Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 04:57:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334701 Posts in 13707 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  12 y/o Jailed for Drawing on Desk
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: 12 y/o Jailed for Drawing on Desk  (Read 4449 times)
Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« on: February 18, 2010, 11:14:12 AM »

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/02/18/new.york.doodle.arrest/index.html?hpt=C1

This is fucking

BULLSHIT
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 11:32:12 AM »

While I don't really care for the stigma and and snobbery of boarding and private schools, I may be forced to send my future kids to one based on all the crap that goes on in public schools these days.
Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 11:57:58 AM »

Like a boarding school is any better. There's no replacement for proper parenting, and despite how horrible this event is for someone her age, I'm sure having her parents to comfort her is making it easier for her.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 12:23:30 PM »

Well, my comment was more directed to the fact that atleast in a bording or private school, you have some control/choice on what the rules are.

I mean, how many people have ever sat at a desk that didn't have writing on etching on it...I never wrote on desks but I mean come on. There are more important things in school to worry about...oh like education.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 12:26:17 PM »

Punishment does not fit the crime.  I can see calling the authorities if there were suspcious bruises, drug paraphernelia, weapons (it's not uncommon for female bullies to hide razor blades and keep them between their fingers while they slap other girls) etc, but writing on a desk?  The penalty for writing on a desk should be something like making the student stay after school and wipe down all the desks in the classroom with Chubbs Baby Wipes.  My 7th grade math teacher did that if she caught us writing on desks.  
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 12:28:32 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 12:34:32 PM »

The penalty for writing on a desk should be something like making the student stay after school and wipe down all the desks in the classroom with Chubbs Baby Wipes.  My 7th grade math teacher did that if she caught us writing on desks.  

This.
Considering what the girl wrote wasn't malicious at all, the penalty is completely ridiculous.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 01:48:00 PM »

This is just as bad as the mom who forced her kid to kill his hamster over bad grades(Was it bad grades? I forgot) :(

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 05:52:16 PM »

My 7th grade math teacher kept a supply of hamsters on hand and if she caught us writing on the desks she'd make us kill one. After awhile, though, we got used to it and started finding it fun. We'd write on the desks just so we COULD smash a hamster in.

On the last day of class she told us what complete monsters we'd become, and revealed that the obliteration of every last shred of the humanity that we had once had was the real punishment.

True story, bro.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

SonicDeathMonkey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 05:58:08 PM »

^lmfao dude you're crazy that seriously just made my day.
Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 06:02:57 PM »

I'm an elementary school teacher. If I called the office on every kid who doodles on a desk, and they responded like this, then the entire district would have no kids in it because they'd all be in jail. My way of dealing with the problem is I call the kid aside, talk about WHY drawing on desks is not a good idea, ask the child to think of what they'll do next time and how to positively deal with the problem now. Most will suggest clean the desk. There, problem solved. It's treated respectfully and away from their peers.

School Administrators are throwing kids in jail and fearmongering them because it's easier than actually taking the time to do...you know, POSITIVE behavior management with children.

dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 07:33:33 PM »

I drew stick figures having sex all the time on the desks and never got in trouble for it. I guess I was lucky.

But seriously, jail?
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 08:59:30 PM »

you know, POSITIVE behavior management with children.

Okay, even if you can't do positive behavior management, isn't it just easier to like, verbally bitchslap them instead of calling the cops? And I'm PRETTY SURE the school district has to pay the police for coming out there given that it's not an emergency situation and still runs up the police department's... money.

Kind of surprised the police actually arrested the kid though. If I was the cop I would've just called the principal a dumbass or whatever and then punched his nuts for wasting my precious time.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 09:16:25 PM »

Hmm, gotta agree this one's a bit excessive unless that particular desk is like a god or something.  Zero tolerance policies are too much for education, though I will say that in general educators don't have enough ability to discipline anymore when parents fail to raise their children properly.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 09:18:49 PM by Ryos » Logged

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2010, 09:42:31 PM »

Homeschooling folks. Learn it, Live it, Love it.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2010, 09:46:06 PM »

The biggest problem with parents not raising their kids properly is that their kids grow up to be just like them, only worse off, and then you get really nasty brain drain effects in areas, shit like, I don't know, reverse gentrification, previously fairly affluent areas getting poor... whatever you call it. Basically the amount of stupid in a given area just concentrates and gets higher, because there's nothing to draw any new people in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG9CE55wbtY&feature=channel Also tangentially relevant. I feel like college, at least, has killed my creativity, although that's another rant, and I'll openly admit that the only reasons I want to go to grad school are because A) it's an excuse to move to a city where I actually want to live and B) I can stay on my parents' insurance policy till I'm like, 25 as long as I remain in school till then.

In regards to A, I'm hoping it's really just this town that's making me feel so... void inside.

Homeschooling folks. Learn it, Live it, Love it.

Homeschooling. Most of the homeschoolers I know are completely fucking insane religious fundamentalists who let their children play with axes and no I'm not fucking making that up. They scare the fuck out of me. It's like some fucked up Branch Davidian vibes coming from them.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: