Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 11:58:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334652 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  What version of FF XIII to get?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Print
Author Topic: What version of FF XIII to get?  (Read 19540 times)
ShiningHero

Lawlerabs

lightbreakerec@hotmail.com Blazeddc
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2010, 04:45:34 PM »

The way I'm looking at it...

PS3
-One disc
-Quiet(This is probably only a plus for a me)
-Potentially uncompressed video

-The ability to save each disc to the hdd which will probably lead to faster load times.
-Party Chat (Who doesn't want to chat about an RPG with others?)
-Custom Soundtrack Support?

I'd choose PS3 only because I can't stand the sound of my 360 even with the game installed.

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2010, 05:44:00 PM »

Not when it's the developers themselves saying it!

Well, then they're fucking stupid.

-Potentially uncompressed video

Nope.  There is no potential.  There won't be uncompressed video at all.  Period.  End of story.

Sony has to use AVC, VC-1, or MPEG 2 compression to make movies fit on Blu-Ray, so why the fuck do people think there's some realm of possibility that there'll be uncompressed 1080p pre-rendered video for this game?  Uncompressed full RGB 24 FPS video consumes 11 GIGABYTES of space per minute.  That's just the video BTW.

Uncompressed audio on the other hand?  That's definitely in the realm of possibility.

That being said, I've had the PS3 version pre-ordered for awhile now, because buying the 360 version when you own a PS3 is like buying Bayonetta for PS3 when you have a 360.  PS3 version will have 1080p cutscenes which automatically means at least one major component of the game will be superior to the 360 version.  Anything else is left in the realm of chance when it comes to owning the game at launch.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 05:46:15 PM by Parn » Logged
Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2010, 05:52:07 PM »

I was honestly looking through this forum to find when you made a post like that before, Parn. I knew straightup that shit couldn't possibly be uncompressed.

BTW, don't forget, SE themselves said "these comparison screens are the two different versions."

You know what? They've fucked that shit up, then pinned it on some random PR person that people can froth their hatred against. Square is making so much shit up about this game, and they really have no need to. First it's "these are the two versions side by side," then it's "we dumbed down the PS3 one" (are you kidding? Why would they make their work of art LOOK SHITTIER ON PURPOSE? HINT: THEY FUCKING WOULDN'T), blah blah fucking blah.

None of this is going to matter when you put the game in your system, whichever one you get, play the game and get so enamored with it you forget which buttons you press anyway. It all becomes an abstract interaction of subconscious and conscionable thought once it's down to eye-hand coordination. Not eye-mouth-hand.

I'm probably gonna sound and look like the kind of abrasively cantankerous jackass as per usual, but sincerely, most people who've posted in this topic are the reason games have become less works of love and art, and rush-jobs to meet bitchy, whiny, cryass children who demand their polygons don't tear for a billionth of a fucking second.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2010, 06:21:22 PM »

Of course there isn't uncompressed video, the issue here is the resolution for christ's sake!

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2010, 06:24:24 PM »

most people who've posted in this topic are the reason games have become less works of love and art, and rush-jobs to meet bitchy, whiny, cryass children who demand their polygons don't tear for a billionth of a fucking second.

Thanks. (if I'm included in "most people" of course)

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2010, 06:34:39 PM »

most people who've posted in this topic are the reason games have become less works of love and art, and rush-jobs to meet bitchy, whiny, cryass children who demand their polygons don't tear for a billionth of a fucking second.

Well I'll be playing it on an SDTV(because I am a poor student) so there.

I'll be getting it on the PS3 for the potentially uncompressed audio, I like the controller better and the fact I don't own a 360.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2010, 07:05:18 PM »

Using bink for the 360 probably wasn't the best option though... Today I've seen several sites reporting considerably inferior textures during gameplay but I'm guessing it's BS.

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2010, 07:10:37 PM »

Well, here's an article:

http://www.rpgsite.net/previews/42/198/final-fantasy-xiii-xbox-360-version-hands-on-impressions.html

Of note:

FF13 comes packed with 40-some minutes of pre-rendered CGI sequences that help to further the story, and on the PS3 they run at 1080p and aren’t compressed as highly as on the Xbox 360 version. As well as being heavily compressed, the 360 CGI FMVs run at 720, a lower resolution.

In addition to the CGI sequences, one thing a lot of people don’t realize about FF13 is that many of the ‘in engine’ cutscenes aren’t rendered on the fly – they’re pre-rendered sequences, rendered on a powerful development machine and then placed onto the disc as a video file. That’s one of Square Enix’s tricks for getting their character models and environments to look so much prettier in the cutscenes than in gameplay.

The end result is this: as well as lower-quality CGI sequences, any of the game’s ‘in-engine’ cutscenes that aren’t rendered in real time will suffer from the same compression issues. These sequences are only at 720p on the PS3, but the Xbox 360 compression is significantly more powerful in order to fit the game onto 3 DVDs. The compression used means that any video sequences in the game have a slightly reduced quality.

In reality the compression isn’t going to bother most gamers, and you’ll have to sit pretty damn close to the TV or be playing the game on a massive TV or projector for the difference to detract from your gaming experience. The FMVs are still incredibly impressive – they’re just ever-so-slightly less vivid on the Xbox 360.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2010, 07:13:43 PM »

-Custom Soundtrack Support?

Considering how good the OST supposedly is, I'm not sure that's a pro. 

Anyways, I'll probably grab the 360 version.  I'm not nearly as hyped as I was months before (which is a good thing) which may lead to me grabbing the 360 version solely because I find achievements kinda fun.  We'll see, I may still grab the PS3 version afterall.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2010, 07:45:57 PM »

I'm not saying this is the truth, but from what I've heard there could be contracts signed between Microsoft and Square regarding how the game looks on the 360. Like, if they paid a ton of money to get the game on the 360, they don't want "bad press" when the game comes out when everyone starts talking about how much better the PS3 version looks and runs.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2010, 07:51:14 PM »

Well, here's an article:

http://www.rpgsite.net/previews/42/198/final-fantasy-xiii-xbox-360-version-hands-on-impressions.html

Of note:

FF13 comes packed with 40-some minutes of pre-rendered CGI sequences that help to further the story, and on the PS3 they run at 1080p and aren’t compressed as highly as on the Xbox 360 version. As well as being heavily compressed, the 360 CGI FMVs run at 720, a lower resolution.

In addition to the CGI sequences, one thing a lot of people don’t realize about FF13 is that many of the ‘in engine’ cutscenes aren’t rendered on the fly – they’re pre-rendered sequences, rendered on a powerful development machine and then placed onto the disc as a video file. That’s one of Square Enix’s tricks for getting their character models and environments to look so much prettier in the cutscenes than in gameplay.

The end result is this: as well as lower-quality CGI sequences, any of the game’s ‘in-engine’ cutscenes that aren’t rendered in real time will suffer from the same compression issues. These sequences are only at 720p on the PS3, but the Xbox 360 compression is significantly more powerful in order to fit the game onto 3 DVDs. The compression used means that any video sequences in the game have a slightly reduced quality.

In reality the compression isn’t going to bother most gamers, and you’ll have to sit pretty damn close to the TV or be playing the game on a massive TV or projector for the difference to detract from your gaming experience. The FMVs are still incredibly impressive – they’re just ever-so-slightly less vivid on the Xbox 360.

Hm, I was curious about the pre-rendered videos using in-game assests because although they are 720p on the PS3 there seem to be quite a lot of them so it's not surprising that they were compressed even further on the 360.
Since the game upscales the 720p parts very well I'll be playing through the game at 1080p (native on CGI and upscaled for the rest). This could have been a dilema if the game didn't upscale well since you would either have to play at 720p sacrificing the quality of the CGI parts or play at 1080p with poor upscaling making the game look worse than in its native res. A lot of people actually make this mistake by disabling the 720p option in the menu forcing the game to run at an inferior 1080i instead of the 1080p they think they are getting. Anyway, if you own a fullHD tv you might want to go with the PS3 version.
I'm way more curious about real-time performance though, the 360 wins multi-plat most of the times but here the PS3 was the leading platform wich makes the whole thing more interesting because of how rarely that happens.

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2010, 08:01:10 PM »

I'm not saying this is the truth, but from what I've heard there could be contracts signed between Microsoft and Square regarding how the game looks on the 360. Like, if they paid a ton of money to get the game on the 360, they don't want "bad press" when the game comes out when everyone starts talking about how much better the PS3 version looks and runs.

Nah, there's nothing you can do about it really unless you want to put the game on 5 dvds. Apart from the cutscenes it will look the same because at the end of the day both hardwares produce very similar results. MS are using their money to advertise the game as a 360 exclusive in the US like they did with MW2. No sign of a PS3 version in the commercials. At least that's what I'm reading on forums, if you don't know there's a PS3 version you wont find out through the game's ad. Also no bundle for the sony machine.

Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2010, 08:36:37 PM »

I've finally put down some money for a PS3.  Therefore, I'll be picking up the PS3 version.  Oddly enough, I wasn't at all hyped up about this game under recently and I'm probably still not nearly as hyped as some of the frothing fans I've seen on forums.  I'm just looking forward to playing some next gen stuff at last.

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2010, 09:30:35 PM »

Not when it's the developers themselves saying it!

Well, then they're fucking stupid.

Some of this is poorly phrased honestly: I'm aware that compressing is inevitable, so the actual question is which is more compressed which... well, you addressed.

I'm probably gonna sound and look like the kind of abrasively cantankerous jackass as per usual, but sincerely, most people who've posted in this topic are the reason games have become less works of love and art, and rush-jobs to meet bitchy, whiny, cryass children who demand their polygons don't tear for a billionth of a fucking second.

Except this isn't actually an example of that, examples of that are when people are screaming that Halo 3 is sub-HD, then seeing other games are the same way and becoming frustrated that "nothing is HD". Here, for the most part people are set on the game, have both systems, and just want to figure out which version to get. If I'm shopping for an appliance, like a microwave, and I see two similar looking ones for the price I want, I'm going to be analyzing them to see which is the better purchase. If there's only one choice there (or the other is available so far away as to not be a factor) then I'm going to just go for the one that's available without fretting half as much.
sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2010, 10:01:39 PM »

Just preordered it for the PS3. Amazon is offering a $10 credit if you preorder now, if this hasn't been mentioned yet.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: