Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 02:38:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334802 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Top Ten Final Fantasy Favorite Order?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Top Ten Final Fantasy Favorite Order?  (Read 4975 times)
Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« on: February 16, 2010, 02:00:25 AM »

Yeah, I actually made this topic. Again. It's not like we do anything else here anyway.

Now that there's far more than ten Final Fantasy titles in the "main" line, it now comes into play less of "how do you order them" and "which ones don't make it to your top 10?"

Personally, I can't comment too much since I play every other FF related title. I've only completed a few actually, being 4, 7, and 9. Yeah, no shit. Those are the only actual FFs I have completed. They've never really been my thing, though I have encyclopedic knowledge of them games themselves.

4 is still my favorite though. I love the story of a demon blood-drinking angst-riddled moon orphan becoming a galaxy savior of spacetime. Pretty epic, though for FF, pretty standard fare by endgame.
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 02:11:23 AM »

My opinion changes occasionally, but here's what I think at this current time:

10. Final Fantasy I
9. Final Fantasy V
8. Final Fantasy Tactics
7. Final Fantasy VIII
6. Final Fantasy XII
5. Final Fantasy IV
4. Final Fantasy X
3. Final Fantasy VI
2. Final Fantasy IX
1. Final Fantasy VII

It may well change once I finish FFXIII...

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 04:10:26 AM »

VI
V
IX
III
IV
II
XII
I
VIII
VII

From top to bottom, main series only, no items, only Fox, final destination!

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 07:12:28 AM »

Anyone has a ranking that includes FFXIII?

Mine are:
X
IX
VII
VI (I played it late, it would be on my topmost if I played it when I was younger)
VIII
V
II
I
X-2
XII

I haven't really played III and IV though.

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Jade

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 08:19:11 AM »

FFIX
FFXII
FFVII
FFX
FFVIII
FFIV
FFVI
FFX-2
FFIII (DS)

Never played I,II, V and of course XI
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 08:19:42 AM »

At first I thought this'd be tough, but my picks are falling into place.  And for robustness I'll put reasonings behind my choices.  FF11 doesn't count since I didn't play it and don't do online RPGs these days.  EDIT: I added numbers so that there's clarity that I counted down from 10 to 1. 

And please, if we're going to do lists put reasons why you placed games where you did so the conversation's a bit more meaty.

10) FF1- I respect its place in gaming history, but it's not a game I can play with much fervor these days

9) FF3- I quite like the job system, but again, there are plenty of more appealing FF games.  

8) FF5- I think the soundtrack to this game is highly underrated.  The battle theme is possibly my favorite FF battle theme.  Job system is awesome.

7) FF12- Basch and Rabanastre.  Okay, and I like how the Gambit system let me deeply customize how character AI acted, as opposed to Star Ocean or Tales where I had to choose from preset options and often had to babysit incompetent characters.  I didn't have to babysit in FF12.  Zodiac system seems superior to the License Board.

6) FF6- I didn't lurve this one as much as most RPG fans did, but the game is deep, atmospheric, and except for the main battle theme, has an exceptional soundtrack.  All the overland themes are quite stirring.  And Shadow is easily the coolest ninja in the FF universe.

5) FF10- Sure the progression was insanely linear, but I liked the story and characters.  The Laughing Scene thread here in console RPGs shows why I think that scene and the quieter moments in the game were so effective.  Unlike FF8's love story, which I though was clumsy, I liked FF10's love story and the alone scenes with Tidus and Yuna were some of the best.  Again, I liked the laughing scene and the scene in the nighttime forest lake.  

4) FF4- The game is just 100% pure fun.  The story was surprisingly involved and even nowadays, isn't too bad.  It's got that Saturday Morning Cartoon quality to it still.  

3) FF8- This is the only FF game I actualy played to completion more than once.  I played it 3 times.  Although I felt that the plot had more holes than Swiss Cheese and I couldn't stand that simpering weenie chick Rinoa (I hated her almost as much as General Mortars and fanfic writer Mooncalf), I thought the case study for Squall was very well done.  We either love or hate Squall because he *is* a believable character.  I was a LOT like him back when I was 15.  A lot of us probably were, and that's a side of ourselves we don't want to be reminded of.  Okay, and the sidequest to get Zell and the library girl to hook up was fun.  

2) FF9- Later Final Fantasy games are often called out by fans for being pretentious.  The word pretentious was tossed out all the time to describe FF7 and 8.  FF9 was perhaps the least pretentious modern-era FF game and it was fantastic.  The plot didn't collapse upon itself, the ending made sense, there was no confusing arbitrary character growth system, and the game was just 100% pure fun.  The plot and characters were fantastic too; Zidane was a protagonist I wanted to party with.  Oh, and world design.  How could you not like places like the Black Mage Village, Lindblum, or Daguerro Library?  

1) FF7- In a more objective analysis, FF9 would be the better game in my eyes.  I had a massive love-hate-love-hate relationship with FF7.  Watching a friend play it made me want to get into RPGs.  When I tried playing it myself, I had trouble with it.  But after cutting my teeth on 16-bit Genesis RPGs, I became more comfortable with the genre.  It was hard for me to formulate a firm opinion on the game also because of such a divided fanbase.  But at the end of the day, this game not only changed the face of Final Fantasy, but the face of RPGs in gaming culture as a whole.  For its place in history, for never leaving the forefront of my mind, and for always being a lightning rod for discussion, FF7 is my #1 FF.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 10:15:38 AM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 09:04:13 AM »

FF 9
FF 10
FF 8
FF 7
FF 12
FF 3
FF 5
FF 2
FF 6
FF 1

I will beat you with my evil strategy of my evil 1.8 million IQ

add me to psn! the more the merrier!
Saviour

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 02:25:31 PM »

8, 7, 9, 10, 6, 4, 12, then 3.  I never played the first two and haven't sinked enough time into FFV to have an opinion on it other than it didn't hold my attention. It's gonna be interesting where FFXIII will end up. I know lots of people are bitching about it, but from what I've read, it'll probably be in my top half at the least.

Finished RPG Count: 90
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 02:46:11 PM »

I always include Tactics in my list of favorite FF games, but I'll leave it out for the sake of just using main installments.

1. FFX
2. FFVII
3. FFIX
4. FFVIII
5. FFIV
6. FFXII
7. FFVI
8. FFV
9. FFIII
10. FFI

I don't have time to give reasonings right now, but if someone wants one let me know.

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 02:48:19 PM »

Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy XII
Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy I

Here's hoping that XIII will knock off at least one of my top 4, that hasn't happened in a decade.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Akito

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 03:57:45 PM »

VIII - I'm sensitive
VI - best FF music
VII - classic
X-X-2 - I actually suffered through to get that closure.
XI - mnk ftw!
IV - Great characters
IX - Big heads
XII - Interesting gambit system
V - Class system awesome
I - Blk belt go go!

Hopefully I'll enjoy XIII, but there's always XIV!!!!
Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 05:37:57 PM »

I'll just give an explanation for my top two:
1. VIII - Dincrest's comments on Squall are points I think of bringing up when I say that VIII is my favorite, in addition to it having my favorite Uematsu soundtrack and the Junction system.
2. IX - For me, the spotlight in IX were the story and characters. I felt the music was weaker than VIII's but still good nonetheless. The game itself was just a blast to play.
3. VII
4. X
5. VI
6. XII
7. IV

Those are the only mainline Final Fantasies that I've beaten (or in 4's case close to beaten). I played a bit of the Playstation version of I and II but couldn't really bring myself to finish them. The DS version of III hasn't grabbed my attention either. V I also have yet to finish, though my desire to do so isn't that great. I didn't count XI because it's an MMO despite the fact that I did put a lot of time into it and found it to be rather enjoyable.
Dizzy

死ぬがよい

awe.of.she.1@gmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 06:47:49 PM »

FF6
FF4
FF8
FF7
FF9
FF10
FF12
FF5
FF1

I haven't played 2 or 3, so I can't add them in anywhere. I was going to import 13, but I didn't want to deal with shipping or customs taxes (That and because I import so many games already), so I figured I'd just wait for the domestic release.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 06:58:46 PM »

There's only three mainline FF games I really liked (and of the spinoffs, I uh... only played FFTA, FFT, and FF:CC. FFTA's alright, CC I don't remember, and I never got far enough in T to judge it).

FFIX's my favorite, far and away. And as much as I'm a GRAPHICS ONLY, NO STORY, GRR... I think that FFIX was really very well written and had some really wonderful characters. The battle system's more or less regular ATB, but it works and everything's reasonably balanced. The game's not really HARD, but it's not really exceedingly easy either. All in all probably the most consistent FF game.

FFX... going by just gameplay, FFX would be my favorite. Fucking love the battle system. Fucking love the customization. Sphere grid... sphere grid's alright, but whatever. and I like the story, too. The problem is the writing sort of... well... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. You know.

FFVII's writing is sort of lacking but I take the kind of plot analysis that one toastyfrog article took. FFVII.. I dunno, it had a lot of personality. And yeah, it was unbalanced, but unbalanced in a way that really let you play around with it and do fun, insane glorious bastard manoeuvrings (in the dark).

Sorry I can't provide a top ten. If I did it'd be like...

1. FFIX
2. FFX
3. FFVII
9. FFV
10. The rest.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2010, 07:02:16 PM »

Final Fantasy X is at the top.  Final Fantasy IX is at the bottom.  The others shift around too often to bother with trying to place. :P

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: