Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 05:53:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334702 Posts in 13707 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  The Last Guardian
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16 Print
Author Topic: The Last Guardian  (Read 27356 times)
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« on: February 02, 2010, 01:17:08 PM »

The official site is up:

http://www.jp.playstation.com/scej/title/trico/

The first trailer (E3 2009) left me speechless (and was the deciding factor for buying a PS3 over a 360) and when I look at these pics I'm still at a complete loss for words.

I hope the existence of this site means that the japanese release date is near.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 03:47:10 PM »

It's pretty much the only reason for me to purchase a Sony product this generation. The team behind it basically creates art. Most people chalk up Shadow of the Colossus as being art, but I think it's true of ICO and will be true of The Last Guardian as well. In a few months, I think I may need to put some money together. :)
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 04:28:45 PM »

I get the feeling that Shadow of the Colossus appealled more to people's visceral side, and was able to gain more of a following than ICO. I prefered ICO (though I loved both). SotC's feel was more hinged on the old "knight's quest to battle dragons and save a lady" cliche, and revolved much more around combat. I'll usually take problem solving over combat, which is probably why I prefered ICO. I also loved the sheer magic of the environment, as apposed to the constant "doom and gloom" feeling of SotC. I'll admit, these are only very minor feelings, and I absolutely adored both games. But I'm glad this one is looking more like it's going with the innocence of Ico than the viscerality of SotC.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 04:32:47 PM »

With this and Heavy Rain, it's good to see that more patient gameplay still has a place. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 04:41:27 PM »

From what I've seen, I don't think you can call what Heavy Rain has "gameplay" in any sense of the word.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 06:36:55 PM »

From what I've seen, I don't think you can call what Heavy Rain has "gameplay" in any sense of the word.

Oh wow.  Gen and I are on the same side for once.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 07:00:33 PM »

It's true, as it largely was of Indigo Prophecy. Fact is, the gameplay mechanic probably won't be anything special. It's the writing and human presentation they're better at.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 07:05:44 PM »

I'm pretty much ignoring Heavy Rain as a whole, as I don't see anything compelling enough for me to buy it.

The Last Guardian on the other hand, is on preorder the moment a release date shows.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 07:47:26 PM »

I'll be ignoring Heavy Rain as well. The 10 minute "gameplay" videos I've watched were snooze inducing. The Last Guardian will be a day one purchase definitely. I've been waiting for a game to match SotC's scale and presentation with as simple of a premise as it had. I can't wait.

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 08:13:16 PM »

With this and Heavy Rain, it's good to see that more patient gameplay still has a place. 

Perhaps it was an issue of semantics.  What I was getting at is that with games like this and Heavy Rain, it's good to see that in the faced-paced culture of gaming right now, that there is still a place for more "patient" gaming experiences. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 11:24:30 AM »

I prefered ICO (though I loved both). SotC's feel was more hinged on the old "knight's quest to battle dragons and save a lady" cliche, and revolved much more around combat. I'll usually take problem solving over combat, which is probably why I prefered ICO.

I agree with this completely, though SOTC's *awful* camera is part of why I prefer Ico.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 10:14:56 AM »

I really hope that the powers that be are giving this man everything he needs to realize his vision. It won't sell as much as GT5 but it deserves the same support. They need to realize how much the industry needs this and how high expectations are because of the cult status achieved by the 2 previous games. This game's importance goes way beyond sales, it's obviously a risk in this day and age so I'm happy to see that apparently the company is behind him. You don't get the magic of team ico anywhere else and for that alone this project has to get all the support it needs.
You look back on the PS2's amazing library and as good as GT4 is, a racing game is a racing game, as good as god of war is, an action game is an action game. But these games are unique and if nothing else sony should be aware of what having something like this on your system means.
All I see on the net is bitching and negativity and it makes me sick but these are the only games I can think of that get almost universal praise. Even if you're a suit that only worries about numbers, this has to count for something.
Hell, fly members from SSM or ND to japan if needed but if Ueda says he wants something get it done.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 06:13:27 PM »

I'm trying to figure out what prompted your concern.  Team ICO hasn't released a game since 2005; they're obviously taking their time.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2010, 06:21:58 PM »

Nothing in particular, I just want it to be as good as it possibly can and I wonder if the poor sales of the previous games are limiting the resources at Ueda's disposal. Ueda said that he would ask for HD remakes of the games in a meeting with sony execs. We haven't heard about it since except for that poll. With all the word of mouth I think it would definitely have decent sales but sony apparently don't think so. They are definitely taking their time though, that's for sure. I'm glad that they are being allowed to take so long, it's definitely a good sign.

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2010, 10:53:02 AM »

Digital foundry looking at Ico/SOTC running on a PC emulator:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ico-and-shadow-of-the-colossus-emulated-in-hd

Also a look at the original version of SOTC. I never realized that the frame rate was THAT bad, during fights its 12-16 fps... Man, just imagine this beauty in HD at 60 fps. If there was a PS2 game too ambitious for the hardware this was it.
Check out how much better yorda looks in that Ico comparison video, great stuff.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: