Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 10:42:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334759 Posts in 13709 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  What on earth is Sega thinking...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: What on earth is Sega thinking...  (Read 6874 times)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: February 24, 2010, 03:08:06 PM »

As we all know, this March already has an unprecendented number of high-profile game releases, with some really big-hitters like Final Fantasy XIII and God of War III.  Sega has already decided, for some reason, to quietly publish two games on the exact same days of those releases (Yakuza 3 and Resonance of Fate on March 9 and March 16 respectively).  Publishing Resonance of Fate in particular just a week after FFXIII seems like a gigantic mistake given the overlap of the demographics who would be interested in the two games and yet the huge disparity in marketing and name recognition between the two.

So what could they possibly do to screw things up any more?  Apparently they weren't satisfied because they just announced that Infinite Space is *also* going to be released on March 16.  I mean, wow...sure it's a different platform, but it would be crazy to believe that there isn't some demographic overlap there.  Not only are they quietly publishing another niche RPG right after one of the biggest releases of the year, they are doing so on the same day as one of their own games.  They are competing with themselves!

A year ago I would never have imagined I would be complaining this much about having too many RPGs being released in a short period of time, but here we are.  Really, what are the marketing geniuses at Sega thinking?

Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 03:19:22 PM »

Even ignoring the new FF, SMT: Strange Journey & a new Pokemon come out the same month so the DS RPG space is completely packed.

Speaking of release dates, the new RPG I'm working on for XBox Live Indie Games - Breath of Death VII: The Beginning (http://zeboyd.com) - should be finished in mid-March. I'm torn about what to do. I'm definitely not going to release it the same week that FF13 comes out, but do you think the end of the next week is okay or is that still too soon? It's only $1 so I'm thinking it's not directly competiting against FF13 in the same way that a full priced retail game would be.

citizenchris099

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 03:22:07 PM »

Will the release schedule keep you from playing the games?

--
Chris

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Everything that happens will happen today
and nothing has changed, but nothing's the same
and every tomorrow could be yesterday
and everything that happens will happen today"

-David Byrne
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 03:25:03 PM »

Will the release schedule keep you from playing the games?

No, but what will happen is that first week sales will suck due to everyone playing FF13, and management will decide that the title was a failure.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 03:37:19 PM »

Yeah, that is very illogical. What would make sense is for them to release RoF about 6-8 weeks after FF13. Let FF13 whett everyone's appitite to play jRPGs, and immediately around the time most people are finished up and looking around for something else to play, give them RoF. Seriously, the best any new jRPG IP is going to do is coat tail Final Fantasy. If they're expecting to actually COMPETE against Final Fantasy, it's about as idiotic as Uwe Boll trying to compete with Indiana Jones. Why bother? You have an opportunity to let Final Fantasy make you sales. I don't understand if they're just completely arrogant beyond all recognition, or trying to prove to board members that jRPGs are a bad dirrection to take... which may be what's going on.

I can just see the writeup 3 years from now:

"Back in 2010, a little-known jRPG, Resonance of Fate, went completely under the radar because of it's similtaneous release with Final Fantasy XIII. Although the title sold poorly, it was well received by fans and garnered positive reviews from most major game critics."

This is NOT something any game company wants to see.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 03:41:20 PM »

Wait, FFXIII comes out this March? In America? That's... a pretty fast localization.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 03:45:17 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 03:55:06 PM »

Wait, FFXIII comes out this March? In America? That's... a pretty fast localization.

It's a pretty small game, dialogue-wise.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 04:12:17 PM »

Sega's living up to its reputation as a paragon of dummyheaded business decisions.  Makes us go "ugh" right?  And say, isn't Infinite Space coming out fairly soon too?  

Still, as I said in another thread, FF13 is guaranteed to become a Greatest Hits title eventually and be bought at a lower price point, so I'd go for RoF first since that has a chance of becoming more scarce.  Of course, how many consumers would take that kind of line of thought?  Few I'd imagine.  And as mentioned before, I'm reminded of Suiko II and Thousand Arms both being in the looming shadow of FF8 back in 1999.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 04:18:49 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
citizenchris099

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 04:40:17 PM »

this is a bit of a shot in the dark but I thought I'd bring it up.

there is a strategy in the film industry of releasing seemingly weaker films against stronger films in the hopes that said strong film will be huge sell out and people will go to the second teer film because hell they got dressed up and want to see a movie.

not sure if this theory is applicable to games like FF13 where I can all but guarantee anyone and there dog will be able to get there hands on a copy if they so chose.

--
Chris

-David Byrne
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 04:59:48 PM »

Maybe the long-time FF fans will dislike how linear and undialoguey it is and sell it back and buy Reflection of Fate instead.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

citizenchris099

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 05:12:13 PM »

I could be wrong but haven't FF games been relatively linear for a while now? Why is this suddenly becoming an issue?

--
Chris

-David Byrne
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 05:29:25 PM »

Reflection of Fate

LOL

You seriously didn't know that FFXIII will be released next month?

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 06:56:43 PM »

I could be wrong but haven't FF games been relatively linear for a while now? Why is this suddenly becoming an issue?

People on the internet just like to bitch.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2010, 07:02:04 PM »

People on the internet just like to bitch.

People also like to oversimplify while being condescending pricks.
Akira
The Renegade of this Atomic Age

jonnybfbi
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2010, 07:09:07 PM »

I mentioned in another thread about Sega's bone-headed content cuts with Yakuza 3:

http://kotaku.com/5478862/sega-you-are-once-again-making-a-giant-mistake

Cutting the hostess club management component, one of the most uproarious and culturally authentic elements in the game, is a travesty. Doing it out of the presumption that westerners wouldn't "get it," is worse, then making an excuse about wanting to get the game out at a certain time is even dumbererer. "We have to rush out an incomplete totally un-marketed game to compete against the year's two most anticipated releases."

It really seems like they want to fail. I just don't get it. It wouldn't bother me if we were talking about shitty games. But come on! Valkyria Chronicles? Infinite Space? Resonance of Fate and Yakuza 3? All completely solid games that have gotten the shaft with incomplete localizations (see RoF voice acting) zero advertising (VC, Infinite Space, and RoF both in Japan and in the west) and release date sabotage. Yakuza 3, Kenzan, and 4 ought to be GTA killers. Infinite Space murders Dragon Quest. RoF is too original to deserve being drowned out by FFXIII.

I swear it's like the company is run by a loser middle school kid with no self-esteem, head down thinking "aww shucks, no one likes our games anyway."

"You must defeat my Dragon Punch to stand a chance."
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: