Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 03:22:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334755 Posts in 13709 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  is castlevania symphony of the night a RPG?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: is castlevania symphony of the night a RPG?  (Read 10425 times)
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2010, 06:36:02 PM »

Oh hey, I talked about all this in my most recent editorial!

Oh hey, so did Yahtzee!

Your article was pretty good but I'm not really prone to go with whatever Yahtzee's saying here because, after having played a few of his games, he does a lot of the same things he complains about other people doing in their games.

So you're saying he's a hypocrite, like the rest of the internet.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2010, 06:44:06 PM »

Seem Ramza's point about grandfathering in adventure games makes sense. It's *likely* (but not guaranteed) that someone who likes RPGs is going to enjoy point and click adventure games.

Castlevania is not necessarily going to appeal to someone who likes Disgaea or Persona 3.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2010, 06:59:23 PM »

personally i like the old style of castlevanias like castlevania 1,3,and bloodlines.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2010, 07:58:14 PM »

RPG or not, Symphony of the Night is an awesome game.  I really don't see the point of throwing labels on it or arguing about it.

hell, I remember when Zelda was the subject of the great adventure/role playing game debate.

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2010, 09:49:10 PM »

The original point is though, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is an action-RPG. It has all the right elements, particularly the equipment and levelling structure which makes it so different from what came before it in the franchise.

Yes, I'll give you that.  but on the same note. because C-SotN is an "action-RPG".  God of war and all the rip off of GoW games also can be labeled the same.  and that's a long ass list of games. They are very similar.

And every post and article i read about this (thanks for the links)  says the same thing.  the classification of games in the industry is fucked up, and no one give a shit about it.

slow down rockstar. I'll give you that God of War and Devil May Cry are part of the "slippery slope" of losing any definition of what an RPG is. But SotN has about 20 times the amount of "RPG-centric" things than God of War. God of War has: kill enemies, gain magic orbs (let's just call it exp), and then put exp into one of 5 or 6 categories to level up certain skills.

What does SotN have that God of War does not have?

1. swappable equipment (many weapon types, shields, helm, armor, boots, etc)
2. inventory (consumable items: TONS of them)
3. backtracking (GoW is a "level by level" stage-based linear experience. You can't go back to anywhere, ever)
4. Visible, knowable statistics (STR DEF and the like)
5. Numbers on-screen when you hit enemies or when they hit you (this may seem neglible, but for many people, this is key!)
6. Leveling the ENTIRE playable character. Not just assigning points to leveling up my weapons or my thunder spell, but ME going up a level.
7. Status effects, and the ability to cure them (again, with consumable items)

I thought I stopped caring about this debate. But look, there's definitely a degree of RPG-ness that SotN *clearly* has which many other games don't. There are plenty of games that are on the borderline of RPGFan's coverage. In my opinion, SotN isn't one of them.

Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2010, 10:05:19 PM »

If Zelda's classified as an RPG, then the Metroidvanias are clearly RPGs.  Hell, the only reason I like the Metroidvanias so much is precisely because of those RPG elements.  The more traditional platformer Castlevanias just don't hold as much appeal to me.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2010, 10:22:50 PM »

The more traditional platformer Castlevanias just don't hold as much appeal to me.

Could the fact that Alucard moves as smooth as silk and Simon Belmont moves as smooth as silk glued to a brick have anything to do with this as well???

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2010, 01:44:55 AM »

hi there, quick question.

is castlevania symphony of the night consider a RPG game?

If so, why?

I consider it Symphony of the Night. I see no reason to label it otherwise. Doing so tends to obfuscate the product itself, as demonstrated in this topic. Labeling things 10,000 different ways eventually covers up what you're talking about.

Genres are quick identifiers of "oh it's kind of like that." I can't recall a time a genre was ever specifically defined. If that's the case, no RPGs today aren't "real RPGs" by any longshot of the definition.

So shut the fuck up and play games and stop worrying about the labels on them. You know the game itself as its namesake, why not enjoy it for that aspect.

Side thought: The Guardian Legend on the NES was an Action/Adventure/BulletHell/Shump/Puzzle game. Or we can just call it guardian legend. See how much easier that is golly geepers.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2010, 04:34:32 AM »

If Zelda's classified as an RPG, then the Metroidvanias are clearly RPGs.  Hell, the only reason I like the Metroidvanias so much is precisely because of those RPG elements.  The more traditional platformer Castlevanias just don't hold as much appeal to me.

You know what else is an RPG? Metroid. After all its a game where you play the role of Samus as she commits genocide for profit, and with a side order of revenge no less (or something to that effect). You end up collecting missiles, and leveling up your health with energy tanks, and equipping new beams and suits, and you even develop skills like bomb-jumping, wall-kicking, shinespallin', sequence-breaking, and many more...

Another game that's also an RPG is Solitaire. A game where you play the role of someone who has nothing better to do than to play Solitaire (including trolling in this ridiculous thread/flamewar). Now if you'll excuse me I've got to go play some Solitaire as its a far more interesting use of my time than discussing this subject seriously.

@Guardian Legend: Isn't it of the same genre as Knights in the Nightmare?

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2010, 09:41:42 AM »

is castlevania symphony of the night consider a RPG game?

Wait what the fuck is an RPG game? Is that like RPG Maker or something?

o/` I do not dream o/`

Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2010, 09:56:55 AM »

@Guardian Legend: Isn't it of the same genre as Knights in the Nightmare?

They're both video games. The similarities end there pretty much.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2010, 12:33:13 AM »

Preempting this thread into something interesting.

http://tinysubversions.com/2010/02/shigeru-miyamoto-on-rpg-design/

I agree with Miyamoto's point. But one of the comments...

RPGs are disappearing as a popular genre because their designs and mechanics are being subsumed by better playing games. Adventure games met largely the same fate. Both have exceptions and niche markets of course.

I'm also inclined to agree with this, sort of. I DON'T think this is actually happening yet, but I see it happening. The opposite, though, I see as very true--RPGs incorporating elements from other genres that just inherently... play better.

In other words, no, I DON'T think that traditional RPGs really play all that well, and I think you end up with some decidedly non-traditional designs because of it.

Or maybe I don't agree at all. Interesting food for thought, in any case.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: