Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2014, 07:23:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338664 Posts in 13863 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Resonance of Fate Topic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20 Print
Author Topic: Resonance of Fate Topic  (Read 44102 times)
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2010, 07:16:58 AM »

You know I remember back when FF8 came out we were liek WOAH ITS FOUR DISCS THATS SWEET but now it's become bad since when?

Are you kidding me? Back then when you only had cds it got people excited because it meant that the game was huge. People weren't saying "OMG I get to swap discs 3 times!!11!!1!!!" If back then you had a way of having the whole thing on a single disc it would have been a no brainer just like it is now. These days it would be like having a game on 4 blu-rays. Nobody would complain about the 4 discs because we currently don't have anything with superior storage capacity so that's the way it would have to be. People would get excited because they'd be like "OMG the game needs 4 discs?!" just like they did with FFVIII.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
citizenchris099

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2010, 01:38:15 PM »

I honestly never thought having multiple discs was cool....its allways been something that annoys me.
The one aspect of blu that I don't hear many mention is that its virtually scratch/skip proof. For me this is the one reason I would always get a PS3 version over 360.

Regarding RoF...I'm reserving my copy this weekend. It looks great and I like what I'm hearing from the op. Also I'm such a sucker for custom outfits lol

--
Chris

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Everything that happens will happen today
and nothing has changed, but nothing's the same
and every tomorrow could be yesterday
and everything that happens will happen today"

-David Byrne
Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2010, 02:46:03 PM »

It's really too bad this game isn't getting more exposure.  I haven't seen any cover art or anything for it.  I even had to explain to the Gamestop guy what the game was when I preordered it and he seemed very confused (though that might have been because I'm not very good at explaining things clearly when on the spot).

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2010, 02:50:03 PM »

Most people here don't seem to remember the days of when game disc # = length of game, and therefore games with more discs were better because they were longer, atleast that was an arguement that fanboys often used.

I mean just look at how many people bitched about Xenosaga 2's 1st disc ending at 8 or so hours and that was only a few years ago.
citizenchris099

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2010, 02:55:38 PM »

It's really too bad this game isn't getting more exposure.  I haven't seen any cover art or anything for it.  I even had to explain to the Gamestop guy what the game was when I preordered it and he seemed very confused (though that might have been because I'm not very good at explaining things clearly when on the spot).

The above game stop experience is unfortunately a common one for me.  Its a mistake to assume these guys ever know all that much about games beyond what FPS is hot and the like.

--
Chris

-David Byrne
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2010, 03:07:14 PM »

I haven't seen any cover art or anything for it.

But that was unveiled months ago! Though, well, choosing to release the game right inbetween FFXIII and Strange Journey doesn't help much!
Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2010, 03:42:52 PM »

I haven't seen any cover art or anything for it.

But that was unveiled months ago! Though, well, choosing to release the game right inbetween FFXIII and Strange Journey doesn't help much!
Should've clarified that.  I meant cover art displays at stores themselves, rather than online.

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
citizenchris099

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2010, 04:02:56 PM »

Only reason I herd of the game was from an Amazon Listmania PS3 RPGs list.

Is it really all about marketing? I mean even if the name and marketing are the reason a JRPG like Final Fatasy will have cross over and even mainstream appeal. Don't the people who pick up the game who don't normally play RPGs ever ask...where are more games like this? Am I the only one like that? Or do they get their fill of JRPGs with FF and move back to Call of Duty

--
Chris

-David Byrne
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2010, 04:06:18 PM »

It's possible that some people played non-FF JRPGs, were unimpressed, and have since stuck with just FF. I was somewhat like that during the 16-bit days, so it does seem to be a possibility.
Akira
The Renegade of this Atomic Age

jonnybfbi
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2010, 04:08:23 PM »

Review is finished and shall be posted very soon. It's mostly positive, to such an extent that I feel like I'm doing Sega's marketing for them.

Where the hell is my check?

"You must defeat my Dragon Punch to stand a chance."
citizenchris099

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2010, 04:16:05 PM »

Review is finished and shall be posted very soon. It's mostly positive, to such an extent that I feel like I'm doing Sega's marketing for them.

Where the hell is my check?

I don't even need to read it...your positive feedback up until this point is enough. and I think sega owes you money for sure : )

--
Chris

-David Byrne
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2010, 04:32:07 PM »

Somehow I am having flashbacks to the release of Valkyria Chronicles, another excellent Sega-published RPG that was released with zero fanfare immediately after the biggest RPG release of the year (Fallout 3 in that case...).  It's like Sega *wants* their RPGs to fail in the US...

citizenchris099

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2010, 04:38:12 PM »

Somehow I am having flashbacks to the release of Valkyria Chronicles, another excellent Sega-published RPG that was released with zero fanfare immediately after the biggest RPG release of the year (Fallout 3 in that case...).  It's like Sega *wants* their RPGs to fail in the US...

I guess it depends on what they consider success. If they are going after mainstream audiences like FF13 /FO 3 then yeah...they are going to fail. But if they want the base....the niche audience that goes for this sorta thing. Well thats yet to be seen.
Maybe I'm taking crazy pills but I will buy just about any half way decent looking RPG for my PS3. As there seems to be such a dearth of releases in the genre.

--
Chris

-David Byrne
Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2010, 04:45:15 PM »

You know I remember back when FF8 came out we were liek WOAH ITS FOUR DISCS THATS SWEET but now it's become bad since when?

Are you kidding me? Back then when you only had cds it got people excited because it meant that the game was huge. People weren't saying "OMG I get to swap discs 3 times!!11!!1!!!" If back then you had a way of having the whole thing on a single disc it would have been a no brainer just like it is now. These days it would be like having a game on 4 blu-rays. Nobody would complain about the 4 discs because we currently don't have anything with superior storage capacity so that's the way it would have to be. People would get excited because they'd be like "OMG the game needs 4 discs?!" just like they did with FFVIII.

You inferred what you wanted from my post, and assumed that's what I meant.

I was talking about "oh wow it takes that many CDs? They can hold more than cartridges though. This game must be huge!" Seeing is you've now quoted me, and repeated exactly what I've said, I felt the need to do the same.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 04:46:52 PM by Dios GX » Logged
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2010, 04:54:20 PM »

Actually, now that I'm thinking about it there's another reason to prefer single discs: storage, especially over the long term. It sucks that I can't play Lunar 2 because I don't know where the other two discs are, Panzer Dragoon Saga's 4th disc is unaccounted for, and Valkyrie Profile's first disc has label side scratches. Hell, even for more recent games Lost Odyssey's second disc somehow developed a crack despite being in its case that is itself intact, though the disc itself is playable. At worst, with single disc games I don't have an incomplete copy to pour salt on the wound, it's outright broken or missing.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 04:56:16 PM by Eusis » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: