Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 08:40:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327552 Posts in 13410 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  What feature in one/few RPGs should they all have?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Print
Author Topic: What feature in one/few RPGs should they all have?  (Read 14654 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 25, 2010, 11:15:14 AM »

Or Persona 2, whenever you were near a boss's chamber the main character's "spidey sense" would tingle making the screen flash and/or the controller vibrate. 

Now we're back to features every RPG should have! Man, EO is known for its danger and how you have to be careful around FOEs, but it's always damn obvious if the Stratum boss was coming up, and even more dangerous FOEs.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: February 25, 2010, 11:40:38 AM »

Or Persona 2, whenever you were near a boss's chamber the main character's "spidey sense" would tingle making the screen flash and/or the controller vibrate. 

Now we're back to features every RPG should have! Man, EO is known for its danger and how you have to be careful around FOEs, but it's always damn obvious if the Stratum boss was coming up, and even more dangerous FOEs.

That's more of a feature that works because of the DS having two screens. I mean, it could work on a console, but you'd have to be bringing up an automap to see what's around you. ACtually, it could work the way Persona 3's auto map works since you can see the enemies as little dots on the map. Yeah, every RPG should have these features.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 25, 2010, 11:55:17 AM »

That's more of a feature that works because of the DS having two screens. I mean, it could work on a console, but you'd have to be bringing up an automap to see what's around you. ACtually, it could work the way Persona 3's auto map works since you can see the enemies as little dots on the map. Yeah, every RPG should have these features.

That's far from all of it though, and even an automap would be no guarantee. It's that the game has dialogue mentioning that a "powerful foe" lies in wait and that you can actually SEE them as a special black FOE. Obviously it can't work exactly like that in every game, but for the most part they can do similar. The save points could even be said to be a basic form of this, appearing when most useful (in the hands of a competent developer anyway).
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: February 25, 2010, 04:41:16 PM »

on the subject of saving...more rpg's need an autosave feature. i can't tell you how many times the autosave in growlanser 2 saved me from frustratingly having to load a save from hours ago.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: February 25, 2010, 07:10:12 PM »

every rpg should have new game + however i prefer it when levels are not carried over.

thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiisssssss
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: February 25, 2010, 07:16:14 PM »

I hate RPGs that make you repeat the same shitty mini-game twice.

Offenders:
Tales of Symphonia - sliding puzzle was okay the first time, but not the 8 times in the stupid tower.
Star Ocean 3 - the moving block thing was annoying every single time; light taps of it would render you unconscious
Wild Arms 3 - the optional milennium puzzles were another hassle; especially last second realizations that you messed it up
Few others Im forgetting

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: February 25, 2010, 07:17:18 PM »

I hate RPGs that make you play mini-games at all.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 25, 2010, 09:54:07 PM »

I like New Game +, but it needs to be done properly. Suikoden IV and V are pretty bad examples of this, I would think part of the fun would be finally upgrading everyone's weapons... but they're all reset to level 1 so that's mitigated, and you lose all equipped items (or was it vice versa?).
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: February 26, 2010, 12:27:50 AM »

Earthbound-style ending.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: February 26, 2010, 02:00:45 AM »

Being able to do the chicks you get in your party.

Okay, now for the serious answer: Being able to adjust the sound, music, and voice volume in games. Oh, and changing the dialogue of NPC's after certain intervals in the story.

Also, I know it's rather silly and less applicable in today's games, but I've always liked it when you could change the color of the dialogue box. Added a nice little personal touch to the game.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 02:02:49 AM by (Tunnels) » Logged
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: February 26, 2010, 02:18:53 AM »

I think RPG stories have a lack of...

Well, you know, they have their big WHAM moments. Aeris dying, hero freaks out over a horrible revelation, whatever. They do those and they do them pretty well, but...

They don't have those quieter moments so much, I guess. Earthbound had Lumine Hall, the coffee break... EArthbound was pretty good about it. And FFIX had the part where Vivi learns about the other black mages and how they stop moving... But...

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: February 26, 2010, 07:10:22 AM »

Tunnels- sounds to me like you need some Thousand Arms, P3 & 4, or some good eroge (ha ha.) In Thousand Arms, I thought it was a pity that Ratchet, one of the villains, was not date-able.  I would have liked to make Meis date her, just for shits and giggles. 

Mesh- Some of my most memorable Final Fantasy moments are the quieter, more human ones without the epic bombast.  

Take FFX for instance.  Sure there's that super cool bombastic scene where Tidus and co. crash the wedding, but I thought the most beautiful moment in the game was Tidus and Yuna at the moonlit lake in the forest.  And I did like the laughing scene.  Those were scenes Yuna could temporarily put down the weight of being a savior hope of the people and just be a teenage girl.  Another moment I liked was the one where Tidus narrated
Code:
"People die and Yuna dances," then reflects on what the others are doing, how they're reacting to the fallout.
 Not a moment of epic bombast, but a quiet, reflective one where the fate of a situation is felt.  Come to think of it, wow, FFX had a fair few memorable quiet moments.  

Or with FF8, after the wacky part of the ending, the quiet moments there were beautiful.  
Code:
Selphie with her video camera, Seifer, Fujin, and Raijin out fishing...
My favorite parts of that game were the quieter school ties/"teen beat" moments.  It's no secret the Zell's crush sidequest was my favorite part of the game.  And Squall himself was a very reflective protagonist so I liked his soliloquies.  It was the human factor among the epic bombast.  

EDIT: I'm with you that FF9 had some nice quietitude, like in that first "private action" where Garnet's trying to learn to act like a commoner and hesitates about freaking out about the bug that jumps into her hands like the villager did.  Or a "private action" in Lindblum where Zidane comments on a cheesy suit of armor, then  Steiner looks at that same armor and proclaims what a fine suit of armor it is.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 07:26:08 AM by Dincrest » Logged

I approve of this nonsense!
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: February 26, 2010, 12:19:14 PM »

Tunnels- sounds to me like you need some Thousand Arms, P3 & 4, or some good eroge (ha ha.) In Thousand Arms, I thought it was a pity that Ratchet, one of the villains, was not date-able.  I would have liked to make Meis date her, just for shits and giggles.  

I forgot about Thousand Arms! I used to own it, but traded it some time ago. It was actually a very good game. The dating-sim aspect of the game was hilarious.

It certainly fetches a pretty penny on ebay. The lowest price I saw was $40. Which, I suppose, isn't very expensive since a new next-gen game can cost as much as $60 and SE sells their new DS games for almost $40.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 12:23:29 PM by Fadedsun » Logged

"Oh, a hunter..."
RPGRocker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: February 26, 2010, 02:30:48 PM »

I thought one of the coolest features in any RPG was listening to NPCs talk "without talking to them" -- ie having text bubbles appear over them as you run by. This made towns in Xenosaga III much more lively and realistic.

left-handed playing -- YES. 7th Saga, Paladin's Quest... old Enix RPGs were awesome for this reason.
multiple battle themes -- SaGa Frontier II.
epilogue -- Lunar 2
automatically win battles w/ weak enemies -- ex: EarthBound, Breath of Fire V

save anywhere -- I like this feature for portable RPGs, but for console ones it doesn't bother me too much. I think limited save points actually gives the game a unique sort of challenge, ex: Breath of Fire V.

pausing/skipping cutscenes -- Pausing should be required. But I can't see skipping cutscenes being an option in all RPGs, since today there seems to be more and more Bioware-esque RPGs where the game actually logs your responses -- SMT Devil Survivor for one.

I hate to mention Breath of Fire V again, but Scenario Overlay (SOL) was such a great feature. Retaining all of your skills and stats is one thing (ala New Game +), but being awarded with new cutscenes and content each time you play is much cooler.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: February 26, 2010, 02:59:43 PM »

Yeah, that is a recent development I have been liking: NPCs that simply banter to themselves when you pass them by. Mass Effect 1/2 did this really well. Didn't FF12 do that as well?

I do notice a lack of quietude moments in modern games, but I also see a lack of really dramatic personal moments too. As much as I loved Mass Effect 2, I found it kind of strange that you would complete some huge sidequest with a character, and all you got was a short "thank you" dialog option afterward. Most of the personal sidequests in ME2 are fucking life-changing events. Some might scar the characters for a while... Tali and Jacob especially. Their reactions are WAY underplayed afterwards. The ending also felt anti-dramatic too. At one point Jacob says, "We live through this.. we get LOUD, we spill some drinks on the citidel". Now THAT I'd love to see. I was really letdown that nothing like that happened. "You just fuckin' saved the galaxy you wooden pricks, go party like Zell and Selphie!"

Not just ME though, I'm seeing a distinct lack of bombast when it comes to emotive moments. Modern RPGs love to have big action sequences, but the more free personal moments seem a bit stale by comparison.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: