Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2014, 02:27:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331972 Posts in 13597 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  What feature in one/few RPGs should they all have?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Print
Author Topic: What feature in one/few RPGs should they all have?  (Read 14705 times)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: February 26, 2010, 06:48:26 PM »

sounds to me like you need some Thousand Arms, P3 & 4, or some good eroge (ha ha.)

left-handed playing -- YES. 7th Saga, Paladin's Quest... old Enix RPGs were awesome for this reason.

>:(

I hate to mention Breath of Fire V again, but Scenario Overlay (SOL) was such a great feature. Retaining all of your skills and stats is one thing (ala New Game +), but being awarded with new cutscenes and content each time you play is much cooler.

Dragon Wars, an old PC RPG which was sort of Bards Tale 4, was sort of the first game to use this. At any time, if the game got too hard or if you got stuck or just wanted to try something new, you could start over and all your stats would be retained.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: February 27, 2010, 12:53:51 AM »

Speaking of quietude moments, the Grandia series does it best in my opinion.  Those nice moments when the characters are sitting around a campfire, bonding and joking with each other is a nice break from the adventure and just lets the characters be people.  Wild Arms 4 had that to an extent, when you could do mini conversations as an option at in-town save points.

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
Dincrest
Cleanup Crew
RPGFan Editor

Smile... they'll think you're up to something.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: February 27, 2010, 06:54:13 AM »

The dinner conversations in the Grandia games were cool, as were the overland conversations in many Tales games.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 08:35:54 AM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: February 27, 2010, 02:41:30 PM »

I think limited save points actually gives the game a unique sort of challenge, ex: Breath of Fire V.

It's odd that you mention this, because you COULD save BoF5 anywhere, it just wasn't a perma-save.  Which was actually the complain originally lodged, that few RPG's let you make quick saves like that.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: March 01, 2010, 02:36:30 AM »

A game shouldn't have 50 versions of the same spell with the only differences between them are cost and damage. Stick to one attack spell per element, increase its power every so often, and wha-la.

Or at the very least give later spells different functions at higher levels (for instance: level1 fire spells are weak and short range but can light things on fire, provided you can walk up to them, can let you see in the dark, and are incredibly cheap to use; level 2 spells can cross the screen in a straight line and are far more powerful and can even melt ice but you can't see in the dark with it, namely due to the presence of the level 1 spell, unless there's something light-able in the nearby vicinity; and the highest level spell rather than do any of that fills the screen with giant gently caress off explosions and fries anything in the general vicinity for a fuckton of magic).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: March 01, 2010, 09:23:34 PM »

tl;dr

If anyone mentioned this...the choice to turn on your kingdom/allies/group/homeland/ect and work/fight for the enemy. I don't know why, but it was very satisfying in
Code:
Growlanser II: The Sense of Justice
I would play every RPG twice if it had this feature.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: March 02, 2010, 10:32:28 AM »

and wha-la.

I'm sorry, but this is a huge pet peeve of mine.  It's Voila.

And the problem with having one single spell for an element becomes cost vs. power.  You'd have to keep arbitrarily raising the cost of the spell to keep up with it's increase in power, and all that leads to is a lessened use of magic overall.  Having, for example, the FF type of spell dispersion allows you to ahve weaker Fire spells to cast on weaker enemies, while you can save the higher-cost Firaga spells for bosses.

(And yes, I know in the average FF game you can just spam whatever the highest level spell is on every enemy, but perhaps THAT'S the function that needs fixing.)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: March 02, 2010, 02:44:34 PM »

and wha-la.

I'm sorry, but this is a huge pet peeve of mine.  It's Voila.

And the problem with having one single spell for an element becomes cost vs. power.  You'd have to keep arbitrarily raising the cost of the spell to keep up with it's increase in power, and all that leads to is a lessened use of magic overall.  Having, for example, the FF type of spell dispersion allows you to ahve weaker Fire spells to cast on weaker enemies, while you can save the higher-cost Firaga spells for bosses.

(And yes, I know in the average FF game you can just spam whatever the highest level spell is on every enemy, but perhaps THAT'S the function that needs fixing.)

First off, you try remembering how to spell Voila while fatigued due to a combination of stress, pain, and drugs, ya French Dastard.

Secondly, I should remind you that resource management tends to be a rather large issue in terms of balance given that whatever you could nuke can also be whacked over the head with whatever oversized pointy thing the character is carrying just as effectively, and at little to no cost as well. Besides, FF games are a terrible example given how the games tend to throw more healing items at you than you could shake a Buster Sword at (except 1, 3, & 8).

And finally, You don't need to increase the spell's cost at all. Just look at how the SRW games do it for their weapons. Merge that with something like FFI & III's spell level charges and you have something that's easier to balance than the typical nuke, nuke+, nuke++, oohlookshinynuke^_^+++++.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: March 03, 2010, 03:37:27 PM »

Motherfucking press-turn. Seriously.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: