Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2014, 06:32:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338408 Posts in 13853 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  The Last Guardian
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16 Print
Author Topic: The Last Guardian  (Read 28683 times)
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2011, 06:33:07 PM »

I think 6 years is way too long for development.

I'm sure the game's graphics will make me game-gasm, but I gotta agree.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2011, 06:39:17 PM »

The game has been in development for 6 years, even if they released it today it would hardly be rushed. Making people wait this long only creates insane levels of expectation that eventually become impossible to match. Let's hope for the best.

That's if you actually let yourself get overhyped. Keeping expectations down to Earth is the secret to enjoying games!

Words of wisdom. I do that a lot otherwise there is no real way to match one's expectations, especially with a current console generation that is very hit or miss.

I always do that, the internet doesn't though. I always go in with low expectations and an open mind. I try to see where the developers are coming from and why they made the decisions they made, even when I don't agree with them. I'm very fair when judging games.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2011, 07:05:23 PM »

TLG is a no show at GDC according to some website: http://n4g.com/news/702649/the-last-guardian-to-miss-gdc/com

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2011, 07:06:33 PM »

TLG is a no show at GDC according to some website: http://n4g.com/news/702649/the-last-guardian-to-miss-gdc/com

Fingers crossed for E3.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2011, 08:06:33 PM »

There's no way they're missing this year's E3. Hopefully they'll throw us a bone this time around and allow us to sample the OST.

And regarding development time, Ico was in development for 3 years between 1998 and 2001. By that time we had 2 Metal Gears, 3 main Final Fantasy entries, 3 main Resident Evils, 2 Silent Hills and 2 freaking Gran Turismos. I think 6 years for an HD masterpiece from that team aint that bad, especially considering the difference between developing for the PS1 and the PS3.

Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2011, 12:12:32 AM »

There's no way they're missing this year's E3. Hopefully they'll throw us a bone this time around and allow us to sample the OST.

And regarding development time, Ico was in development for 3 years between 1998 and 2001. By that time we had 2 Metal Gears, 3 main Final Fantasy entries, 3 main Resident Evils, 2 Silent Hills and 2 freaking Gran Turismos. I think 6 years for an HD masterpiece from that team aint that bad, especially considering the difference between developing for the PS1 and the PS3.

That's interesting when you think about it.  I never followed ICO back from 1998-2001.  Seems like I don't remember reading about it in PSM back then and I was a subscriber from 98-04.  Then the magazine started to go downhill after that.  A few people are worried that TLG may not release this year and some are even saying it won't show at E3 this year and they are crazy to think that.  I hope we get the ICO and SotC Collection in the next few months.

Currently Playing-The Evil Within
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2011, 12:55:43 AM »

I think 6 years is way too long for development.

I'm sure the game's graphics will make me game-gasm, but I gotta agree.

Well how can they be competitive in graphics unless they revised their engine several times during that long ass time?

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2011, 01:00:56 AM »

Probably with a competent graphics engine and an amazing art direction. This is Team Ico, the technical quality of the visuals is more a means to an end unlike something like Crysis.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2011, 01:50:39 AM »

That's interesting when you think about it.  I never followed ICO back from 1998-2001.  Seems like I don't remember reading about it in PSM back then and I was a subscriber from 98-04.

Nobody followed Ico back then.  It was Team Ico's first game.  They were a completely unknown factor.

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2011, 08:45:29 AM »

Japanese developers need to get their shit together. By the time TLG is released Naughty Dog will have produced 3 uncharted games, they even found the time to throw in multiplayer not to mention the fact that they created one of the most impressive engines you'll find from scratch.
Same goes for polyphony digital, square-enix and others. Duke Nukem is a different issue, there where all kinds of external problems, the game even got to the point of being cancelled. The developers I mentioned had all the resources they needed right from the start, it's really hard to justify these 6 year development cycles with anything other than poor management.
Let's put it this way, if every developer took this long to create a game this industry would be in trouble. There are a lot of european and american studios showing us every day that it's possible to create a fantastic game in 2 or 3 years.

The higher ups at SE seem to have realized this since they announced plans to release a AAA title every 2 years, let's see if they manage to deliver XIII-2 this year and Versus in 2012 like they promised.

Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2011, 11:00:16 AM »

Japanese developers need to get their shit together. By the time TLG is released Naughty Dog will have produced 3 uncharted games, they even found the time to throw in multiplayer not to mention the fact that they created one of the most impressive engines you'll find from scratch.
Same goes for polyphony digital, square-enix and others. Duke Nukem is a different issue, there where all kinds of external problems, the game even got to the point of being cancelled. The developers I mentioned had all the resources they needed right from the start, it's really hard to justify these 6 year development cycles with anything other than poor management.
Let's put it this way, if every developer took this long to create a game this industry would be in trouble. There are a lot of european and american studios showing us every day that it's possible to create a fantastic game in 2 or 3 years.

The higher ups at SE seem to have realized this since they announced plans to release a AAA title every 2 years, let's see if they manage to deliver XIII-2 this year and Versus in 2012 like they promised.

I blame Japan's life employment policies for their development woes. They are way behind the west in programing because of it.
http://www.industrygamers.com/news/inafune--the-japanese-game-industry-is-like-a-communist-state/
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2011, 01:17:20 PM »

I miss Inafune :(

Currently Playing-The Evil Within
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2011, 01:26:44 PM »

Gamespot written preview.

Last Guardian demo 'being considered' for Ico/SotC Collection.

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2011, 01:44:35 PM »

A demo for a Team ICO game? erhm... that for some reason doesn't sound right to me, I'll be more than satisfy with a new "exclusive" trailer for the compilation. Either way, if they decide put a demo on the disc I will not play it.

I want to play The Last Guardian without knowing too much about the game. The less I know, the better is going to be the experience for me.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2011, 01:56:06 PM »

I hope I can get my hands on a PS3 soon and play the ico collection.

I have the ps2 but never beat ico, and now it looks simply miserable on hi def tvs. I'm not much of a snob in that area but it's no good at all.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: