a Mac and probably won't for any time in the near future. They're expensive, as computers are wont to be, and I'm not at all clear on why they'd be a superior product. Additionally, as far as software goes, there isn't any uniquely Mac software that I feel compelled to need/use. on the other hand, there is a lot of stuff exclusive to windows that I use on a daily basis.

When I tried Kubuntu out a couple of years ago, I have to admit, I liked it a more than windows. Except I didn't use for more than a period of two weeks because there just wasn't any software I particularly wanted for it.

Dios GX:

Fucking shut the fuck up for fuck's sake.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 09:48:33 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not dream o/`

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2010, 10:05:33 PM »

Did you just call yourself a cotton picker?
No, I just called you a narrow-minded elitist asshole. Maybe using weed has killed off too many of your brain cells to allow you to wrap your head around the fact that there are people who will disagree with you. Cut down on the drugs, dude.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 10:27:29 PM by Leyviur » Logged

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2010, 10:33:25 PM »

http://zzt.belsambar.net/ircman/index.php?func=display&m=&id=1440

Relevant.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2010, 11:47:21 PM »

I'll be accused of being an Apple fanboy for this, but I can't get behind Windows as a platform because of two issues:

1. It wasn't designed with human interface in mind. A quick study of its history shows a cobbling together of features cribbed largely from other systems, such as the GUI from the Mac (the Xerox PARC argument doesn't hold up; Apple hired the Xerox team to be part of the Mac dev team), folder hierarchy in general from BeOS, and other such controls from here and there.

2. It's been the lagging system for nearly a decade now. In nine years, Windows has trailed behind Linux and Mac OS developments, largely copying and cribbing their features. Where it had pulled ahead by the time of Windows 2000 in terms of security and stability, it was quickly overtaken first by the open-source community, and then by Apple itself which took cues from the open-source community.

Windows is "okay". It does what it has to, and you can get by using it. It has nothing on the other systems available, however. I do wish there were more customisation options available for the Mac where hardware is concerned, but I also like the stability and reliability of the hardware-software combinations offerred. My G5 Mac has lasted six years, my MacBook Pro has lasted four, with nary a problem save for an enter key popping off my MBP two weeks ago.

There's a case to be made for PC hardware. There's very little of a case for the Windows system.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: February 02, 2010, 01:26:05 AM »

How are Macs superior to PCs, anyway? Nobody's ever explained that to me.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: February 02, 2010, 05:14:36 AM »

Quality of parts, if you're talking about the hardware. The general quality control at Apple is in high standard, from the actual manufacturer's parts selected down to the enclosure. A Mac will generally last for 4-5 years without the need for major maintenance even in the hands of an "idiot" user.

In terms of interface? Superiority, if you want to call it that, comes from how the interface was designed in the first place -- the core philosophy. Apple embraced and contributed in the drive to make computers human-friendly, from how things psychologically read across a screen to the steps between the user and the computer's functions. A lot of time goes into making sure the Mac OS is generally "invisible" as far as user reception is concerned. There's a lot of subtlety which goes into the design, and it does make a big difference.

That said, technical superiority in the Mac field is largely thanks to its pedigree as a unix-derived system. Where it was always a pretty solid OS even before X came along, the X era has really raised the bar on what an OS should be about. If you look at how Windows and OS X have developed over the last decade, it's not hard to see who is copying whom, and which company is paying more attention to the computer community at large.
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: February 02, 2010, 05:54:35 AM »

Look, I've been a lifelong mac user and fan, but I'm willing to admit, noone's perfect, and noone's perfectly stupid. MacOS 8 was a disaster. Windows ME and Vista were disasters, and I currently think the iPad is a disaster. Meanwhile, I love Snow Leopard and Windows 7... there, you happy?

Bottom line, everyone sucks major ass and is going to hell because none of us are using Cray super computers, which are really the only really "serious" computer out there anyway.

It's like we're all 90 years old and masturbating to pictures of Kathy Lee Gifford.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: February 02, 2010, 06:00:07 AM »

Snip
My dad has been using a Windows-equipped PC for close to six years now, with no need for major maintenance. He is comfortable with its interface and rarely ever needs any troubleshooting, and even then it's for incredibly minor things.

There's no real incentive for anyone using a PC to switch to a Mac, what the hell is "how things psychologically reads across the screen" supposed to mean anyway? The whole "Mac is superior" thing seems trite and absurd to me. I can find literally nothing in your post that explains to me what a Mac offers a PC that I should even consider switching over.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 06:03:50 AM by Leyviur » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: