Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 01:28:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334817 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Site Related & More
| |-+  RPGFan: The Site
| | |-+  FFCC: Crystal Bearers better than FF XIII? LOL
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: FFCC: Crystal Bearers better than FF XIII? LOL  (Read 9499 times)
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2010, 08:23:56 PM »

Drivel.
For someone who's awfully self-congratulatory due to belief of your own intelligence, you sure have a difficult time considering that reviews represent the ideas and opinions of independent editors and not the entire site. Please feel free to continue making a total idiot of yourself though, it's funny watching retards like you froth at the mouth when games you like don't get the score you want.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 08:33:27 PM by Leyviur » Logged

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2010, 08:25:55 PM »

Oh no! You found me!

I don't think you were in any way masking your identity. I just thought, if people wanted to make friends on facebook with one of our newest and most vocal members of the forums, there's the opportunity.

puzzl

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2010, 08:33:11 PM »

Oh no! You found me!

I don't think you were in any way masking your identity. I just thought, if people wanted to make friends on facebook with one of our newest and most vocal members of the forums, there's the opportunity.

send it, I'll accept it. I have nothing to hide. I am sick of hearing the term "JRPG cliche" by the endless streams of haters, and when a supposed RPG site touts the same crap it is awfully offputting. There are still legions of turn-based, random battle lovers out there, but we've been all but drowned out by the casual Mass Effect 2 junkies, and it's a shame when one of our only triumphant leaders starts insulting our chosen virtue just as much as everyone else.

This is nothing new here, I've been watching it happen for years; the FFCC review followed by the pathetically gushing ME2 review was the final nail in the coffin.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2010, 08:34:59 PM »

Oh, a Japanophile! This should be entertaining!

Just so you know, JRPG cliché is an oxymoron.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 08:38:26 PM by Leyviur » Logged

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2010, 08:38:08 PM »

I'm having a really hard time fitting the person you portray with someone who really wants to enjoy FFXIII. Isn't that game a part of the wayward trend you loathe? It cuts towns, NPCs, open world exploration (until endgame) ... that's a big blow to the paradigm you've grown to love, right?

And as I said in an earlier post, we've showered a ridiculous amount of love on the Shin Megami Tensei titles. How exactly are we letting down a hardcore JRPG fan when we say those games are good?

If you'd like, feel free to hit me up with a facebook friend request. Real name is Patrick Gann, and I *think* I'm the only one on FB.

puzzl

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2010, 08:46:36 PM »

http://imgur.com/04FUW.png

It's not about FF XIII, really. I'm not happy with where they took the series either. The FFCC vs FF XIII post was more to illustrate a point into the ridiculous turn this site has taken. Even if XIII is a let-down, there is simply no way it is worse than the new FFCC. It doesn't matter that the numbers are from two different reviewers; they represent your site, and thus those are the opinions of your site.

The real concern is the second part, about the hatred spewed towards JRPGs around these parts. I know it's not JRPGFan, but the people who need the site are exactly those, and not the WRPG fans. There is enough gushing WRPG love and JRPG slander in the mainstream media, I hardly think they care about having a site where they find peace. People come here that love Final Fantasy, old school Square, turn-based battles and tactical thinking; it's a shame when our sanctuary is greeted with ridicule.

So you guys loved Persona 4: that's awesome. But let's put it this way: you picked FALLOUT 3 as Game of the Year last year! Come on! It is hardly an RPG, it is loaded with a pathetically amateur story, riddled with bugs, boring, easy, endlessly repetitive, and pretty much stands as an insult to anyone whose ever been a fan of a true RPG. The forum may stand behind you, but I can't imagine I'm the only non-forum-based reader who was alarmed and hugely put off by the decision.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2010, 08:49:52 PM »

How is Fallout 3 "hardly a RPG?" Many JRPGs also have a 'pathetically amateur story,' have bugs, are boring, easy, endlessly repetitive, et al. There's nothing in your argument that objectively assesses why Fallout 3 SHOULDN'T have been GotY.

Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2010, 02:07:14 AM »

If you had the reading comprehension of a 3rd grader you'd have seen that the talk of "real" RPGs had everything to do with this laughable,

my dick is small

You know, you may want to re-read the very unfunny, very boring stuff you typed. I don't think a 3rd grader would know what this thread is even about. Though, if you meant to type "if you had at least a 3rd grader's reading comprehension," it would have made more sense.

But that would mean you have the mentality of someone above a 3rd grader. Try harder next time champ.

Also, I think it's funny that your brilliantly thought-out point you were trying to illustrate amounts to "I dislike arbitrary numbers an individual put next to his well-written opinions."

You're going off numbers, not the individual's in-depth opinion. In short, you're the type to look at base, up-in-front bullshit that has only slight relevance to things. For someone who professes his love of JRPGs, you sure aren't acting like the type that actually reads anything. You know, the review for it and all that.

What I'm trying to illustrate here is that you're a bleeding hypocritical fuck. I hope I made that clear.

Sincerely,
God of Internet
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 02:13:52 AM by Dios GX » Logged
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2010, 11:04:51 AM »

It's not about FF XIII, really. I'm not happy with where they took the series either. The FFCC vs FF XIII post was more to illustrate a point into the ridiculous turn this site has taken. Even if XIII is a let-down, there is simply no way it is worse than the new FFCC. It doesn't matter that the numbers are from two different reviewers; they represent your site, and thus those are the opinions of your site.

The real concern is the second part, about the hatred spewed towards JRPGs around these parts. I know it's not JRPGFan, but the people who need the site are exactly those, and not the WRPG fans. There is enough gushing WRPG love and JRPG slander in the mainstream media, I hardly think they care about having a site where they find peace. People come here that love Final Fantasy, old school Square, turn-based battles and tactical thinking; it's a shame when our sanctuary is greeted with ridicule.

So you guys loved Persona 4: that's awesome. But let's put it this way: you picked FALLOUT 3 as Game of the Year last year! Come on! It is hardly an RPG, it is loaded with a pathetically amateur story, riddled with bugs, boring, easy, endlessly repetitive, and pretty much stands as an insult to anyone whose ever been a fan of a true RPG. The forum may stand behind you, but I can't imagine I'm the only non-forum-based reader who was alarmed and hugely put off by the decision.

RPGS ARE NOT A RELIGION AND JRPGS ARE IN A SHITHOLE RIGHT NOW MUCH LIKE FIGHTING GAMES WERE BETWEEN 2000-2005. KINDLY STOP PREACHING.
Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2010, 01:39:26 PM »

Actually, some of us actually do shit in real life, and have more pressing matters to concern ourselves over. You, apparently, have nothing better to do in your real, actual life, but get butt-hurt and cryass about someone else's opinion.

Just because you suck dick at Fallout 3 doesn't mean you should act like a girl. It's entertaining though. I do hope you continue posting here regularly. I could use a bitch.
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2010, 02:04:01 PM »

What? No drawings this time around? I expect drawings of rage when I come back.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2010, 04:17:47 PM »

This isn't cosapi, dude.  This guy here is more of a Gen Eric Gui clone.  And the moral of the story is that you can yell at the TV all you want, but the production team behind the show is still going to do it its way anyway.  If you like it, stick around.  If you don't like it, watch another channel.  Of course, yelling at the TV during award shows is something even the sanest among us do; calling the committee suits or people (if it's peoples' choice) a bunch of clueless moronic sheep or worse.

Regardless, we've beaten this dead horse to a hamburger pulp already.  The state of the RPG in general is in a bit of a rut.  I think part of it is the economy.  People are more careful about where to place their hard-earned but meager cash and will more likely place it on a sure thing.  Hence why companies like Square Enix are cashing in like crazy on their numerous FF remakes. 
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 04:20:26 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2010, 05:53:15 PM »

1) good to know I'm the most attractive Patrick Gann on Facebook! Turns out though, I'm listed as Pat Gann. go figure!

http://www.facebook.com/people/Pat-Gann/

2) I really liked Fallout 3. It was a close call between that and Valkyria Chronicles in 2008. So you at least have that, right?

3) Regarding this specific statement: "It doesn't matter that the numbers are from two different reviewers; they represent your site, and thus those are the opinions of your site." We do not exercise any sort of heavy-handed control over our editors. Consider the Jeff Gerstmann fiasco @ Gamespot with Kane & Lynch that led to him being fired and then starting Giantbomb (a far better site). We don't force people to change their words, nor do we force them to change their scores. If we think it seems wildly out of line, we'll certainly question them (example: if James Clark had given FFXIII a 60%, I'd ask him if he's trying to sensationalize his low opinion of the game for the sake of notoriety). But we don't force them to fit certain numbers.

I'll give you that the numbers DO represent the site overall. What you fail to recognize is that what we have posted right now is one. import.review. The game isn't even out in English-speaking countries yet. When it comes here, we'll probably have two or more reviewers on it. Will they like it more than James? I can't know for sure, but probably, yes. Will it get higher scores? Likely. Could it receive an editor's choice award from some individuals? Maybe.

Editorial control, in the form of forcing numbers to fit what some elite group of editors (say, Eric Farand as editor in chief, or him and his best friend) think the review should be ranked as, seems wholly unethical to me. If the tradeoff is that we occasionally end up with one person scoring FFCC higher than another person scores FFXIII, and one or two readers get angry enough to start a thread like this, I'd say the tradeoff is well worth it so that INDIVIDUALS can maintain their opinion without having to be forced to conform to some arbitrary standard.

Ramza

puzzl

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2010, 10:07:26 PM »

The state of the RPG in general is in a bit of a rut. 

Perhaps I am just in denial.

Pat, your facebook link still doesn't work..
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2010, 11:04:34 PM »

man I suck at Facebook stuff.

www.facebook.com/people/Pat-Gann/34102025

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: