Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 30, 2014, 06:25:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329967 Posts in 13522 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  LOST (Season 6)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: LOST (Season 6)  (Read 9058 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2010, 01:30:21 PM »

I agree pretty much.  I love how it touched on salvation and redemption and all that what not.  THe island's mysteries don't really feel to concluded and that one of my favorite parts of the show.  I didn't feel any sort of threat from the Man in Black.  His existence was a threat to humanity and so was the light shimmering light - but it didn't matter.  He just wanted to leave, but no one would let him.  I got distracted mid episode; so did they ever explain this?
It was a fucked up island- but not enough answers explaining its origin.

We have a great character conclusion- but I felt the epilogue was lacking.

As soon as it ended, I thought it interesting how Ben decided to stay behind - continue his "purgatory" trial I suppose.

Is it safe to say that the "flash sideways" was further in the future, when all the characters had died (and they've just been running amock in the afterlife/purgatory)?  They just needed to find each other to reach heaven/nirvana?
Meanwhile Hurley and Ben remained to protect shimmering life light?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 02:00:32 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Alexander
Easy Bake Covenant

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2010, 04:42:35 PM »

Is it safe to say that the "flash sideways" was further in the future, when all the characters had died (and they've just been running amock in the afterlife/purgatory)?  They just needed to find each other to reach heaven/nirvana?
Meanwhile Hurley and Ben remained to protect shimmering life light?

You're mostly right.  The Flash-Sideways timeline is one created by the characters in order to find ultimate rest after their adventures on the island.  It is a distant continuation of the original timeline only created by the ultimate end of each character within it.  As Christian said (I'm paraphrasing) "Some long after you."  Some of the characters in the FST lived a LONG life after what the audience saw in the Original Timeline, so it's very possible Miles, Lapidus, Richard, Kate, Sawyer, and Claire (was there another on the Ajira flight I missed?) died happily of old age and simply passed into the FST after that point.

In the case of Hurley he probably guarded the island until he couldn't anymore, after which his consciousness passed into the FST (as he's seen with Libby in the church).  Ben may not find rest; he's haunted by his experiences back in the original timeline (which would include his guarding of the island).

Behold, the greatest taco in the history of the world! http://tacostothelimit.ytmnd.com/
[Previously known as Miilou Suede]
acornthief.tumblr.com
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2010, 04:58:19 PM »

Fucking terrible.

I watched the Ashes to Ashes finale on Friday, and it did what Lost tried to do and was successful on every level where Lost wasn't.

If you look at A2A, the series introduced a limited number of elements - most of them this series except for the time travel, brought them up repeatedly to remind the viewer of them, and pretty clearly (for the most part) explained what they were and why there were there.

This is structured, well thought out writing.

Lost threw the kitchen sink in, introduced elements that they had no idea what they meant or how they would be solved, left a bunch hanging and introduced elements in the last ten minutes that had nothing to do with the rest of the show that had been built up so far.

It was piss-poor, ill thought out writing.

I wasn't happy with the evangelical nature of either, but A2A at least seems to have had a semblance of a plan that actually was thought out before hand and made sense.

The only finale I can think of that was worse, was BSG's.

This is take from another forum I read...

"The finale didn't answer (or even hint at an answer) to a single question about the island, its origins, its function, the "light", Jacob, Jacob's mother, Jacob's magic powers, etc, etc. The only mystery it did resolve definitively was the "what the heck is this alternate reality" question - something that was only introduced this season.

In other words, instead of addressing the central mysteries that have driven the show since the beginning, the writers conjured up a brand new mystery at the beginning of this season, and then used the *series* finale to resolve only that new mystery. And the resolution to that mystery - that this group had such fun times on the island that they decided to share a slice of afterlife together - is utterly unconnected to any other mystery that has ever been raised in the show. How anyone could watch this and conclude the writers totally had this planned out from the start is beyond me - there's nothing in the finale that would support that interpretation.

Seriously, if you think about it, this "they had such fun together they decided to meet up again after they all died" device could be used as a feel-good tear-jerker ending to *any* ensemble show. It's really a totally meaningless cop-out ending."
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 05:03:26 PM by Lard » Logged

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2010, 05:32:22 PM »

It's funny, I agree with what Lard said and also with the post he quoted, but I also feel satisfied with the ending, though I was a bit underwhelmed at first.
Eventually the story on the island came to an end and it was good imo. The problem is that so much stuff that kept people watching it was unresolved.
I'll just quote myself from another forum last week:

What's the point of throwing all these questions at the viewer if you're never going to provide answers? Isn't that why we keep watching?
Even I can write a mistery show like that, I'll just throw in all kinds of random cool stuff to keep people interested and curious to find out what's going on and in the end when they ask me what happened I just say: I don't want to answer that, don't waste (more) time thinking about it.

After watching the finale I think the most important things were answered though. They could've completely cut the whole alternate reality and just go with the real story but it really helped making the finale a lot more powerful and emotional. The whole scene in the church is cheesy as hell (no pun intended) but it's a lot more powerful than just having Jack die and watch the plane fly away.
The more I think about it the more I think it worked.
That dialogue between Ben and Hugo at the end shows us that they probably spend a long time on the island and the other survivors probably lived long lifes as well.
In the end the alternate reality wasn't really necessary but it paid off because the final scenes were nicely done and a good way to say goodbye to those characters.
Yeah, I definitely think it worked.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2010, 06:17:05 PM »

This might be nothing, I'm just putting it out there because I don't really think the finale did any justice to the series whatsoever - but whatever happened to Jin and Suns child and Clare's baby?

From what I understand, all the people who met at church are now dead, whether from old age or the events on the Island. However, the children don't die at any time on screen, so I'm lead to believe they grew up and died. If that is the truth, why are we shown Claire holding Aaron inside the church.

Did he die when he was older but was reverted back into a new born when he died? That doesn't seem quite fair.

I may be way off the mark on this one, as there are a lot bigger fans of LOST than I am.

Just need a little clarity.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
DM Kyle E. Miller
Administrator

foriamthedm@yahoo.com foriamthedm foriamthedm@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2010, 07:32:18 PM »

This universe was created when they were still on the island, so everyone would appear there as they did on the island.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2010, 10:10:35 PM »

http://www.heavy.com/tv/tv-drama/2010/05/top-10-unanswered-questions-from-lost/

I thought of 8 of these.

nonoyes

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2010, 02:34:02 AM »

I can answer those.

10 Kate's Dark Horse
-The island has powers. You get a new life there. But it also knows your past life and at times it reminds you of it makes you think about it/get over it/repent for it etc....
It was also done for the flashback story part of that episode. And everyone faced something from their past on that island.
Or had visions,what to do next etc.... It wasn't the first of something like this happened.

9 Hurley Bird -Just for fun, mysterious thing, fun easter egg etc...
But if you wanted a answer this is it when Hurley went back to 1977 he taught a bird to say his name.Birds live a long time bird sees him in 2004. HURLEY hi.

8 Statue -Built by people Jacob brought there.And I say that because I think they would have shown it in the episode with kid Jacob to say hey it was here before but it didn't so I say its from the people he brought there. With a huge statue on the island the kids would be like hey mother whats up with that?Just like hey there is other people on this island.

7 Food drop. Dharma plane stuck in electromagnetic pocket drops food regularly its suck in a endless loop.

6 Dr Island. -Yes the island has powers. Its been explained before. Does it need to be explained in huge detail? NO!
Even when someone was hurt characters have said the island will heal the rest.etc...
First time I saw eps 4 and saw Locke paralyzed oh walks now. All I thought was ohh this island has the power to heal people. I didn't need an extra explanation I just accepted it.Why can't people accept that?

5 Sickness/Infection- Smoke Monsters evilness can influence people.Change them.

4 The Woman.This would be a problem to answer. There was a person before her. And another person before that person etc...They just past down the knowledge.

3 Special Walt. He has powers because he does. THE END.
Why does anything have special abilities powers in any story with something somewhat supernatural they never explain it either. They just do.... to make the story/character/world etc..more interesting

You can also blame the fact the kid grew up quicker than expected so they had to kill off his story.

2 Aaron.  Claire did raise him there for awhile. And he was baptized and then it was the end of it.
Not really important to the main plot.

1.Pregnancy Issues. -Jughead explosion/Drilling into the island caused it.
After Desmond used the fail safe the hatch exploded all the electronic magnetism problems was probably erased. A pregnant woman probably could have a child now but the story was headed and focused on other things.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 02:44:16 AM by nonoyes » Logged
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2010, 07:54:19 PM »

Those aren't answers.

"Not important to the plot"?

Then don't mention it in the first place.

That's just poor writing.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
nonoyes

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2010, 12:22:59 AM »

I feel it was already answered in the original episode it was brought up in.

The psychic said she had to raise him at first...

But he was just lying and then later on he told her to get on Oceanic 815 and he knew she had to go to that island though.
No other flight.After all he was then okay with baby being adopted by a so called good family in LA.
All the psychic was doing is getting Claire to the island.
Watch the episode again.

But some people don't see the things the way I do someone says something and they READ WAY INTO IT.
Some people still think the polar bears wasn't answered yet.
So....and its been answered several times in the show.

But people still think there is something to it.
Even though it was originally answered so thats why I think the writers were like damn people. Okay so lets make that baptized story. Now its done.

But people still don't get it.

Its just like Annie people think she was important. All it was is to show the good side of Ben and his past,reflections,etc.. And build depth to his character. Thats it.
But for some reason there is suppose to more to it.
Really?

And to the sickness besides the smoke monster. I say it also just electromagnetism as well it just screws up some people like the woman on the freighter just jumping off the ship for no reason. And Minkowski mind going through time like Desmond.
Those shots might of helped Desmond build up a tolerance to it living in that hatch for 3 years and taking the shots.
Then with the fail safe he basically got a overdose but didn't happen until season 4 and on the freighter when it finally kicked in.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 12:32:59 AM by nonoyes » Logged
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2010, 12:31:56 AM »

Those aren't answers.

"Not important to the plot"?

Then don't mention it in the first place.

That's just poor writing.

Illana was the firs tthing I thought of with this post.

nonoyes

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2010, 12:50:27 AM »

I felt the show answered everything basically.
Its just some stuff takes thought into it and they didn't hold your hand.

The only thing I'm dissatisfied with

Jacob's cabin there is still some major flaws with that.

Slightly Ben vs Widmore... although I really liked the end of it with Ben blowing him away on the island.

And the outrigger shootout the other side of it just should have been shown.

And how Jacob/Mib mother aka fake mother was able to kill all those people and destroy the well so easily.

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2010, 01:39:11 PM »

It's kind of funny reading this thread.  I've never watched an episode of the show (for no particular reason) and have always thought that it was about people trying to get off an island kind of like Survivor but without the reality TV show aspect of it.  Now just reading the last page people are mentioning super powers and monsters.  Big ol' wtf from me.

Anyways, I'm kind of curious if anyone noticed the excessive commercials that were played during the series finale?  Some sites are reporting that it had 107 commercials run during that time which clocked in at a minimum of 45 minutes of commercials.  Anyone notice this?

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2010, 08:54:49 PM »

It's kind of funny reading this thread.  I've never watched an episode of the show (for no particular reason) and have always thought that it was about people trying to get off an island kind of like Survivor but without the reality TV show aspect of it.  Now just reading the last page people are mentioning super powers and monsters.  Big ol' wtf from me.

Anyways, I'm kind of curious if anyone noticed the excessive commercials that were played during the series finale?  Some sites are reporting that it had 107 commercials run during that time which clocked in at a minimum of 45 minutes of commercials.  Anyone notice this?

They were charging $900,000 an Ad. So i heard.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2010, 04:45:47 AM »

The commercials were bullshit. If I didnt want to find out the answers to all of LOST's mysteries, I wouldn't have suffered through them.

Fuck.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: