Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 08:29:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330183 Posts in 13529 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Darksiders
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Darksiders  (Read 5666 times)
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2010, 12:23:27 PM »

Almost done with the game (2/3 through the Black Throne), and I have to say i'm pleasantly suprised - once I got over the shameless cribbing of game systems (Halo, Zelda, Portal, God of War, Shadow of the Colossus). Truthfully, about halfway in, around the time you're going after Greiver, I got a very strong Soul Reaver impression, which once upon a time was criticized for being too much of a Zelda clone. The combat starts out pretty one dimensional but really picks up after you gain more weapons and purchase more moves. The game world itself is pretty impressive, though I wish you had more open areas with which to explore. Some of the later puzzles are a pain in the ass also if you've never played Portal before. As an action RPG it borrows from the best, albeit somewhat shamelessly. Though as good as the game is, after how long its been in development I'd expect it to be polished as hell.

Also, for those worried about the screen tearing on the 360, don't be - install it to the HDD and alot of those annoyances vanish. From messing around with both versions I've found that the PS3 version has less screen tearing compared to an uninstalled 360 version, more prevalent aliasing and somewhat washed out colors. The 360 version still has jaggies but has a much more robust color palette (no idea why though.) Honestly your performance regardless of the console is comperable. The game really could have used a little more time to cook, but I wont complain.
Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2010, 02:05:54 PM »

I certainly hope these Block Pushing Puzzles are intuitive and fun, because the idea of playing a divine entity of God's wrath who pushes blocks around like Lara Croft is not piquing my interest.

Well, the game advertises how he's been stripped of his power. It's only make sense that once rendered impotent he's forced into crate duty.
Following that, an old dude could retire from his job and live out his life doing nothing on a beach. That makes sense, right? But who would want to play a game about that.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2010, 04:58:37 PM »

Following that, an old dude could retire from his job and live out his life doing nothing on a beach. That makes sense, right? But who would want to play a game about that.

Harvest Moon made a entertaining game out of farming. It is not impossible to do the same with an old man living on a beach.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2010, 05:54:21 PM »

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3177530

If it's so easy to fix why wasn't it fixed before the game hit the stores?

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2010, 06:09:28 PM »

If it's so easy to fix why wasn't it fixed before the game hit the stores?

Deadlines most likely, it's probably easier to sell the game now rather than any later.
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2010, 08:38:57 PM »

Just finished the game - sequel is definately incoming. Clocks in about 20 hours with most of the exploration, items and Abyss Armor completed (which looks completely bad ass I gotta say). You might have a time finding it all, so here's a really great video guide...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX4kBWHJjTI

Expect to play for a good 40 hours if you plan of leveling up all the weapons and purchasing all the upgrades. Really had a blast playing it.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2010, 02:09:31 AM »

Been interested in this game for a bit, I really like the aesthetic and the solid reviews and word of mouth has me sold.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2010, 02:22:03 PM »

If you got a code with your game and saved it you can go here http://community.darksidersvideogame.com/blog-post/mystery-code-revealed and apply it to get a free copy of Red Faction Guerrilla for either the PS3 or 360 and a disc that has various bonus Darksiders content like art, videos etc.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: