Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2014, 12:26:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338111 Posts in 13842 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  is castlevania symphony of the night a RPG?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: is castlevania symphony of the night a RPG?  (Read 11656 times)
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2010, 11:37:21 PM »

He's genuinely interested in second opinions though, because I could be wrong about something. He's kinda dedicated to the whole research thing, and not just taking someone's opinion as law.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2010, 11:43:12 PM »

then he might want to do actual research rather than waiting for more opinions to arrive
lance_goodthrust

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2010, 12:02:09 AM »

then he might want to do actual research rather than waiting for more opinions to arrive

Well.....  Wikipedia says the game is 2D action-adventure game.  and on gamespot's and ebgames's websites, Most if not all castlevania games,  are listed in either action or fighting category.  not to mention that if you play as Belmont, All the RPG elements is gone.  before mark told me.  the term "castlevania" and the term "role playing games"  never connected.

so in one ear, Mark is telling me it's a RPG games, while steve screams in the other ear telling me otherwise.

So to prevent further arguments.  I'm doing a little research. (gathering data from the masses is a part of research).

and Parn,  if you don't like the post, you can just ignore it.  you really don't NEED to troll it.  nice to know you are making new member feel at home.

I'm going to check out Crystalis now.

thanks for the info.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 12:04:46 AM by lance_goodthrust » Logged
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2010, 12:22:57 AM »

While I agree that SoN is on the RPG side of the RPG line, I consider Action-Adventure to simply be a better fit than just RPG (and Action-Adventure-RPG to be better still).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2010, 12:25:40 AM »

and Parn,  if you don't like the post, you can just ignore it.  you really don't NEED to troll it.  nice to know you are making new member feel at home.

netimeqt
Hidoshi

Built This House

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2010, 01:01:42 AM »

Well.....  Wikipedia says the game is 2D action-adventure game.  and on gamespot's and ebgames's websites, Most if not all castlevania games,  are listed in either action or fighting category.  not to mention that if you play as Belmont, All the RPG elements is gone.  before mark told me.  the term "castlevania" and the term "role playing games"  never connected.

so in one ear, Mark is telling me it's a RPG games, while steve screams in the other ear telling me otherwise.

So to prevent further arguments.  I'm doing a little research. (gathering data from the masses is a part of research).

I'm going to check out Crystalis now.

thanks for the info.

Wikipedia does say it's an Action RPG under the stats sidebar. Also, both this site and RPGamer list it as an action-RPG. Most gamers, if not all accept it as one, and every review I've ever read on it either calls it that directly, or comments heavily on its status as an action-RPG.

But dude, regardless of all sources, it IS an RPG. It has a statistics system, equipment, a progressing storyline, cutscenes, experience points, levels, and everything that makes an RPG an RPG. The only slight difference is that its battle system is real time and side-scrolling, which plenty of RPGs have anyway.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2010, 01:17:43 AM »

a progressing storyline, cutscenes

These are the worst reasons to justify something as an RPG.
Hidoshi

Built This House

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2010, 01:26:02 AM »

Show me an RPG that doesn't have these. :P There are many, many genres which do use said things, but they're integral to RPGs overall.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2010, 01:32:12 AM »

Show me an RPG that doesn't have these. :P

Double Dungeon has only the barest of stories, but more importantly this can be flipped: Just how many games DON'T have any story whatsoever? Unless it's in a genre that typically doesn't even try or doesn't need to like sports and puzzle titles it'll be there, you may as well say a game's an RPG because you control a character.
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2010, 01:40:08 AM »

Symphony of the Night can easily get away with being categorised as both an RPG and an Adventure game. It plays very much like the Metroid games (which explains the common comparison with Super Metroid) which I would call Adventure titles. Also, there's experience, stats, and equipment. Therefore, I can easily call it an RPG Adventure, along with all the other Castlevania games that play like this one.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Hidoshi

Built This House

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2010, 01:42:02 AM »

Double Dungeon has only the barest of stories, but more importantly this can be flipped: Just how many games DON'T have any story whatsoever? Unless it's in a genre that typically doesn't even try or doesn't need to like sports and puzzle titles it'll be there, you may as well say a game's an RPG because you control a character.

You very well know that's not the damned point of what I said. :P
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2010, 01:47:44 AM »

can you give me 5 games that falls under the same category of action-rpg as SotN?

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

lance_goodthrust

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2010, 01:53:05 AM »

So, is god of war an action -RPG as well then?
Hidoshi

Built This House

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2010, 01:55:41 AM »

Nope. God of War is an action-adventure game. It does HAVE RPG elements such as the skill tree, but it definitely doesn't feel like an RPG, nor does it incorporate enough elements from RPGs to qualify as one.

Also, my editorial here may be of help: http://rpgfan.com/news/2009/450.html
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 01:57:46 AM by Hidoshi » Logged
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2010, 01:59:10 AM »

You very well know that's not the damned point of what I said. :P

No, I want to call out and show just how much of a misguided notion it is to use something as common as story as a reason something can be branded an RPG, ESPECIALLY in a series like Castlevania where story is one of the last reasons to play them. The rest I don't care to argue about because it's more or less valid reasoning.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: