Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2014, 09:15:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334415 Posts in 13701 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Xenosaga Episode II - Why does everyone hate it so much?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Xenosaga Episode II - Why does everyone hate it so much?  (Read 5927 times)
Saviour

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2010, 08:24:58 PM »

This thread is starting to show why I think highly of Episode II. When there are many people complaining about the difficulty, I sit back and smile how easy it was for me. This game is not for the 'attack'button mashers.

Finished RPG Count: 90
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2010, 10:02:34 PM »

This thread is starting to show why I think highly of Episode II. When there are many people complaining about the difficulty, I sit back and smile how easy it was for me.

If the only issue with the game was the difficulty, it'd be a whole lot better. :P

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2010, 04:39:47 AM »

The reason why I hate this game so much is because of the bandwagon mentality. I haven't even touched this game once and I'm still willing to condemn it for all the reasons everyone else stated. I might be able to find a few merits with the game, but that wouldn't be going along with everyone else now would it.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2010, 11:37:37 AM »

I think most people disliked it at the time, with expectations from the previous game.

There's a lot of people who really dig the anime-styled graphics of the first game, and losing that changed the atmosphere and ambiance of the game––as a new art director was either obvious, or one was missing entirely. This is not to dig on the game too much, as I myself am an advocate of gameplay>graphics.

But graphics DO affect something; the subconscious.

I tried seriously to play this game, got a few hours in, and could no longer continue. I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but that was the problem––there was nothing grasping me to continue playing. I was forcing myself to, waiting for it to "get good." I have a lot of patience, and in fact, Xenosaga III stands as one of my personal favorites in any field regardless.

However, the second installment, while fulfilling huge desires of story-please-make-sense-already syndrome, fell far too short in nearly every other aspect. It felt to me like the second disc of Xenogears. Rushed in a "we need to install a story foundation here here and here," IE: telling Jr. and MOMO's plot correlations, before getting to the finalé of awesomeness that is episode 3.

So, while I don't outright hate this game, it stands as The Empire Strikes Back to me. The needed foundation, like broccoli to a 7 year old, is integral and very much needed, though, not necessarily enjoyed by all.
Saviour

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2010, 02:01:24 PM »

This thread is starting to show why I think highly of Episode II. When there are many people complaining about the difficulty, I sit back and smile how easy it was for me.

If the only issue with the game was the difficulty, it'd be a whole lot better. :P

No, I admit there are issues with the game. For me, it was the story. Also didn't like the in-game graphic engine cutscenes with blocky hands and poor lip sync.  The overall experience was still satisfying though.

Finished RPG Count: 90
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2010, 07:15:24 PM »

theres a difference between true difficulty and being hampered by poor game design.  *points at persona 3's the answer*

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2010, 09:44:46 PM »

theres a difference between true difficulty and being hampered by poor game design.  *points at persona 3's the answer*

I'm assuming you're throwing that in as another example as poor game design because most of the difficulty from that is through poor design choices.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2010, 12:31:20 PM »

I never could finish the answer, I just youtubed the cutscenes. The answer was like they took the games bad AI and designed the bosses around exploiting it purely to troll the player.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: