Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 09:13:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327212 Posts in 13394 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  What feature in one/few RPGs should they all have?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: What feature in one/few RPGs should they all have?  (Read 14628 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2010, 08:41:28 PM »

Of course, part of the problem is that a lot of modern cutscenes really can't just have the VA excised, though at least subtitles should be an option in every game (screw RPGs, they're usually better about this).

Also, while I'm shying away from strictly gameplay since some ideas work better in some games than others, I would like it if every or near-every RPG with random encounters gave items and/or abilities to lower encounter rates. It's somewhat annoying in Lost Odyssey since a large chunk of the bonus stuff requires retreading old dungeons to find things that you couldn't see or do anything with before, and it's especially glaring when many of the more recent FFs have given such abilities. Ironically, it's also one of the more benign examples because while I get next to no EXP I DO get enough SP to level up several abilities I've been ignoring, and the SP you earn later on in the game isn't drastically higher than earlier on.
Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2010, 08:42:48 PM »

A synopsis feature (like in Xenosaga II and III) would be awesome.  Or at least keep a list of trackable objectives, like what Mana Khemia does with its Student Handbook feature.  It would definitely help to get back into the swing of things after having not played a game for a while.

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
jphussey

hussman12
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2010, 08:44:26 PM »

Remember the Ancient Cave in Lufia II?

Yeah, every game should have one of those...
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2010, 09:25:00 PM »

I wish all RPGs with random battles had what most of the wild arms have, specially WA 2 and 3, where you can avoid battles if the enemies are already too stupidly easy, you dont have to waste time fighting again with enemies that barely give you any exp, also you can even avoid battles spending the crystals if you are just too tired of fighting, perfect for games with lots of towns and you may need to backtrack sometimes.

I liked Earthbound's answer to this, where any fight against enemies significantly weaker then you was automatically won, and you got all the EXP, money, and loot that went along with the battle.  Made retreading ground not only painless, but actually rewarding to some degree.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2010, 10:32:39 PM »

Actually, I think all games need a way to get development times capped to two years.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Husk

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2010, 04:22:55 AM »

Auto-battle option. Glory of Heracles has it and it
is a godsend. You can define how each character behaves in battle beforehand, with focus on offense, defense or support etc.
It really speeds up battles that would otherwise drag on too long.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2010, 08:41:30 AM »

The game actually needs to listen to your settings, though, unlike GoH.  As in, my characters need to not cast spells that use all their MP when there's only one enemy left in critical HP, especially when they're set to "Don't use any MP!".
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2010, 10:14:09 AM »

Hence the beauty of FF12's Gambit system.  You can easily customize how you want party member AI to act by picking and choosing detailed options like "only use X% of MP" and whatnot.  Babysitting characters like in Star Ocean was never fun and with FF12, I knew I never had to babysit anyone because I spent a lot of time punching in how they should act in given situations.

I approve of this nonsense!
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2010, 10:42:16 AM »

Any game featuring random battles should be like Panzer Dragoon Saga, where you can drive monsters to the point of extinction in an area.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2010, 11:17:06 AM »

Hence the beauty of FF12's Gambit system.  You can easily customize how you want party member AI to act by picking and choosing detailed options like "only use X% of MP" and whatnot.  Babysitting characters like in Star Ocean was never fun and with FF12, I knew I never had to babysit anyone because I spent a lot of time punching in how they should act in given situations.

Yes, but then you have to spend too much time setting up gambits instead of, you know, just playing the game.

It's better when the programmers can just make competent AI molds like in most of the Tales games or let you auto-repeat actions like in Lunar/Persona 1 & 2.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2010, 01:32:29 PM »

I saw that as no different than spending hours working out my materia combinations for the best situations in FF7; working out the best personas for my party in P1, P2:IS, or P2:EP; or my combinations of units in many SRPGs.  Planning out my gambits was fun.  Now the license board, on the other hand, I had issues with because of its arbitrary nature.  I'm sure I'd have liked the zodiac system better. 

I approve of this nonsense!
citizenchris099

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2010, 03:40:13 PM »

maybe I'm taking crazy pills but I'd like to see more real time battle games incorporate something like FF12s gambit system. Granted I feel that at the end of the day the Gambit system as implemented in FF12 was flawed. Though it was a great idea that with tweaking could work great in other games.

Also every game (RPG or otherwise) should let you pause and or skip cutscens w/a summery. Can't tell you how many times my GF hollers at me to help w/something and I'm all "cant right now...cutscene." lol 

--
Chris

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Everything that happens will happen today
and nothing has changed, but nothing's the same
and every tomorrow could be yesterday
and everything that happens will happen today"

-David Byrne
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2010, 05:10:59 PM »

Also every game (RPG or otherwise) should let you pause and or skip cutscens w/a summery. Can't tell you how many times my GF hollers at me to help w/something and I'm all "cant right now...cutscene." lol  

This. And a summary every time you load your game. It helps so much.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Tridius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2010, 05:23:55 PM »

You know how if you die in any battle in SaGa/FFL2 you have the option of restarting that battle with the same amount of hit points and shit you had at the beginning of that battle? That's something that I think most RPGs could really benefit from.

That is a good idea but you do know you lose that option at almost near the end of the game due to fighting the boss that grants you that.

Though i really do not know how they handled that on the DS remake.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2010, 05:37:21 PM »

I totally dug the Gambits in FF12. I did spend a lot of time setting them up, but I felt like that was all part of the strategy. It's basically the same in Dragon Age with the tactics. I spend a lot of time setting them up, but it's oddly rewarding.
All rpgs should have auto-level up on the characters you don't use. heaven forbid the game forces you to use a character in the last level that you haven't touched since the beginning of the game.
Better yet, all games should have a Suikoden style exp system.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: