Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 09:09:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327320 Posts in 13402 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Apple's iPad
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Print
Author Topic: Apple's iPad  (Read 12477 times)
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: February 02, 2010, 09:03:08 AM »

Mac hardware can be more robustness because there really isn't any competition for Mac parts, you buy a Mac, and that's it. In the PC world, you have any number of companies making parts, which creates competition and price wars and leads to price cutting to stay competitive.

Macs are great for the person who wants to turn their computer on and just do something, PCs are great for people who want to fiddle around and perfect things.

It's like arguing about home theaters in a box vs stand alone components and EQ'ing everything. Both serve different markets.

To get back to the topic, I don't think the iPad makes sense for its target market with the way it currently exists.

Back before smartphones you had PDAs, Palm Pilots etc. No one just casually walked around with these things unless you were a business professional. The iTouch and iPhone was great in that it served one main purpose first, a music player and phone, to get it into the hands of the everyday person. The iPad is not a phone or a music player, and therefore only targets a specific area of the population competing with netbooks and small laptops.

While I don't think the iPad is a failure, I think it has an uphill battle if Apple expects it to take over like the iPod/iPhone did.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: February 02, 2010, 10:51:54 AM »

noone's perfect, and noone's perfectly stupid.

Dude stop being a dick. What did Herman and his Hermits ever do to you??

(JUST JOSHIN' /W YA BRO!)

what the hell is "how things psychologically reads across the screen" supposed to mean anyway?

Nothing. Like user-friendliness, it's a meaningless buzzword that conveys the notion that a product is easier to use while taking the burden off the people developing the product to actually explain HOW. It's advertising jargon. It's not a real metric for anything.

In terms of interface? Superiority, if you want to call it that, comes from how the interface was designed in the first place -- the core philosophy. Apple embraced and contributed in the drive to make computers human-friendly, from how things psychologically read across a screen to the steps between the user and the computer's functions.

Piggybacking off what Leyviur said, what does any of this actual mean? Yes, they DID embrace the philosophy of making computers accessible to the individual, but the Apple 2 was from, what, 1977? The notion of making computers that people can use isn't particularly NEW anymore. While all of what you're saying here's true if you strip out the marketing terminology, there's nothing particular unique about this philosophy now.

A lot of time goes into making sure the Mac OS is generally "invisible" as far as user reception is concerned. There's a lot of subtlety which goes into the design, and it does make a big difference.

What exactly does this mean? I'm assuming you mean that the interface is designed to be invisible to the user, so that they're only aware of working on the task at hand an not with working with the interface, correct? I'd want to say transparency might be a better word there, but that would sound more like "shows you exactly what it's doing at any given time" which isn't really what GUI's do. So I guess invisible's probably the best word here, if we're on the same page.

The problem is, that's only true if you grew up using Macs. I grew up using Windows. This doesn't say ANYTHING about OSX or Windows, mind. Just that you have different mental models depending on where you came from.

* The process of closing an application in OSX is different from in Windows. My initial thought is that pressing the red button on the top right-hand corner of an OSX window would make the program quit. It doesn't. It just minimizes it to the launcher bar. You have to click and hold/right click on the icon in the launcher bar to actually exit this.

While this doesn't present an issue to Mac users, this IS less-than-intuitive for a Windows user and actually prevents somewhat of a security issue on campus because Windows-users, attempting to use the public Macs, don't realize they're not actually QUITTING the application but just minimizing it, and thus may accidentally leave themselves logged into their webmail or other sensitive sites.

* Finder, in functionality, feels pretty much like Windows Explorer. This is fine, but the lack of a true Start Menu equivalent in OSX is sort of jarring for me, at least. While I go through Windows Explorer to launch a lot of programs/manipulate files/whatever, the Start menu is faster to use, by far.

* The way that the application's toolbar is always on the top of the screen and not actually attached to the same window as its program also feels peculiar coming from Windows, because you have to actually change focus to the window of a program before you can use its toolbar, whereas in windows if you have to windows open at the same time you... don't. Especially annoying with the latest iMacs because the screens are huge and it's very easy to tile windows.

* While the mouse is far from tied to the system, I do have to say that I find the Mac Pro Mouse really unintuitive. Because there's only a single button on top, it took me something like three years to realize that it's actually got different regions of sensitivity so that you can right click on things. Except even realizing that, because the buttons are fused, it requires a lot more precision than it really should. I'm not too big on the little scroll nub instead of an actual scroll wheel, and I'm not sure what the side buttons are supposed to do because they've never consistently done anything/the same thing on the Macs I've used.

* Also not big on the new keyboard they're using now. It feels flat and devoid of tactile feedback. Also I hate how they put metal spacers between the keys. My fingers always end up hitting them and that feels really odd to me.

Now, since it sounds like I've been ragging on the Mac -- and I'm not. I'm just illustrating that it's not nearly as intuitive as you might think if you're approaching it from a different mental model -- I want to make a few points.

* MacOS strongly tends towards a unified interface. Windows used to but stopped which is why you now get complete clusterfucks like the latest interface for Microsoft Office. Does anyone actually know how to use that? I sure as hell don't. Granted I used OpenOffice, but sometimes I'm on a lab computer, and they use MS Office. That interface in particular breaks just about every concept we learned in HCI class. Because Macs have a unified interface, programs are pretty much guaranteed to work around the same principle throughout the system.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: February 02, 2010, 11:24:10 AM »

I do agree that the interface with Office 2007 makes no sense at first, but you get used to it. I don't really understand why they thought that commands like save as shouldn't be in the quick toolbar default though and how most of the typical "File" commands are no where to be found aside from customizing the toolbar.
Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: February 02, 2010, 12:03:57 PM »

Dios GX:

Fucking shut the fuck up for fuck's sake.
It's OK baby. I used to feel inferior too.

Then I got a Mac.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 12:21:24 PM by Dios GX » Logged
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: February 02, 2010, 12:29:45 PM »

That makes about as much sense as people holding themselves above other people based on the number of times they've had sex.

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: February 02, 2010, 02:06:28 PM »

That makes about as much sense as people holding themselves above other people based on the number of times they've had sex.

What about the number of people you've had sex with? Number of locations you've had sex in? Number of... species?

o/` I do not dream o/`

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: February 02, 2010, 04:51:25 PM »

Number of drugs you've taken

Number of times you've almost died of a heart attack

Number of grades you were held back for being a goddamn idiot meathead.

Ahhh... so little time, so many stupid things to brag about.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: February 02, 2010, 04:55:44 PM »

goddamn idiot meathead.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Dios GX
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: February 02, 2010, 09:10:45 PM »

Hey remember the time that girl threw a bucket at your head because you barged in on her taking a bath?
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: February 02, 2010, 09:13:19 PM »

Yes.

Remember the time you tried to numb your hand with oil of clove to masturbate and ended up setting your penis on fire?

Dios GX
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: February 02, 2010, 09:14:03 PM »

Yeah that shit was funny, I have to admit. I told that story to my mom on the freeway once. We almost crashed and died.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: February 02, 2010, 09:14:53 PM »

Good times, good times.

Dios GX
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: February 02, 2010, 09:18:20 PM »

You notice we want to stab each other all the time but we also have the ability to relate so well?
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: February 02, 2010, 09:19:01 PM »

The irony is not lost on me.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: