Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 02, 2015, 04:23:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
362994 Posts in 14733 Topics by 2285 Members
Latest Member: Moseng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Anime/Manga Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] Print
Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal  (Read 382147 times)
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3360 on: July 31, 2015, 02:49:26 PM »

I've been wanting to get into a new anime/manga series for a while now so I signed up for the free Crunchyroll service a few days back.

I've been intrigued by Food Wars, so I started there with the first episode. I found it funny, and the premise definitely seemed fresh. Unfortunately, while I know it wasn't as bad as many anime series out there, the pervertedness was a turn off to me, so I don't think I'll continue watching it.

Any suggestions for new series for me to watch? I tend to skew toward the shonen series. My favorites include Rurouni Kenshin, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Dragon Ball and DBZ, Naruto and Bleach before they became bloated behemoths, and Bakuman. I also really enjoyed the Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. series, though it is a bit of an atypical series for me. I don't like the shows that are super violent or contain dismemberment, which is why I'm not a big fan of Attack on Titan. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3361 on: July 31, 2015, 06:15:08 PM »

This season I'm watching the following:
- Dragon Ball Super
- Durarara!! X2
- Fate Kaleid Liner PRISMAILYA 2wei Herz!
- Gangsta
- Joukamachi no Dandelion
- Monster Musume no Iru Nichijou
- Non Non Biyori Repeat
- OverLord
- Prison School
- Rokka no Yuusha
- Working!!!

Other than Monster Musume, everything in there should be at the very least OK. For Durarara and Working! you'd probably want to check the 2 earlier seasons.

---

GATE episode 5 was actually good. So that's that.
Fate Kaleid Liner PRISMAILYA 2wei Herz! has gone full blown loli yuri.

DON'T JUDGE ME !!!
=(
ironmage
chaotic neutral observer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3362 on: July 31, 2015, 06:30:01 PM »

I've been wanting to get into a new anime/manga series for a while now so I signed up for the free Crunchyroll service a few days back.

I haven't found Crunchyroll to have a particularly strong shounen lineup.  Too many of their shounen series appear to be intended to sell merchandise to eight-year-olds, and I generally don't get past the first episode.

I'm enjoying Food Wars, but I can see how some aspects might be a turn-off.

So, random shounen-ish recommendations on Crunchyroll:

Haikyu:  High-school volleyball anime.  Quick pacing, sometimes very funny.

Yona of the Dawn:  Yeah, it's kinda girly, but I'm a sucker for medieval asian romances, and it's a decent action series in its own right.

Chihayafuru:  Somehow, the writing staff managed to produce high drama with a competitive card game.  I don't know why this series is awesome, it just is.

House of Five Leaves:  An unemployed ronin gets entangled in a kidnapping ring in medieval Japan.  The pacing is slow, but it has a distinctive style, and it avoids the genre cliches.  You won't find much action here, though.

In the giant robot genre, Aldnoah Zero and Argevollen are fairly good recent series, although both of them have some issues.

If you want to try some mahou shoujo, Puella Magi Madoka Magica is rather good.  But, don't judge it until you've watched three episodes.  It gets dark. The opening credits are a lie. If you like it, continue with Yuki Yuna is a Hero.

For currently airing series, I can provisionally recommend Charlotte (almost everything by P.A.Works is good), GATE (discussed above), Ushio and Tora (supernatural action, stylistically reminiscent of YuYu Hakusho), and Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers (light fantasy).

World Trigger is definitely a shounen series, but the pacing and production quality are rather poor.  But, it is scored by Kenji Kawai...

For the sake of completeness, Fairy Tail *is* on Crunchyroll, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it.  I only watch it late at night, when my brain is too tired to know better.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 06:33:10 PM by ironmage » Logged
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3363 on: August 01, 2015, 06:50:49 AM »

Any suggestions for new series for me to watch? I tend to skew toward the shonen series. My favorites include Rurouni Kenshin, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Dragon Ball and DBZ, Naruto and Bleach before they became bloated behemoths, and Bakuman. I also really enjoyed the Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. series, though it is a bit of an atypical series for me. I don't like the shows that are super violent or contain dismemberment, which is why I'm not a big fan of Attack on Titan. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
I will always recommend World Trigger to everyone. The anime is made by Toie, so it has bad production quality. However the manga it is based on is one of my favorites week to week in Shonen Jump. Despite the low production quality, the anime does manage to accurately reproduce the manga (minus a few rare bumps), so I think it is worth watching it...at least until the filler arc starts in a couple of months.
Dice
I'm fart and I'm smunny
AMG A GIRL

...AND STEVEN.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3364 on: Today at 03:25:31 AM »

Stein's;Gate

* As usual, I don't really have the time/energy to watch-watch shows, usually I sit and let them play in the background while I sometimes clue in (or finally pay full attention while I eat dinner or breakfast or something... or y'know, a really cool part is happening).  So I'll sadly be missing finer points/details.

= Despite the trope-i-ness of its cast, I surprisingly can't single out any one character to dislike; even more annoying ones like Mayuri (too too roo!) who's simply endlessly good-hearted, or Feris who has a nice sincere story behind her silly maid cafe job. *shrug*.  I'm confused about Ruka, whether s/he was closet gay or transgender or whatever is pretty up in the air; but I do find the (admittedly bizarre) subplot in good spirit about it without trying to cast shade on it.  Daru's thing got a bit old ("*insert pervy joke here*"), but his role in the story works, he proves smart (hell the whole cast has some 'golden nugget of knowledge' to contribute at some point), and his sort of "backstory" (or futurestory) is unique and sweet.

= On that note: Suzuha, you da real MVP.  (love her look too)

= I think I liked the dub better; it certainly was less ridiculous about the parts where the English cast is "speaking English" (since they're all Japanese).  But I do like that Mayuri seemed to be less airy (and air-headed by extension) and exert more confidence.  Kurisu's VA did a great job too at being earnest but sincere and Daru's laid back voice worked.  Okabe I'm a bit mixed on, it does dip to that 'mad scientist' cadence every so often and it's not always necessary. :P  
I might be bias since i generally prefer to watch dubs so I can multi-task watching with something else.

= Not sure whether or not I love or dislike the small cast.  It makes parts of the 'whodunit' mystery a bit more like a process of elimination (like when finding the identity of FB), but at least it doesn't introduce any last-minute players to change the game either.

= Which reminds me, I feel like elements of the 'big bads' weren't terribly well developed, or could have been better (the future of the main cast especially).  I respect the show keeps the events centered on the present, but I'd have loved more about the future and how these few events caused by the S;G cast create a whole lot of problems down the road (they were already so good at depicting the butterfly effect in simple text messages --- like wiping 'moe' off the map :P ).

= I really like Kurisu.  I'm not terribly convinced how a 'love story' came out of it, but I do like her as an excellent supporting character who had the answers through thick and thin.  She felt pretty realistic though, having ups and downs, mood swings and moments of clarity, she'd laugh, get sad, etc.  The over-arching plot of saving one girl and then flopping to save the other was a bit strange, I'd feel the possibility of setting off World War III somewhat a bigger issue and perhaps one that would have been more interesting to cover at times; but I honestly can't complain, overall I was pretty hooked with where the show was going and fun to 'journey through'.
...her dad's a fucking psycho though.

= The animation... was surprisingly average.  For a show where most of it is talking, anyways, I feel like it got 'derpy' a lot.  The effects were very well done at least.  And semi-related, YES I DO want a Nixie Tube clock. :D

= I do like you can tell the source material given how quickly some episodes kinda 'cut off'.  I.e.; it's not episodic at all, sometimes episodes ends are like "alright, guess that's all we got time for today".

Overall, I don't watch much anime but I did enjoy Steins;Gate very very much.
« Last Edit: Today at 03:27:09 AM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3365 on: Today at 10:24:57 AM »

Now you can watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImhfIv5NSqY
then the movie
Steins;Gate: Fuka Ryōiki no Déjà vu
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] Print 
« previous next »