Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 03:14:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341071 Posts in 13940 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Top Ten Final Fantasy Favorite Order?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Top Ten Final Fantasy Favorite Order?  (Read 5016 times)
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2010, 07:07:37 PM »

1 - FF6 -  I enjoyed it quite a bit.  Pretty cool that a villian actually SUCEEDED in destroying the world
2(T) - FF12
2(T) - FF7
4 - FF5 - Loved the job system
5 - FF9
6 - FF4
7 - FF10
8 - FF3
9 - FF8
10 - FF1

*T designates a tie

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Federax

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2010, 09:58:45 PM »

1-  VI
2-  IV
3-  X
4-  VII
5-  IX
6-  V
7-  II
8-  I
9-  VIII

These are the ones I've played, I planned on playing III for the DS pretty soon.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2010, 10:25:28 PM »

I'll do all twelve! (no tactics, X-2, crisis core, any offshoot stuff)

12) Final Fantasy II -- I'm sorry, but ANYONE who doesn't rank this as the worst Final Fantasy either hasn't played it or is simply daft. I intend to eventually write an editorial entitled "Leave Final Fantasy II alone!", wherein I beg Square Enix to stop remaking/porting this game. It always comes alongside FFI, and it's just getting to be ridiculous. No amount of remaking will ever salvage this trainwreck of a game. It was a grand experiment at the time. It uses the SaGa leveling system of skill-up based on what happens in battle. However, the math behind it all is sorely broken. The guest characters suck. The unnecessary vehicles sucked. Just... blah. I'm glad they tried to start moving in the direction of "substantive plot and narrative" with this one after the first, but I think they moved in the wrong direction here, and then got it right with IV.

11) Final Fantasy -- Yes, it's the original. It's ranked this low. It's a fine game, and it deserves loads of recognition for starting the series and for making the third-person perspective battle system awesome (take that DQ!). It's also my first traditional turn-based RPG and will hold a special place in my heart. However, at the end of the day, there's not much to this game, and every one after it (save II) is better.

10) Final Fantasy III -- I'm wrapping up the NES original and the DS remake here. They are two fairly different games. The NES original didn't have any character development (seriously, the four dudes weren't even characters: they were the Onion Kids!). It also made the last two classes (ninja and sage) super-powerful and utterly broken. The DS version changed the plot significantly by making the four characters have personalities (and gender!), and also by balancing the class system and adding a bunch of stuff. All in all, this game created the flexible job/ability system, which paved the way for V (and eventually, Tactics). I also like this game's setting: starting on a floating island and then discovering how small your "world" is compared to the rest. Most games put their floating islands in the middle or somewhere near the end.

9) Final Fantasy V -- Awesome job/ability system with SNES graphics. That's about it. The plot isn't too memorable (easily the weakest of the three SNES games). But yeah... job/ability system. That's all there is to it. The GBA remake with the added jobs was enjoyable too. This game would rank higher if it had a superior plot.

8) Final Fantasy XII -- This game started so great, and the middle was great too. But man, the ending... ugh! What a godawful, stupid, anticlimactic waste of an ending. I'd rank this game so much higher if it weren't for the ending. And Basch. They'd need to drop Basch, replace him with someone who's actually cool, and then make the ending awesome. Then I'd be happier. Also, Fran is the best thing ever and her Icelandic accent makes me drool.

7) Final Fantasy IV -- The DS remake gave me a serious appreciation for a title I had long ranked way too low. Many people would argue I still have it ranked too low. And that's fine, because I understand why someone would put this at the top. The plot, particularly for its time (about 20 years ago), is FANTASTIC. The characters are all memorable. Five people in battle makes a huge difference (*real* support characters? You don't say!). And the music...man the music is so good. What a great game this was. The only version I've never sunk my teeth into was the GBA remake. I'd be interested to play it, just to recruit all the characters @ endgame.

6) Final Fantasy XI -- The only MMORPG I've spent more than 10 hours on. And um...I've spent like 3000 hours on this game. So it deserves a spot AT LEAST in the middle, wouldn't you say? For all its problems inherent in an MMO, and for all the bitching people (including myself) have done about its development, I still love this game. I play a career White Mage, and almost have Summoner to 75 as well. I've cleared every expansion and storyline possible to date, and I love the good, linear plots worked into this game. The endgame events are also fun too. I've probably done over 100 Limbus, 50+ Dynamis, 50+ Salvage ... I've really enjoyed the endgame dungeon content. Very cool stuff.

5) Final Fantasy VII -- I recently played through this on PSN. The ranking you see on this thread I've had set in stone for about a year now, and after playing this game, VII didn't move up or down. It stayed exactly where it is. I hadn't played the game in 12 years, and playing it again confirmed my feelings about it. The materia system is genius, and the 3D graphics + FMVs were (at the time) incredible achievements. Story-wise, this isn't the greatest game. It could stand to force Barrett and the others to REALLY confront their feelings about eco-terrorism, instead of just being like "oh I guess Avalanche didn't have it all perfect, we killed some innocents ... moving on!" And they should've made Aeris a summon. LOL...

4) Final Fantasy X -- Say what you want, I love this game. I think the plot and character development (particularly Yuna) is excellent. I LOVE the FMVs in this game. It also marks Hamauzu's entrance to FF music and ends the "solo Uematsu" streak, and the music to this game is fantastic. Just breathtaking. The last boss could've been better (starting by not making Yu-Yevon an auto-win fight and giving us real challenge!). There are parts of the game that lag. I know some people didn't like the puzzles in the temples (I did though!). The sphere grid is awesome, until endgame when everyone becomes the same character with the same skillset (minus Yuna, who gets to summon stuff). I wish Lulu hadn't been worthless by endgame, because I liked her, she gets style points.

3) Final Fantasy VIII -- I'm currently playing this on PSN and I'm loving the crap out of it. Among the first nine games, where Uematsu was solo on composition, this is my favorite work of his, hands-down. Liberi Fatali, the standard battle music, any of the tracks on disc 4 of the OST ... well actually, anything on ANY disc of the OST. This is a great soundtrack. People have talked shit on the game's plot. But I like the plot a lot. Where does it suffer? Lack of character development for some of your party, particularly Irvine and Quistis. And of course, the draw system needs to be done away with. But GUARDIAN FORCES and junctioning were great! This was the first game to introduce ZERO random encounters (via Diabolos), and that has made all the difference.

2) Final Fantasy VI -- VI and IX are neck and neck. Let me tell you why I love them. First, each character has a DEFINED role. Yes, everyone (mostly everyone) learned magic with Espers in VI. But still, you knew who was good at what in VI. It was obvious. In IX, it's a little more obvious, though there are plenty of abilities/traits that are shared among characters. VI and IX are also epic games with huge scopes and lots of subquests. Hell, the entire last half of VI is optional!

FFVI makes it this high on the list also because it has so many playable characters: 14 in total, excluding temporary members Banon and Leo (and um... Biggs and Wedge, and a ton of moogles, and some ghosts). The Esper system was great for its time; the plot was great; the "choose your order of getting stuff done" early in the game was fun. Move-input for Sabin was fun (and frustrating). Completionists would find more here than in any previous FF, to be sure. Maxing out abilities for Gau and Strago is a true challenge. Also, the little hidden plot points regarding Shadow and Relm? Loved that stuff. I have so much more to say, but I won't say it. Except to say this: anyone who REALLY loves this game should get the GBA version and do the extra dungeon. It's the same as the final dungeon in that you split your party into three groups and go on a switch-door puzzle quest. Except the extra dungeon is like 5 times bigger and has harder battles.

1) Final Fantasy IX -- What's not to love about this game? Well, apparently some people despise it (see D-Rider's post above mine). But this one is easily my top (hey, I have something in common with Mesh!). Why? First, for the reasons shared with VI (unique character classes, great endgame subquest stuff). Second, the "return to Sakaguchi" deal was a big seller for me. Nomura took a backseat, and it shows. The story felt like something from the SNES era, but put into a higher graphical resolution.

Speaking of graphics, this game has the best graphics of any PS1 game. Seriously. Think about it.

Musically, it's not my FAVORITE among Uematsu's work, but there are some great tracks to be found, particularly among the softer stuff and the FMV orchestral cues (with Shiro Hamaguchi). Oh yeah, and the FMVs? There are a ton of them and they're all awesome. I remember the first time I saw that forest turn to stone. HOLY CRAP that was amazing.

Plot-wise: Garnet is my favorite FF female, with Yuna and Celes tied for second (we'll see what I think of Lightning soon enough). Dagger/Garnet/whatever-her-birth-name-is was this upbeat, awesome, NORMAL person. Kind of like Zidane, except Zidane also had a tail. We were all getting a LITTLE tired of angsty protagonists by this point in FF history. Zidane was so much like Locke from FFVI, except Locke couldn't go Super Saiyan, so Zidane wins.

What else? Steiner was hilarious. Freya was awesome. Amarant was a dick, but I was okay with that. Man, even Quena Quen, that fat waste of space, I didn't mind that much.

OH AND LET'S NOT FORGET!!! Learning abilities from equipment. This is awesome. It's like materia, except once you learn it, you have it permanently, and there's "materia" embedded in each piece of equipment. Some equipment could be shared among characters, other pieces were unique (particularly weapons). I loved this growth system. And then being able to switch on or off abilities based on some point system, that was good too.

Is there anything I'm missing? OH YEAH! The return to four characters in battle. I'm sorry, but I really dislike the trend of three to a party. It was excusable in X and XII since you could have on-the-fly character swapping. But VII and VIII, that really bummed me out. I love having four characters in battle. I can see how five is overkill (even though I love FFIV), but 4 to a battle seems like the perfect number to me.

----------------

I'm very excited to see where XIII ends up fitting in my personal ranking; not just among FFs, but among my whole list of 150+ RPGs beaten.

Ramza

PS - I hope to someday make this list with DQ series as well. So far I've only beaten IV and V.

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2010, 11:06:21 PM »

I ranked everything but 11 because I haven't played it.

From best to worst:

6 (What can I say?  Few RPGs rate as highly as this one does for me, and most of them are named Suikoden.  Just a completely superb game, very few things I can think of to dislike about this game.  Even at my height of "I HATE EVERYTHING FINAL FANTASY" phase, I still addended every cry of that with "But I still like FF6".)

4 (First FF game I ever played, and I still love all the characters dearly to this day.  Especially Yang, Tellah, and the Twins.  Scene at Mt. Ordeals still makes me shiver with excitement every time I see it.  Did 4 elemental fiend bosses right for what may have been the only time in all of RPG history.  The DS version can kiss my ass though, hated that piece of shit all the way through.)

9 (Nostalgia fag here, plus I honestly love the static class system over the "everyone can do everything" that the games had been doing since 6.  Characters were great, so that's always a nice bonus)

10 (Honestly, I just loved the battle system and the Sphere Grid.  Blitzball was pretty fun to mess with too.  Not too thrilled with the main game though.  Made Status Ailments relevant for most of the game, which was kind of cool)

1 (I love the classics, what can I say?  Even for how old the game is, the class balance still holds up really well today, with every party being viable in endgame.  The game just works, period.)

8 (Triple Triad alone ranks this high, everything else about the game I detested)

5 (Bartz was a cool guy.  Eh kills Gilgamesh and doesn't afraid of anything.  Also Monks)

7 (Not a big fan of most of it, especially after S-E retconned the story into the weaksauce bullshit it is now, but the original was an interesting game at the very least.  Also have to give it props for making RPG's easier to get in the US)

2 (Solely from my love of SaGa, and the fact that SaGa wouldn't exist if not for this.  Plus, I do feel it was legitimately better then the awful, awful 3)

12 (Ugh.  Just...ugh)

3 (Worst $40 I think I've ever spent.  And I bought Alone in the Dark for the 360!)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2010, 11:10:25 PM »

10 (Honestly, I just loved the battle system and the Sphere Grid.  Blitzball was pretty fun to mess with too.  Not too thrilled with the main game though.  Made Status Ailments relevant for most of the game, which was kind of cool)

Why couldn't they have re-used CTB in another game? They used ATB for like, what, six? And CTB for one?

Square's constant refusal to reuse things as of late means they never bother perfecting anything.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2010, 11:20:48 PM »

8 (Triple Triad alone ranks this high, everything else about the game I detested)

I'm sorry to hear you didn't like the game so much. But I agree with you that Triple Triad is HAWT STUFF!

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2010, 12:13:27 AM »

Pretty much the only thing that appealed to me in FF8 was that Zell's Limit Break was KINDA like Sabin's Blitz moves, and that Irvine had a cool design.  The rest of it I just can't even look at without throwing up a little in my mouth.  It's got almost everything I hate in JRPG's.

-Whiny bitch love interest
-Loner jackass hero
-"Everyone can do everything" character growth system
-Poor use of enemy level scaling
-Lots of magic spells, but none of which are useful in any way due to Limit Breaks and Junction system
-Limit Breaks not being heavily restricted so as to make all normal abilities useless
-Pointless, traipsing story that never has any satisfying conclusions (Although I will say that the Zell sidequest was at least mildly amusing)

By Disc 2, I was only really playing to get access to new Triple Triad cards and to just beat the game and put it behind me.  It just wasn't any fun outside of that single activity.
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2010, 12:35:56 AM »

From top to bottom:

• Final Fantasy 6
  • Final Fantasy 7
  • Final Fantasy 4
  • Final Fantasy 8
  • Final Fantasy 9
  • Final Fantasy 5
  • Final Fantasy 10
  • Final Fantasy 11
  • Final Fantasy 3

I couldn't make a tenth spot because I haven't played 1, 2, and 12. Well, not much of 12 to form an opinion.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2010, 11:44:48 AM »

I've enjoyed every FF game I've played,so this is tough:
I have NOT played: 2,3,5,11

7. FFI - I remember playing through this kind of as a team with my brothers. It was a bitch and a half, but being one of the first rpgs we'd played we trudged on through.

6. FFVIII - I made it to disk 3 and then gave up after getting my ass kicked over and over again. Too much reliance on GFs and a complete lack of understanding in regards to the battle system ruined it. Loved the setting, though. I actually liked Rinoa, too.

5. FFIX - I actually liked this game quite a bit at the time. I just don't remember much about it. I hated the hermaphroditic chef, and the music was blah.

4. FFXII - I liked this way more than I expected to. The overall story was lost on me, but most of the characters we're cool. Loved Rabanastre. The music was just OK

3. FFVI - This rocked my world when it came out. The graphics, the music, the "dark" storyline. The only thing I didn't like was the espers taking away some of the individuality of the characters. They still had defined roles,though, so that's a pretty minor weakness.

2. FFX - I liked how the story was told. I liked Tidus' evolution from whiner to hero. The battle system didn't rot my brain with complexity. It was fast and fun. Add in incredible graphics and some pretty good tunes and this is one solid game

1. FFIV - I am unapolegtically nostalgic about this game. One of my favorite soundtracks of all time for ANY game. I WISH modern rpgs(or any game) would have soundtracks this good.  I loved the mix of tech with fantasy. Cecil and Kain are just too cool.

Reading the soundtrack review of FFXIII excites me. Music is HUGELY important to me in a game, and it seems to have gone by the wayside. Too much incidental and environmental stuff going on nowadays. Not enough emphasis on making something that sounds great. We'll see.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: Mistbron#3: Hero of Ages
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2010, 12:30:16 PM »

1 - FFVI
2 - FFX
3 - FFVII
4 - FFVIII
5 - FFV
6 - FFXII
7 - FFIV
8 - FFIX
9 - FFIII
10 - FFII

Yes, I really like FFVIII and not so much FFIX.  I think the reason for IX though is that Crono Cross was overshadowing it at the time.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2010, 03:52:10 PM »

OH AND LET'S NOT FORGET!!! Learning abilities from equipment. This is awesome.

I have no idea how I missed this.

I DON'T necessarily agree that learning abilities from equipment is the best possible idea, although I did like it. Why it's important though is that it deals with weapon obsolescence. Every weapon in FFIX is rendered unique in in some way, either because of the skill you learn from it or the Added Ability... stats. It's not really a PERFECT solution but it's better, to me, than the norm where every weapon is essentially identical except in stats, and the stats increase in a strictly linear fashion.

Lots of magic spells, but none of which are useful in any way due to Limit Breaks and Junction system

What about that spell that let you use limit breaks immediately/constantly (which I never used because I got through the entire game up till like the final dungeon by just spamming summons).

o/` I do not dream o/`

Wild Armor
Observer
Contributing Editor

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2010, 05:47:38 PM »

1. FF4 - Just loved this game, the characters and story was
2. FF6 - Second Final Fantasy I ever played, left a good impression on me. Enjoyed the music and all the characters.
3. FF7 - Good music, fun Battles.
4. FF1 - I remember this being a fun game. Enjoyed it greatly...still haven't beaten it though.
5. FF8 - I welcomed the draw system with open arms, and the music was pretty good too.
7. FF10 - Good game. Music was so-so
6. FF9 -  Did not play this enough, but if I did it would have gotten higher
8. FF12 - Meh
9. FF5 - Got halfway and just stopped. Lost interest.
10. "Reserved for an Unknown Final Fantasy" In case any FF comes out that I despised.

If I included anything outside the series: Mystic Quest goes straight to Number 1. Maybe I'm just a masochistic person, but I loved that game. It was just plain goofy and I had a lot of fun playing. Music was pretty good too.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2010, 06:07:01 PM »

I would've really liked Mystic Quest if it weren't for a few stupid things. Like, had they gotten rid of those battlefileds, or better yet, replaced the ten regular fights with a single, optional boss battle. Also better dungeon layouts with fewer encounters or enemies that moved around...

o/` I do not dream o/`

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2010, 06:24:51 PM »

If we're including Mystic Quest, that takes my number 3 slot between FF4 and 9.  Mystic Quest was amazing.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2010, 07:32:07 PM »

1.FFXI-in my opion the best story/stories of the final fantasy series.
2.FFX-best battle system and decent replay value though i never did the lightning bolt dodging
3.FFT(psp version)
4.FF8-one of the first things that got me into final fantasy was the cool summon attacks. that and i have a thing for hot chicks with glasses.
5.FFXII-hours and hours of fun plus some truely epic hunts the king behemoth really tested my mental muscle. besides without this game there wouldnt of been awesome Ashe hentai =P
6.FFT A2.
7.FFV-job system nuff said.
8.is it ok to list FF7 AC?
my list ends here because i havent played FF 1-4 and i completely lost interest in ff6 when kefka blows up the world.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: