Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 07:17:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319690 Posts in 13046 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  12 y/o Jailed for Drawing on Desk
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: 12 y/o Jailed for Drawing on Desk  (Read 4197 times)
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2010, 10:22:21 PM »

In regards to parenting..Mandatory Reversible Sterilization.  Have to take some sort of test to prove your not a complete dipshit to remove it.

But I agree with most of this stuff.  Schools can't do much anymore, always afraid of lawsuits from idiot parents who want a quick dollar but don't really give a damn. 

All of its fucked the hell up.  About sums up our education system at the current time.  Cause ya know, god forbid a shooting happens at one of a million schools, so that means every person entering a school is now secretly wanting to go on a murderous rampage, so WE MUST STAMP OUT ALL QUESTIONABLE AND BAD BEHAVIOR.

Hell If I had gone to one of these big city, highly fucked up schools, id have probably been put on death row.  I used to say id kill people when I got pissed off cause its how I dealt with shit.  Only reason I didn't is because I went to a rural school with like 60 kids in my class, and they were smart enough to realize it was a defense mechanism, and that I wasn't gonna go shooting people.

I could go on and on and be more specific and blah blah, but such thinking makes me angry and as I have no children I dont really care.  I got my own crap to worry about.l

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2010, 04:22:41 AM »

Homeschooling. Most of the homeschoolers I know are completely fucking insane religious fundamentalists who let their children play with axes and no I'm not fucking making that up. They scare the fuck out of me. It's like some fucked up Branch Davidian vibes coming from them.

Funny, I've encountered the exact opposite. Generally the homeschoolers I've met are pretty solid, well-rounded individuals who have a lot more responsibility in their system than their peers.

But hey, mileage varies.

We gotta get the Dutch system working over here already.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2010, 07:11:48 AM »

Re: Homeschooling.  My opinion on it can be (surprise, surprise) found in an episode of South Park.

I approve of this nonsense!
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2010, 02:39:29 PM »

Homeschooling. Most of the homeschoolers I know are completely fucking insane religious fundamentalists who let their children play with axes and no I'm not fucking making that up. They scare the fuck out of me. It's like some fucked up Branch Davidian vibes coming from them.

Funny, I've encountered the exact opposite. Generally the homeschoolers I've met are pretty solid, well-rounded individuals who have a lot more responsibility in their system than their peers.

Homeschooling quality depends on the parents since they pretty much have to take the lead in teaching their kids.  For the most part the homeschooled kids fare better than their peers academically (especially the brighter kids because they don't have to be slowed down by the rest of the class) but socially they tend to be more introverted for obvious reasons.  I remember colleges wanting to reach out to homeschooled kids back when I did my undergrad because those students will tend to excel in the university system.

For the most part Hidoshi's experiences mirror my own regardless of how much religion is infused in the homeschooling.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 02:42:26 PM by Ryos » Logged

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2010, 07:51:48 PM »

Sorry for going completely off topic, but what kind of axes are you talking about?  I learned to handle a hatchet when I was pretty young and I certainly don't see anything wrong with that.  It's just a tool.

Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2010, 08:40:35 PM »

It's just mesh seeing a single person doing something and automatically assuming everybody else is exactly the same.

BTW, I was homeschooled from 2nd grade up. Just putting that out there.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2010, 01:40:49 AM »

Homeschooling quality depends on the parents since they pretty much have to take the lead in teaching their kids.  For the most part the homeschooled kids fare better than their peers academically (especially the brighter kids because they don't have to be slowed down by the rest of the class) but socially they tend to be more introverted for obvious reasons.  I remember colleges wanting to reach out to homeschooled kids back when I did my undergrad because those students will tend to excel in the university system.

For the most part Hidoshi's experiences mirror my own regardless of how much religion is infused in the homeschooling.

It should be noted that those who are homeschooled for legitimate reasons were probably introverted to begin with, or at least are now thanks to their time in the public school system.

Btw, RPGFan's Ignore Feature SUUUUUUUUUUUUCKS!!!

Re: Homeschooling.  My opinion on it can be (surprise, surprise) found in an episode of South Park.

I take it then that you're speaking from personal experience and not just making blind assumptions or wild speculations. Amirite?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 12:39:51 AM by KillerArmoire » Logged

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2010, 02:15:19 AM »

Neither.  Based on academic research I helped peers do while in grad school.  I did a lot of research article reading, peers did interviews and stuff.  So my opinion is a carefully formed one, even if it lacks firsthand experience.  Of course, I can't have firsthand experience in everything.  Like if I'm helping a friend cope with a divorce, do I need to have gone through one myself?  I don't think so.  And I sure as hell do NOT want to go through one. 

Art imitates life for me in that episodes of The Simpsons or South Park are the easiest way to reflect my opinions on various heady subjects. 

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2010, 04:52:10 AM »

Neither.  Based on academic research I helped peers do while in grad school.  I did a lot of research article reading, peers did interviews and stuff.  So my opinion is a carefully formed one, even if it lacks firsthand experience.  Of course, I can't have firsthand experience in everything.  Like if I'm helping a friend cope with a divorce, do I need to have gone through one myself?  I don't think so.  And I sure as hell do NOT want to go through one. 

Art imitates life for me in that episodes of The Simpsons or South Park are the easiest way to reflect my opinions on various heady subjects. 

Remember some of these?

A lot of those studies were based on academic research too. It can be pretty easy to cherry pick data that supports one's claim and to disregard any evidence of the contrary.

Can you tell me, how many of those interviews were with people who were actually homeschooling their children and not just watched South Park or whatever, or how many articles did your peers read while doing this research, or what were your peers' mindset when they conducted this study?

To say that there are people who abuse Homeschooling for biased reasons is one thing. To say that homeschooling is nothing more than an unjustifiably ridiculous parody with no redeeming qualities whatsoever is something completely different.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2010, 08:00:55 AM »

The first one.  But now it's starting to sound like a religion debate.  Are there people who give X, Y, or Z religion a bad name?  Absolutely.  Does it make the X, Y, or Z religion inherently bad?  Absolutely not.  Doesn't mean I have to like it.

I still don't get why you're calling me out.  I'm not the only one out there who's not 100% sold on homeschooling (to put it kindly) nor am I the only one whose point of view on anything has been reflected in an episode of The SImpsons or South Park.  Although it does seem a bit of a running gag with me.

Sounds to me like this is personal for you.

CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2010, 08:57:31 AM »

I had state schooling in Malaysia for about 11 years-- and during those 11 years, state schools came out of its "acceptable to slap/beat school children" phase into its "don't lay a hand on my child" phase. Maybe this is something people always say about their younger generation-- but I do think that the latter phase really spoils the shit out of students these days. It could be because parents are becoming less responsible and schools are becoming more afraid and nobody wants to be the strict disciplinarian.

Okay, so that was veering a bit off-topic. But I think I can understand why home schooling works for some parents these days. They want to instill their children with strong principles and offer them some flexibility with academic growth. Some of them are afraid of what peer pressure in state schools will do to their kids at a susceptible age. I don't think I could personally find it in myself to home school any children I might have in the future-- but I had experiences at school that were character-building and important; things I don't think one can impart in a home schooling environment. So to each their own. There's nothing wrong with either, if done well.

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2010, 11:27:02 AM »

I really hate the people that argue that homeschooled kids are always so messed up and have crazy values and they are introverts and all that. People like that exist in ANY school.  There is no correlation between that and homeschooling.  In fact, from what I can see, if you have a fully dedicated and committed parent, homeschooling will ALWAYS be better.  You can structure the lessons and classes specifically to the needs of the child who may work better at a slower pace or less structure.  I hate to make broad generalizations, but just from my experience, the social aspect of public schooling was complete garbage.  There was absolutely nothing for me that promoted sociability.  In fact, in my public schools I was probably one of those
"weird quiet kids" that people assume home schooled kids are.  Hell I know a few people being home schooled, and who have been much of their lives, and they are anything but socially inept.  In the end there is nothing that gets in the way of how good either system is aside from the work the parent puts into it.

I also personally think that where I live the topics covered in our schools are atrocious and are handled in all the wrong ways.

Bah...I'm just going to end this stupid rant. 
Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2010, 02:31:52 PM »

In fact, from what I can see, if you have a fully dedicated and committed parent, homeschooling will ALWAYS be better. 
I'll fully agree with this. My mom was my teacher for many years, and I was naturally more prone to listen to her than someone I didn't entirely know. She also let me play Super Nintendo on my recess. Believe me, that shit helped me a lot when I needed a break.

Just an FYI, I used to get straight Fs in regular school, including an attempt back at standard school in 9th grade. I simply could not work in that environment full of idiots and noise makers, and ended up with straight Fs. Once back in Homeschooling, which did involve the school district and a campus, and books, btw––I started going straight A+. My ending grades were straight A+ across the board, and a C- in Math giving me a 3.7GPA and 140+ more Highschool credits than I needed to graduate.

I know people where I live who are nearing 20 years old and still do not have their GED. So for anyone shit-talking Homeschooling for being all bad and twisting people's minds out of proportion, you seriously do not know what you're talking about. Everybody is different, and some people need different learning methods.

Hell, I challenge anybody here to argue against the concept of kinesthetic learning, visual learning, and auditory learning. Bluntly, I do not know that these are factual methods, though I do know some people do not learn in all the same way. Some learn in one or two, some in all three, blah blah blah. It was simply the way I learned best was not taught in schools, and my mother, who loved me to no end (though I'll probably never know why...) understood me enough to design specific ways for me to learn better.

So, as Az said, I got an infinitely better education by being out of public schools. I'm sure plenty of folks could argue that, but, I feel I'm smarter than the average bear.
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2010, 05:00:42 PM »

The topic speaks for itself, so let me indulge a pessimistic angle here.

The teacher probably had it out for the child.  At work, if you suddenly notice yourself getting talked to about seemingly insignificant flubs, you are on the way to getting fired.  You can't quantify laziness, but if your register is off by a dime, there is a record of it.  They don't need to care about a dime, but they do care about your general work ethic.  Crimes require hard evidence... perhaps this child finally did *something* that could be used against her.  It was something insignificant, but still something.

Otherwise it's too stupid.  Funny how my rose colored glasses would prefer a 12 year old be a bad child just so that the world makes sense.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2010, 07:39:22 PM »

I really hate the people that argue that homeschooled kids are always so messed up and have crazy values and they are introverts and all that. People like that exist in ANY school.  There is no correlation between that and homeschooling.  In fact, from what I can see, if you have a fully dedicated and committed parent, homeschooling will ALWAYS be better.  You can structure the lessons and classes specifically to the needs of the child who may work better at a slower pace or less structure.  I hate to make broad generalizations, but just from my experience, the social aspect of public schooling was complete garbage.  There was absolutely nothing for me that promoted sociability.  In fact, in my public schools I was probably one of those
"weird quiet kids" that people assume home schooled kids are.  Hell I know a few people being home schooled, and who have been much of their lives, and they are anything but socially inept.  In the end there is nothing that gets in the way of how good either system is aside from the work the parent puts into it.

I also personally think that where I live the topics covered in our schools are atrocious and are handled in all the wrong ways.

Bah...I'm just going to end this stupid rant. 

QFFT!

The topic speaks for itself, so let me indulge a pessimistic angle here.

The teacher probably had it out for the child.  At work, if you suddenly notice yourself getting talked to about seemingly insignificant flubs, you are on the way to getting fired.  You can't quantify laziness, but if your register is off by a dime, there is a record of it.  They don't need to care about a dime, but they do care about your general work ethic.  Crimes require hard evidence... perhaps this child finally did *something* that could be used against her.  It was something insignificant, but still something.

Otherwise it's too stupid.  Funny how my rose colored glasses would prefer a 12 year old be a bad child just so that the world makes sense.

I can believe that, though I'm thinking its probably the principal who's out to get the child since I doubt that the teacher has the power to actually get a child arrested.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: