Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 10:01:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330162 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  FFXIII OST Sold Out
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: FFXIII OST Sold Out  (Read 5968 times)
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2010, 07:28:44 PM »

Anyway, the marketing strategy for the US seems completely wrong to me and the song is part of the problem imo

Not really.  The internet is full of people who say things they don't really mean.  Everyone and their brother on the internet was going to boycott Modern Warfare 2, but we all know how that turned out.  Doesn't end there either.

There's millions of Final Fantasy fans in the west, and they all know FFXIII is coming out next month.  The point of marketing is to attract customers that aren't already waiting for release day, hence why they're releasing commercials that don't cater to your flavor; it's not meant to.  It's very much like the usage of Marilyn Manson's "This Is The New Shit" in Dragon Age trailers that were hyping up the game pre-release.  RPG fans were pitching a hissy fit like it was a serious problem, but the point was to sell the product to people who are not Bioware fans standing in line for a copy.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2010, 04:55:11 AM »

Yeah but I don't see the NBA watching crowd being attracted to that ad.  What I'm saying is that they are going for the sports fans demographic with a ridiculously cheesy commercial. Doesn't feel right. Whatever though, I couldn't care less if it works or not.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2010, 10:28:06 AM »

You'd be surprised how many closet nerds there are out there.
Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2010, 10:54:34 AM »

I'm also confused about the Leona Lewis hate. If you're familiar with the theme song from the Japanese version (Sayuri Sugawara, review of theme song single here), you'd understand that it's not like we're losing something by having S-E replace theme songs. Seriously, get over it.

I've seen people who hate Small Two of Pieces in English, despite not knowing Japanese themselves, of course! Me, though? I love this kind of music. When I beat SotN and heard "I Am the Wind" I thought it was a wonderful song. Some cynical pragmatist will always come along and say "it didn't belong in castlevania" to which I have to ask: did you fucking direct this game? Who are you to say what does and doesn't belong.

And now look at the once-beautiful song replaced by boring-as-fuck, atypical guitar in future remakes/releases. Fucking lame.

For reference, I also thought that FFX-2 vocal song was great. I was jamming to it on my iPod yesterday, even.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2010, 11:11:57 AM »

I hate Small Two of Pieces because it is a terrible song.  It's like a Celine Dion song, except it's written for nerds and is only "deep" because they want it to be.  Basically it is the Titanic song "My Heart Will Go On" for RPG dorks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHyJTpDFgc8

versus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7D0U_RhH-I

Protip: both songs are sappy

Also, I don't like the Japanese or English theme songs for Final Fantasy XIII.  The only Final Fantasy theme songs I like are Otherworld from X, and Distant Worlds from XI.  The rest are all pretty bleh, especially Eyes on Me.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2010, 01:24:15 PM »

Well, I like both songs and I don't like the leona lewis song, huge difference in quality for me, both in the voices and song writing. I don't think any of them should be used in the respective game's commercial though, I liked hearing them when playing the games but they just give a wrong impression to people who are oblivious to what the game is about.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Ithunn

Hmph.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2010, 03:17:11 PM »

Anyway, to steer away from useless Leona Lewis hate who's going to make her money regardless of what people say . . . . .

I'm not used to Hamauzu and a live orchestra. Not a bad thing. It's a good OST, granted that I don't know how the music is effective in-game. I love his stuff because it's great stand-alone, but I see the need for more songs in this OST to need context because he repeats a thematic sequence through a lot of the songs. I received my OST a week or so ago, and haven't completely listened to all of it. I finally got to Disc 4 yesterday, and I feel like it's more reflective of his older works. March of the Dreadnought on Disc 2 (I believe?) is instant-win. Reminds me a little bit of. . .  mmm. . .Naturvolk? At least with the meter though MoD is a bit faster.

The box is uselessly large. I have absolutely no where to put it besides in front of all my games. I really wish they would have used a smaller box. I do. Otherwise I don't have too many qualms. I'd expect not being able to understand the dialog in the script cd because it's in Japanese and I only know "Watashi...." from Utena (haha). I'll never touch the discs again. I SOMEHOW (aka someone else) lost disc 1 from my Final Fantasy 12 LE OST, but I don't give a shit anymore because the OST effin' sucks and I'll just put a burned disc in it's place.

Mmm, now that I think about it, I would have preferred to just buy the regular OST. Nothing grand about this LE except for the fact that it says "LE."
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2010, 05:43:32 PM »

So yeah, finally decided to just go ahead and pre-order the FFXIII OST off of Square Enix's website rather than wait for iTunes.  $37 for five CDs of music is pretty nice, and that includes shipping and sales tax.  Much cheaper than the import route.

Just something to consider.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2010, 05:52:47 PM »

So yeah, finally decided to just go ahead and pre-order the FFXIII OST off of Square Enix's website rather than wait for iTunes.  $37 for five CDs of music is pretty nice, and that includes shipping and sales tax.  Much cheaper than the import route.

Just something to consider.

That's four CDs sweety. I don't think you'll be getting a drama disc. :)

Also, Joanne Hogg of the band Iona did the English vocals for Xenogears; hate on it if you must, but I think she has one of the best voices in the world. You tell me which is more cheesy: "Small of Two Pieces" or intentionally Celtic/Christian lyrics in Iona songs like "Lindisfarne" or "Open Sky."

Answer: it's equally cheesy and I love ALL of it.

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2010, 06:07:33 PM »

I don't know why I typed five.  Weird.

Anyway, cheesy music doesn't bug me, when it's intended to be cheesy.  For example, Sonic R's music is exceptionally cheesy, but it's not trying to be serious.  Small Two of Pieces on the other hand, isn't supposed to be cheesy.  Maybe it's my lack of attachment to the game since I've never played Xenogears, but I have no appreciation for the song, at all.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2010, 06:21:53 PM »

Oh shut up, it's a great song and she has an amazing voice. I just saw on kotaku that the american version is available for pre-order on the official site.

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2010, 06:56:46 PM »

Here guys, I shall write an RPG song for my game called Gearxenos.

RUN THROUGH THE WINDS OF PASSION
WITH A SWORD AND SHIELD IN YOUR ROOM
READY TO DO BATTLE LIKE IT'S IN FASHION
SO YOU CAN GET SOME VIDEOGAME POON

BROKEN WINDOW
A TRILLION SHARDS OF SHARP POINTS
THE SOUND ECHOES AND FADES AWAY
BUT YOU AND I CAN FIND A NEW ONE

It's a rough draft but I think it holds promise.  Throw it against some Celine Dion style background music and have Joanne Hogg sing it, and we've got a hit bitches.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2010, 09:17:42 PM »

Oh shut up, it's a great song and she has an amazing voice. I just saw on kotaku that the american version is available for pre-order on the official site.

I was going to mention this - it's $30.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Ithunn

Hmph.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2010, 01:13:39 PM »

I hope you love the OST Parn. I really do. Don't smash it.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2010, 02:27:20 PM »

Wouldn't be buying it unless I know I'd like it.  I'm confident I'll like everything save the two generic vocal pop songs.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: