Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2014, 02:27:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335188 Posts in 13725 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  What on earth is Sega thinking...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: What on earth is Sega thinking...  (Read 6882 times)
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2010, 07:18:54 PM »

And watch this, even Alpha Protocol will end up under-marketed and everything what with Sega publishing it.  Yeesh, why can't Sega wake up and smell the coffee regarding their decades of inept business decisions?  Akira, to add to your emo-kid analogy, s/he also does not seem to learn from his/her mistakes. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2010, 07:40:39 PM »

I mentioned in another thread about Sega's bone-headed content cuts with Yakuza 3:

http://kotaku.com/5478862/sega-you-are-once-again-making-a-giant-mistake

Cutting the hostess club management component, one of the most uproarious and culturally authentic elements in the game, is a travesty. Doing it out of the presumption that westerners wouldn't "get it," is worse, then making an excuse about wanting to get the game out at a certain time is even dumbererer. "We have to rush out an incomplete totally un-marketed game to compete against the year's two most anticipated releases."

It really seems like they want to fail. I just don't get it. It wouldn't bother me if we were talking about shitty games. But come on! Valkyria Chronicles? Infinite Space? Resonance of Fate and Yakuza 3? All completely solid games that have gotten the shaft with incomplete localizations (see RoF voice acting) zero advertising (VC, Infinite Space, and RoF both in Japan and in the west) and release date sabotage. Yakuza 3, Kenzan, and 4 ought to be GTA killers. Infinite Space murders Dragon Quest. RoF is too original to deserve being drowned out by FFXIII.

I swear it's like the company is run by a loser middle school kid with no self-esteem, head down thinking "aww shucks, no one likes our games anyway."

Between this and the forced "preorder" at Gamestop to get "free" DLC, I'm out.

I just can't comprehend Sega's marketing strategy at all.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 01:47:51 AM by Lard » Logged

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2010, 07:41:17 PM »

I could be wrong but haven't FF games been relatively linear for a while now? Why is this suddenly becoming an issue?

Well, the thing is, outside of FFX, they'd actually been getting a lot LESS linear since FFVI, whose back half was entirely non linear. Sure, FFVII-IX had linear main stories, but they also had a lot of sidequests, and similarly, points when the whole world opened up. FFXII was also fairly nonlinear in a sense, given that you could do all those side hunts and get into areas you weren't really supposed to.

Or it's Sega being Sega, which is definitely true.

FFXIII sounds like pre-FFVI levels of linear, only even moreso. That and it's apparently not story-text heavy, which would be offputting to series fans, I imagine.

http://ps3.kombo.com/article.php?artid=11619 I mean seriously. All the people that bitch about overworld maps being removed are going to be ripping out their internal organs, smashing them against their heads, and proclaiming themselves the lizard queen over this.

I don't know. Part of me just wants to see Square go away, for awhile at least anyway. Part of me wants to see an FF game of there's just bomb so that maybe they'll figure shit out and start making games reasonably. There WAS a time when Square sort of was a driving force in the genre, but now they're just growing more and more irrelevant every year and when they DO come up with something original, they just one-shot it like TWEWY and... I don't know.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2010, 08:34:27 PM »

What really annoys me is how people say FF13 is linear like that's a bad thing.

Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2010, 09:08:04 PM »

I could be wrong but haven't FF games been relatively linear for a while now? Why is this suddenly becoming an issue?

Yeah well, you are wrong.

Linear means zero deviation, and that control in areas is wrested from you. FFX was the first one to be linear in any way, and it wasn't like the entire game is like that. FF13 is no exception. That's like playing FF7 for an hour, never leaving Midgar and saying the entire game is linear.

If people are gonna throw that word around so much, you'd think they'd know what it fucking means.

But oh, wait... it isn't that people on the internet love to bitch. It's that they're fucking retarded.
WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2010, 09:27:44 PM »

This was decided a while ago though, maybe march is when the population in the US buy more, so they are taking their chances

I will beat you with my evil strategy of my evil 1.8 million IQ

add me to psn! the more the merrier!
Akira
The Renegade of this Atomic Age

jonnybfbi
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2010, 10:59:16 PM »

Oh, and I forgot to mention how they screwed the pooch on the PS3 port of Bayonetta.

I wonder if they hold a meeting for everyone of their good games and discuss new ways they can fuck it up....

"You must defeat my Dragon Punch to stand a chance."
Saviour

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2010, 12:07:31 AM »

These games weren't going to burn up the sales chart either way, though I do admit that Sega has no business sense.

What really annoys me is how people say FF13 is linear like that's a bad thing.

Agree completely.

Finished RPG Count: 90
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2010, 01:19:46 AM »

Wait what content are they taking out of that space game for the DS?

o/` I do not dream o/`

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2010, 08:37:56 AM »

I love it when people on the internet talk like they understand how business and economics works.

There was an uproar over at the Atlus forums about the fact that Strange Journey was releasing too close to FFXIII, and a lot of the SMT fanboys were up in arms that "their" precious game wouldn't sell well.  An Atlus employee eventually had to intervene and basically said that the only way anyone is going to avoid the ripples from FFXIII is to not release ANY RPG's within the same YEAR as an FF game.  The idea "Oh they should wait for like 6 months" was brought up too, and it was confirmed that idea was complete bullshit.  Business doesn't work that way.  FFXIII is going to completely fuck the market no matter what, and waiting isn't going to fix the problem.  As has been mentioned already, these games weren't going to light up the charts even precluding the presence of FF, and sitting on the game and waiting for the FFXIII ripple to pass is actually LOSING them money in the long run, due to Time Value of Money and a few other concepts I don't really feel like bringing up at the moment.

Basically, it doesn't matter for shit how big FFXIII is, it's actually FAR less profitable to sit on a completed game and not let it sell at all then to release it next to something big and take the hit to initial sales.

Although I will agree with Akira that cutting data and generally mucking shit up to RUSH a game out to compete with a big name game is pretty stupid, it's just not stupid for some of the reasons he's citing.

And man, I never thought taking all those Econ classes would have any impact on my life at all!  What do you know.
citizenchris099

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2010, 08:42:23 AM »

I swear it's like the company is run by a loser middle school kid with no self-esteem, head down thinking "aww shucks, no one likes our games anyway."

HAHAHAHA wow...good call.

It really is a shame...though I know what games I'll be buying regardless of their shoddy marketing.

--
Chris

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Everything that happens will happen today
and nothing has changed, but nothing's the same
and every tomorrow could be yesterday
and everything that happens will happen today"

-David Byrne
Akira

jonnybfbi
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2010, 09:14:17 AM »

FFXIII is going to completely fuck the market no matter what, and waiting isn't going to fix the problem.

Eric has a decent point here. FFXIII will distort the market for a while, but people are drastically overestimating the extent. Let's not forget that within a month of its release in Japan, the game's resale value was around 1500 yen ($17). The market was FLOODED with copies of FFXIII and tens of thousands of people sold it after finishing. Whether they were casuals who got caught up in the hype, disappointed series fans - whatever the case, by February FFXIII's displacement effect had faded. Even with Kingdom Hearts, Dragon Quest VI, and God Eater owning the market, Resonance of Fate managed a quarter million in total sales in Japan its first month, and that's in spite of Sega's screw ups.

It's fitting that SE recently compared the style of FFXIII to CoD (cinematic linear experience) since like Modern Warfare 2, it's hype will only distort the market for so long. Every publisher ran like a scared pup from Nov. 09 release dates, yet Dragon Age, Left 4 Dead, and Assassin's Creed all went toe-to-toe with Infinity Ward and easily broke seven figures. Once westerners start playing FFXIII and they see that it's really just another JRPG only prettier, the madness will fade. Certainly the whole year won't be in the shadow of FFXIII.

Savy marketing + no cut content + a quality localization + an April release date to catch the FFXIII / GoWIII burnout = Potential great success for Yakuza , Resonance, Infinite Space, or any combination of the three.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 11:56:05 AM by Akira » Logged

Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2010, 09:43:48 AM »

FFXIII is going to completely fuck the market no matter what, and waiting isn't going to fix the problem.

Eric has a decent point here. FFXIII will distort the market for a while, but people are drastically overestimating the extent. Let's not forget that within a month of its release in Japan, the game's resale value was around 1500 yen ($17).

Isn't that the case with most games there though? From what I've heard, Japan has a much bigger problem with people buying games at launch and then playing as fast as possible so they can try to sell them back before the price has dropped than the US does.

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2010, 09:56:28 AM »

The idea "Oh they should wait for like 6 months" was brought up too, and it was confirmed that idea was complete bullshit.

Yes, and also that pushes the game back six months, when I'd rather, you know, play it fucking now.

The bigger problem is probably that Atlus is aware that this shit happens where as Sega will probably misinterpret it as everyone hating their games.

That and Sega has a history of stupid business decisions so who knows.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Akira

jonnybfbi
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2010, 10:46:16 AM »

Isn't that the case with most games there though? From what I've heard, Japan has a much bigger problem with people buying games at launch and then playing as fast as possible so they can try to sell them back before the price has dropped than the US does.

Not to the extent that FFXIII was.

It is extremely unusual for such a big name game to lose 80% of its value in under thirty days. Granted FFXIII was a unique situation given the insane hype. SE wanted as huge a sales number as they could possibly create, so again, the market was flooded and everyone and their grandmother bought the game. No shock that in a matter of weeks lots of those folks didn't need it anymore.

My point is that I think people are over-stating the dampening effect FFXIII will have on other game sales. It IS dumb to release titles within the same couple of weeks, but beyond that the ripple effect is at least partly avoidable.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: