Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 11:32:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334793 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Resonance of Fate Topic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 20 Print
Author Topic: Resonance of Fate Topic  (Read 43442 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 24, 2010, 03:11:37 PM »

The problem is usually that the story's not an insignificant portion of the game. Admittedly SO4 addresses this (cutscene recaps upon skipping!), but in IU there was no such option so it wasn't as viable of an option to just skip everything. Hell, I hate to skip cutscenes so I'd probably suffer through them in SO4 when/if I play. It's funny really, I had felt the same way with SO3 (so what if the story sucks? The game's a lot of fun) but they reigned themselves in enough tot not be offensively bad.
Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: March 24, 2010, 05:45:27 PM »

I liked SO4 when I initially played it on the 360, but I found it to be much more bearable with Japanese voice work. Of course, the content is still there but it is easier to passively watch it when the cheesy dialog isn't spoken by terrible voice actors in your language. Now, I just let whatever is going on in the story pass by without much thought and get to the fun gameplay. However, I wouldn't really try IU again even with such an option, I just didn't like that game at all. It seems to me that they toned all of this down for Resonance of Fate, and it's a nice change so far.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 05:47:19 PM by Jet16 » Logged
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 24, 2010, 06:03:29 PM »

From the one cutscene I saw of RoF it seems like it has the typical current tri-Ace stupidity counter balanced by... Nolan North. It's kind of odd.
citizenchris099

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: March 24, 2010, 06:54:46 PM »

From the one cutscene I saw of RoF it seems like it has the typical current tri-Ace stupidity counter balanced by... Nolan North. It's kind of odd.

lol and I'm playing in Japanese so I miss out on Nolan lol

Japanese....anything just doesn't make since to me dubbed. I can't imagine playing SO4 w/the dub. I switched the language track over to English at the request of my GF one afternoon (she hates reading subtitles) and even she was so irritated she asked me to switch it back :P

--
Chris

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Everything that happens will happen today
and nothing has changed, but nothing's the same
and every tomorrow could be yesterday
and everything that happens will happen today"

-David Byrne
Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: March 24, 2010, 06:55:50 PM »

Most of my time with RoF has actually been with the battle system, so I may be speaking a bit soon. So far, RoF with Japanese voice work hasn't been nearly as annoying as IU or SO4 in English. But upon hearing that North was in the main cast and that all three of them actually do a decent job, I decided to switch to English voices. The one cut scene I saw with their voices was actually alright enough for me to keep it like that.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: March 26, 2010, 01:45:08 AM »

The trailers and video reviews I've seen of this game remind me of the Seanbaby MK: Annihilation review:

"Any mode of travel that ISN'T a front flip, such as walking, seems strictly forbidden in Mortal Kombat ettiquette. This reaches the peak of ridiculousness when Shao Kahn has to break the news to his father that Raiden is still alive by, as remorsefully as possible, somersaulting down the stairs at incredible speeds."

Assuming I do get it, should I grab it for PS3 or 360?

You ain't just whistling Dixie there, sonny.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: March 26, 2010, 08:30:15 AM »

I'm completely on the fence with this game. I really can't tell if I'm going to regret buying this or not.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Dizzy

死ぬがよい

awe.of.she.1@gmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: March 26, 2010, 09:39:07 AM »

The trailers and video reviews I've seen of this game remind me of the Seanbaby MK: Annihilation review:

"Any mode of travel that ISN'T a front flip, such as walking, seems strictly forbidden in Mortal Kombat ettiquette. This reaches the peak of ridiculousness when Shao Kahn has to break the news to his father that Raiden is still alive by, as remorsefully as possible, somersaulting down the stairs at incredible speeds."

Assuming I do get it, should I grab it for PS3 or 360?

You ain't just whistling Dixie there, sonny.

That is by far my favorite chapter ever. God, I love this game. XD

mjrpgfan

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: March 27, 2010, 08:54:36 AM »

It's funny, looking at your complaints I see the kind of stuff that I think FFXIII did a great job avoiding.

I actually liked FFXIII's extreme linearity and action focus.  I'm used to linear SRPGs and linear action games that don't make the player backtrack or hold up on the analog stick for minutes at a time.  Now if only there were some decent SRPGs coming out this year.. VC2 is coming out but I've heard it's easy and even more broken than the first one in terms of imbalanced classes.

I think RoF a decent game, worth a playthrough if you are a fan of RPGs.  Maybe not quite worth launch price of $60, but if you want to play the game 10 times in a row you will get your moneys worth.

I did edit the review slightly since I posted it.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 11:55:40 AM by mjrpgfan » Logged
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: March 27, 2010, 09:32:58 AM »

Well, I for one am enjoying the setting and story of RoF, even though it has all the fun JRPG storyline trappings, the change of setting is refreshing. Just like any Tri-Ace title you have either a love it or hate it relationship with the gameplay. Their tradition of bonus content continues too. I haven't found it nearly as intellectually insulting as FFXIII was and the fact that you have a quest structure is nice. The voice acting is pretty good, and I've been playing videogames too long to let lip synching issues bother me, but to each his own. I struggled to finish SO4, and even the combat got banal after the seemingly never ending dungeons (hated the story and the characters IMMENSELY) but I actually had fun with IU despite its flaws. Honestly if you like Tri-Ace games, you'll enjoy RoF, if you can't stand them, it wont change your opinion. Rent it if your on the fence.
Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: March 27, 2010, 09:33:38 PM »

I bought this game today just because I saw this scene on Youtube and laughed my head off:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owAoZzYgKec

Does that make me a horrible person?

...All we have are raisins. :|

Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: March 28, 2010, 08:38:06 AM »

Holy shit, haven't gotten to that point yet but I love the game's sense of humor. Stupid Adamantoise's and their no dropping Trapezohedrons sucking up all my free time ><
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: March 28, 2010, 10:39:27 AM »

Holy shit, haven't gotten to that point yet but I love the game's sense of humor. Stupid Adamantoise's and their no dropping Trapezohedrons sucking up all my free time ><

To me the game's sense of humor is really hit and miss.  I liked that scene a lot, but others just made me want to hit my head against a wall.  I'm generally very tolerant of these things, too.  I think I'm in agreement that the game's story is quite bad.

About the Trap:
. . .Really?
The Adamantoise always seemed to drop more Trapezohedrons than they did Platinum Ingots for me.  By the time I finished my Platinum for this game I had about ~15 unused Trapezohedrons on me.  I had infinitely more problems making money than I did the ultimate weapons.   And yes, I know this isn't the XIII thread.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 10:50:59 AM by Cyril » Logged
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: March 28, 2010, 01:40:03 PM »

I'm loving this game!  I honestly was reaaallly on the fence - the first hour is really tedious and difficult, and you will likely die unless you listen to the tutorials.  But after that, and the little awkward learning phase; it really started to grow on me.

I love the difficulty, the customization, the use of tactic.  And yeah, re-doing simple battles (or maybe I just blow at this game) can get annoying - but it certainly makes you learn fast.

Leanne is a doll; I found the humour worked; the setting great; the music....cheesy but it sounds like a proper movie almost.  I can't wait to see where this game takes its story direction, sadly.  I'm optimistic with the buildup - but knowing tri-ace...

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: April 01, 2010, 12:43:23 AM »

Fun fact I just noticed (and may be behind the times on).
Compact Scope B sells for more than you can buy it for.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 20 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: