Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2014, 09:58:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327947 Posts in 13430 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  What version of FF XIII to get?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Print
Author Topic: What version of FF XIII to get?  (Read 19003 times)
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« on: February 16, 2010, 11:32:56 AM »

I've been thinking of preoridering this game, but was wondering if one version will be superior to the other? I've heard rumors that the PS3 version DID look better, but they actually lowered the quality of the graphics so both the 360 and PS3 versions looked identical. If both versions are going to look identical, does one version play better than the other, or does one version have more content than the other?

I've always wanted a dedicated gaming site that just focuses on the differences between multiplatform games.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 11:50:40 AM »

This thread is a HUGE can of worms but I'm just going to say that I'm getting the PS3 version only because it's on one blu-ray. Honestly though, I'd be happy with the 360 version as well, disc-swapping or not.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 11:52:48 AM »

That graphics lowering talk was probably just a rumor, or a twisted version of the 'movies have to be compressed on 360' story. I'd say just grab the PS3 version unless there's a very compelling reason to getting the 360 version instead like losing the PS3 soon somehow.
Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 12:04:35 PM »

The movies are still compressed on the PS3. So that argument is invalid.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 12:14:09 PM »

The movies are still compressed on the PS3. So that argument is invalid.
Not when it's the developers themselves saying it! Though it seems more accurate to me that the 360 movies are more compressed and I'm speculating that means they'll run in 720p while the PS3 movies will run at 1080p. Therefore the advantage likely only really matters if you have a 1080p TV or plan to get one.
lance_goodthrust

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 12:21:28 PM »

If you already have a PS3, get the PS3 version.  If you already have a Xbox, get the xbox version.  There is no need to switch consoles for one game.

if you have both,  i'd say get the xbox.  yes, it's 3 disks.  but it's 24X DVD-DL  vs. 2x BR-DVD.  the load time on the PS3 is just sucks.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 12:23:18 PM »

Actually, the developers did their best to minimize load times. Unless I hear some surprising reports it's not something I'll worry about.
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 12:27:29 PM »

Isn't the 360 having Bink compression?

Anyway, I'd get it for the PS3 since it's the only current home system that I have. And honestly, I'm not even sure if I want to get it. :/

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 01:28:06 PM »

I've always wanted a dedicated gaming site that just focuses on the differences between multiplatform games.

Look no further my friend:

http://www.eurogamer.net/archive.php?platform=digitalfoundry&type=face-off

You should probably wait for the reviews.

What we know so far is:

PS3 is 1 disc, 360 is 3.
CG movies are 1080p on the PS3 and 720p on 360.

There could be more (details on the 360 build are still a bit of a mistery) but believe me, it's all pretty irrelevant, you can't go wrong with either.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Saviour

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 02:07:38 PM »

When I pre-ordered this at EB the other day, I forgot to mention which version so the clerk asked and I responded through reaction "definitely PS3."

To be honest, I'm a huge Microsoft hater and therefore 360 as well. I was bleeding wtf tears when I saw the game being advertised as an Xbox 360 exclusive during the NBA all star weekend.

Edit: Found a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ABsJgxZH-Q&feature=player_embedded
K, it doesn't say exclusive. Still... Dx
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 02:11:49 PM by Saviour » Logged

Finished RPG Count: 90
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 02:54:03 PM »

I'm a huge M$ hater... but I'll give credit where credit is due. The 360 is the first Microsoft product... software or hardware, that I've ever bought. I've hated Microsoft for their business tactics. But however machiavellian MS is, it's really hard to act like they're worse than Sony. I'm perfectly happy that I bought a 360. It may be an anomoly for me, but as I said, I'll give credit where it's due.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 03:07:28 PM »

I'm getting the PS3 version even though I own both consoles.

WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 04:17:59 PM »

Im getting for ps3

I will beat you with my evil strategy of my evil 1.8 million IQ

add me to psn! the more the merrier!
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 04:29:25 PM »

Yeah, I have a 360 and a PS3 so looks like I'll get the PS3 version since the only issue for PS3 is there MAY be some long loading times. I have a 1080p HDTV, so i will be able to tell the difference in the movies. Plus, my PS3 is full 1080p and my 360 is an older version only capable of 1080i. I'm old, I still consider the home of Final Fantasy games to be Nintendo.
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2010, 04:36:16 PM »

Interesting, I wasn't aware Square was going to go with just 720p for the 360 version.  That in and of itself wouldn't make me go for the PS3 version (that really depends on what reviews point out), but that's a big key to me too since my TV is fairly recent.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: