Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 06:14:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319307 Posts in 13037 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Which currently Japan-only handheld are you most interested in?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Which currently Japan-only handheld are you most interested in?  (Read 1617 times)
Akira
The Renegade of this Atomic Age

jonnybfbi
View Profile

Ignore
« on: February 20, 2010, 09:31:02 AM »

Resonance of Fate review: will post any minute now
Valkyria Chronicles 2 review: A week
SMT Strange Journey: 2 weeks

So which import review should I start come March? There are four big Japan-only handhelds that I can think of:

God Eater - PSP, Monster Hunter-esque, strong sales and good reviews in Japan so far.

Dragon Quest VI DS: Massive hit in Japan at the end of last month, certainly headed to the west at some point.

Hikari no 4 Senshi Final Fantasy Gaiden: No western release date. Classic square goodness from what I've heard.

Blood of Bahamut: Under the radar for a while now after coming out last summer. Looks epic. I'm actually leaning toward this one.

So which game are you most interested in and why?

"You must defeat my Dragon Punch to stand a chance."
Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 09:40:09 AM »

I'm most interested in hearing about how Blood of Bahamut is. I've read some impressions of Final Fantasy Gaiden, I pretty much know that Dragon Quest VI will be good and I'm not interested in God Eater so it's a pretty simple choice. That and the screen shots of the game look great.
jj984jj

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 09:46:10 AM »

Hikari no 4 Senshi Final Fantasy Gaiden is the only game on the list I'd like another opinion on, I'm curious to hear another take on the no-targeting and limits they present to you.
WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 10:16:16 AM »

Umm ill say DQ 6 first, im just interested if the story may be good, since DQ5 was simply great, next choice would be blood of bahamut, FF gaiden looks like most of the old FF, so is not hard to expect what is to come, besides most ppl will buy it regardless of the reviews (wich will probably be good anyway), and god of eater already looks cool, and im a lover of dragon hunter series so this one is definitely a must have

I will beat you with my evil strategy of my evil 1.8 million IQ

add me to psn! the more the merrier!
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 11:50:49 AM »

Hikari no 4 Senshi Final Fantasy Gaiden: Seems like an oldschool style FF game, and considering that outside of FFL there's only like one or two Square games made prior to 2000 that I particularly like...

DQ6 is sort of interesting though I don't plan on getting it till I can get it for like, 20 dollars.

SMT: Strange Journey I'll buy as soon as it comes out. Because I am a consumer whore. Also the regular kind. Sucky suck, five dollah, yo. DS games ain't free.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 07:17:36 PM »

Tales of the Tempest? Tales of Innocence? Tales of Hearts?

But, on your list, I'm interested to see how Final Fantasy Gaiden ends up. I don't think it looks that good, but I'd like to read a review. Blood of Bahamut would be another one that I'd be interested in reading a review for. Dragon Quest VI is another, but I'll be buying that anyway.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 07:21:50 PM »

Between those four? I'd be fine with DQVI or FF Gaiden.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 09:17:41 PM »

Well, I'll point out that of those four, God Eater actually has a US release date.  D3 is supposed to launch it here later this year.

But the only one I'm actually curious as to the quality of is FF Gaiden.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 08:23:58 PM »

DQVI.

I'm worried about the removal of the monster recruiting mechanic. Also its pretty much the only one of those four games that will ever see the light of day out here, and screw God Eater.

Other games that I would like to see reviewed are Queen's Blade, Growlanser, SaGa 2, and Lufia 2.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 08:36:02 PM »

BOB
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 08:56:06 PM »

I'll stick up for Blood of Buhamet, simply because it's the one going in with the least amount of expectations. DQ is a remake, FFG is a spinoff, Blood of Buhamet is pretty much a new IP except for maybe a hint of Final Fantasy. Save the remake review for last, though, since the DS has TONS of great remakes already.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 12:23:11 AM »

From what I've heard Blood of Bahamut took Shadow of the Colossus and introduced parts farming (and other RPG grinding elements) to it.

The only thing that looked of interest in my opinion was the ability to strip Shiva.

Also 7th Dragon. I fail for not remembering this during my first post. :(

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
professor ganson

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 04:57:23 PM »

I'd love to see

Shining Force Feather
Growlanser
La Pucelle Tactics

Alfa System Forever
fates

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2010, 08:39:33 PM »

Don't be so sure about VI anymore... not even the DQ fanbase is. We just found out today that Square Enix handed DQ9 to Nintendo to publish in America. Also, the translation director of 4 and 5 is no longer with Square Enix as of November... topping those things off, the Zenithian Portal site (the site for all 3 games) hasn't been updated since before 5 was released here.

It ain't looking good.

And for FF Gaiden... I kinda lost interest in that when I heard you can't target enemies in it. Seems they took a page from Lunar Dragon Song.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 08:41:15 PM by fates » Logged
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 01:49:33 AM »

Blood of Bahamut

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: