Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 11:06:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335260 Posts in 13727 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  What feature in one/few RPGs should they all have?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: What feature in one/few RPGs should they all have?  (Read 14755 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: February 20, 2010, 02:08:23 PM »

I'm surprised no one brings this up given the pet peeves in certain games, and other games' making efforts to override them.
But hey, lets have some fun and see what we can do with this.

I'll start us off; I thought Star Ocean: The Last Hope was a shit game...but had something incredible to save players.  Not only could you skip cutscenes (wonderful if you die at a boss battle, or hate the voice acting in this game's case), but the player is also provided a summary of what they missed.  Absolutely, and simply, extraordinary.  All games should have this.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 02:12:53 PM »

Automatically regenerating MP as you walk the field. I find it really dumb that when grinding, a standard in almost any RPG, mage or magic-based characters eventually are useless. Dragon Quest always did a good job of this by making spells cost very little and giving mages tons of MP, but just the same, persona did the MP recovery thing pretty well, as did Golden Sun.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 02:19:25 PM »

Since I feel most any design decision works well for the appropriate game, I can only extend on your's Dice: Pause cutscenes along with being able to skip them with a summary provided. Full cutscene control would be nice too if doable, with rewinding and fastforwarding in case you wanted to catch something again or whatever. Similar can and has been done with text boxes, I believe Paper Mario let you view older dialog just by pressing up.
Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 02:35:58 PM »

Actually it was the Z button if we're talking about the first N64 one? But I also agree with being able to go back in dialogue.

Once while playing Lunar:SSSC two-player with a friend of mine, he hit part of the D-pad accidentally during some dialogue on the moon, skipping about six or seven pages of it by circularly rotating it. This caused a lot of frustration for me, as it was all the shit with Phacia in the egg thingy, where she's explaining their dormant minds in the sleep pods etc.

But yeah, also, only one button should advance the dialogue. The D pad and shoulder buttons should never do that unless it's Earthbound style one-handed play.

Speaking of, one-handed play is so fucking amazing.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 02:53:58 PM »

Automatically regenerating MP as you walk the field. I find it really dumb that when grinding, a standard in almost any RPG, mage or magic-based characters eventually are useless. Dragon Quest always did a good job of this by making spells cost very little and giving mages tons of MP, but just the same, persona did the MP recovery thing pretty well, as did Golden Sun.

This.  A thousand times this.  I hate dragging along a mage in certain games just because they can nuke the shit out of things better than anyone else when they need to, but other than that, they are useless because MP regen sucks and you just defend/pass every turn with them because you don't want to waste valuable MP.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Dizzy

死ぬがよい

awe.of.she.1@gmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 03:28:20 PM »

This.  A thousand times this.  I hate dragging along a mage in certain games just because they can nuke the shit out of things better than anyone else when they need to, but other than that, they are useless because MP regen sucks and you just defend/pass every turn with them because you don't want to waste valuable MP.

While that is true, I also kinda liked FF4's approach (I forget if FF6 did this also), where you can use certain weapons as items, where it does some sort of attacking effect (Like an ice rod casting ice attacks), but at the sametime, not consuming the item. I don't think it was weaker than the regular attack either, but at the same time, not overly powerful. I remember using that with Rydia and Tellah a lot, whenever I needed to conserve MP early game.

Also, +1 to cutscene and text control. That should be a FUCKING STANDARD from now on.

WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 03:48:18 PM »

I wish all RPGs with random battles had what most of the wild arms have, specially WA 2 and 3, where you can avoid battles if the enemies are already too stupidly easy, you dont have to waste time fighting again with enemies that barely give you any exp, also you can even avoid battles spending the crystals if you are just too tired of fighting, perfect for games with lots of towns and you may need to backtrack sometimes.

I will beat you with my evil strategy of my evil 1.8 million IQ

add me to psn! the more the merrier!
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 04:10:01 PM »

A synopsis feature like in Tales of Symphonia or a "talk" feature like in Phantasy Star 4 in case you forget what you were supposed to be doing. 

In RPGs that use a save point system, a quicksave addition would be nice. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 05:26:34 PM »

Especially in portable RPGs. I can see why it might be a secondary consideration in consoles (though it'd still be nice), but on handhelds it's not a good idea to rely on the sleep function, and outright stupid when the system DOESN'T have a sleep function.
Saviour

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 05:46:59 PM »

For me, more RPGs should incorporate a movie gallery. Xenosaga Episode III, Shadow Heart 2, and Valkyria Chronicles are perfect examples. My old PS1 and PS2 memory cards have seperate files just to view particular FMVs.

Finished RPG Count: 90
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2010, 06:19:03 PM »

I don't know if there are any specific GAMEPLAY features that should be universal, but stuff that's more interfacy, like journals and quest logs and skippable cutscenes with recaps should be nice. I think every game should also provide quicksave options if you can't save everywhere.

Personally I'd like to see the removal of all non-boss battles in a lot of games because generic encounters, random or not, are rarely interesting. Instead, put in a lot of meaningful, once-off minibosses and things.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2010, 06:21:04 PM »

Especially in portable RPGs. I can see why it might be a secondary consideration in consoles (though it'd still be nice), but on handhelds it's not a good idea to rely on the sleep function, and outright stupid when the system DOESN'T have a sleep function.

It should be in any RPG.  There are way too many games where you have to go 6 hour stretches in super dungeons to get to a save point.  This is completely unacceptable.  Since quick saves delete themselves, they leave in this added "challenge" but let people have lives.  Strange concept, I know. :P

Ditto on the skip cutscenes (I don't care how much time you spent on that crap, there are times I want to get past that!) and making mages useful.  Without fail they're almost never worth using in games because there aren't enough ways to recover MP economically to make them useful compared to all your DPS that end up wearing better armor and stuff too.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2010, 07:13:28 PM »

Proper field maps where you can actually control the player. Not stupid point and click ones.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2010, 07:20:07 PM »

You know how if you die in any battle in SaGa/FFL2 you have the option of restarting that battle with the same amount of hit points and shit you had at the beginning of that battle? That's something that I think most RPGs could really benefit from.
Draak

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2010, 07:27:01 PM »

The option to turn off voice acting would be a godsend. Shame only a few games allow you to do so.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: