Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 12:39:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340950 Posts in 13935 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  2010 Winter Olympics
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: 2010 Winter Olympics  (Read 2940 times)
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« on: February 27, 2010, 03:00:35 PM »

Yeah, they're almost over, but I'm surprised the topic wasn't created two weeks ago. Only thing I watched was women's figure skating because I'm Korean and I was ecstatic that Kim Yuna won, especially over Asada Mao. Also, being American, I'm glad we'll end up with more medals than the other countries. As long we have more than Canada.

Speaking of Canada, gonna watch (a very tiny bit) of the U.S./Canada men's hockey final.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 04:30:39 PM »

Kinda sad that Miki Ando didn't do better. She's related to me through a few cousins, and parts of the family were rooting for her. :)

Excited that Canada did this well. I think this is our best Winter Olympics showing yet.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 04:59:13 PM »

I fail to see how it's so important to 'have more medals than (country name here)', but whatever strokes your patriotic ego.

Though hey, if we're going to play that game, I AM liking the number of golds Canada has right now with two more chances (men's curling and hockey). Curling has grown on me. And the men's hockey team beating Russia that badly was a nice surprise. Tomorrow makes me excited and nervous.

Gotta love living in the host city. Vancouver has been all kinds of crazy. I went to two events, a medal ceremony and one of Russia's men's hockey games and went downtown. Never seen so much Canada gear in my life.

EDIT: Way to add to the gold count five minutes after my reply, Canada. Holy crap.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 05:18:14 PM by kyuusei » Logged

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 05:42:11 PM »

Usually I'm really into Olympics.  I almost never watch sports on television; unless it's le Tour de France, World Cup Soccer, or Olympics then I'm glued to the TV.  But these past couple of Olympics (Summer in Beijing and Winter in Vancouver) I haven't been watching all that much.  Maybe it's my mindset and all, but whatever.  India's representation was a total embarrassment.  USA... well, Apolo Ohno is a sexy beast.  Canada- Maelle Ricker's freaking gorgeous!  Winter Olympics crush of '10.

It's a World Cup year, though, so between that and le Tour de France I'll be completely glued to the TV this summer.    

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 06:33:37 PM »

The most entertaining aspect of Miki Ando's performance was her Egyptian costume (to me anyways.) I think the Canadian woman got a pity medal, as I thought Nagasu skated better.

I usually don't care about the Olympics at all (whether it's Summer or Winter Olympics,) but Kim Yuna is a rockstar to us, so I had to watch.
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 07:00:55 PM »

I have never watched the olympics.  I read the stories and stuff but thats about it.  Also I dont see anything wrong with wanting your country to get more gold medals than another.  I mean its not just some asshole american thing, im sure any countries fans would be the same.  Plus I mean there is a certain rivalry with Canada and America, seeing as how we are neighbors and all.  Im sure the majority of Canadians would love to see Canada get more golds than the USA, compared to other countries.  But then again thats just my opinion.  I honestly don't care, so long as the athletes perform respectfully and whatnot.  I mean its good if the Americans do get medals, no doubt, but I'm not gonna be sad if we don't.  Also Curling seems way overrated, everyone is like "CURLING!" and to me it seems kinda lame..haha.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 08:10:53 PM »

So I had absolutely no idea what Curling was until just a moment ago (yay Wikipedia).

... still not quite sure what it is to be honest. :P

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 08:45:15 PM »

I didn't watch a fucking second of it.  And I usually do watch the winter games, but I've been too busy to sit in front of the boob tube these past few weeks.

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 10:03:57 PM »

The most entertaining aspect of Miki Ando's performance was her Egyptian costume (to me anyways.) I think the Canadian woman got a pity medal, as I thought Nagasu skated better.

I usually don't care about the Olympics at all (whether it's Summer or Winter Olympics,) but Kim Yuna is a rockstar to us, so I had to watch.

Nagasu (that was the American right?) did skate better IMO, but the Canadian was still pretty good. Remember they each had a short program a couple night before and a free skate (I think? I suck at figure skating terms), but the American's mark from the first night was not that great so it kinda hurt her overall score. I thought her second night/free skate/whatever would get a better score than it did.

I don't care so much about having more medals than certain countries, no one beats the US in medal counts anyway. (Except Germany for like a day or two.) I just like to see my country do well, maybe better than the last winter games.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Hidoshi

Built This House

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 01:24:53 AM »

Yeah, they're almost over, but I'm surprised the topic wasn't created two weeks ago. Only thing I watched was women's figure skating because I'm Korean and I was ecstatic that Kim Yuna won, especially over Asada Mao. Also, being American, I'm glad we'll end up with more medals than the other countries. As long we have more than Canada.

Speaking of Canada, gonna watch (a very tiny bit) of the U.S./Canada men's hockey final.

Isn't having the most medals somewhat correlated to entering the most people? Yeah, it doesn't speak of excellence in a big way.

What I gather is, you have no other reason to watch the Olympics except to be a douchebag stereotype of the redneck American and go "hurr hurr we got more medals". And only care when someone is outstandingly amazing. In short, you're a sensationalistic asshat. Got it.

Also, allow me to flex my giant Canadian dick at you: We have the most GOLD medals. Y'know, the ones that count.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 04:37:16 AM »

/thread

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 11:26:45 AM »

Sarcasm is really hard to portray. I agree with about the Gold medals, as they're more important than the rest. I remember in the 2008 Summer Olympics, the U.S. had a few more medals than China, but China had way more gold.

--

Yeah, Rochette had 7 (not sure on the exact amount) more points than Nagasu after the short program, but I still think Nagasu overcame the 7 point difference in the free skate.

--

Anyway, the only medal I cared about was Kim Yuna getting the gold.

--

Sorry for being "sensationalistic" because I'm half-Korean and wanted a Korean to win gold in figure skating.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 11:30:16 AM by dalucifer0 » Logged
Hidoshi

Built This House

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2010, 11:46:51 AM »

Uh huh. I don't believe the sarcasm line, given your history of commentary in these here parts. :P
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2010, 01:54:27 PM »

Isn't having the most medals somewhat correlated to entering the most people? Yeah, it doesn't speak of excellence in a big way.

What I gather is, you have no other reason to watch the Olympics except to be a douchebag stereotype of the redneck American and go "hurr hurr we got more medals". And only care when someone is outstandingly amazing. In short, you're a sensationalistic asshat. Got it.

Also, allow me to flex my giant Canadian dick at you: We have the most GOLD medals. Y'know, the ones that count.

I think most medals is silly.  If anything, they should have done a weighted system where gold gets the most weight, then silver, etc.  Hell maybe even divide the weighted number by the number of people who entered.  I don't know. 

Anyways, I watched it here and there.  I enjoyed it.  Hockey was a LOT of fun to watch.  Sucks that Sweden lost so early.  Would have loved to see Canada vs Sweden instead of Slovakia.  Also enjoyed the various downhill events.  Was pretty cool to see America get a gold in 4man bobsled last night after a 60-some year dry-spell.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2010, 06:41:49 PM »

CANADA WINS GOLD IN HOCKEY!!!  VICTORY!!  TAKE THAT AMERICA!!! =)
(sorry, had to)

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: