Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 10:06:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334848 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Super RPGFan Game Journal IV - The New Warriors: The Revenge The Movie The Game
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 101 Print
Author Topic: Super RPGFan Game Journal IV - The New Warriors: The Revenge The Movie The Game  (Read 149157 times)
Adapheon
The original hobo with a shotgun

summersdemise@yahoo.com Kal+Imith
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #465 on: June 18, 2010, 11:11:38 AM »

Still playing Final Fantasy 13 and it is one of the least enjoyable experiences I've ever had. I enjoy the combat system although for the most part it is auto-pilot I like the dynamic of controlling the combat roles on the fly. I also like that dying means nothing, I just retry and hope nothing dumb happens like all 6 enemies attacking my leader at once. My main complaint comes because there's no exploration, I don't really care there's no towns but everywhere you go that's not a dungeon is a waste of time because you're just running in a straight line until you hit a cutscene. The game really has two things, dungeons and cutscenes and it has me hating the whole thing because of that. Sometimes I want a break from mindlessly going forward in an rpg by mindlessly going sideways and that option just isn't here.

Also playing Blue Dragon: Awakened Shadow, I probably won't beat it but I'll keep playing it until something else I want comes out.

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #466 on: June 18, 2010, 10:42:05 PM »

I've been dicking with Star Ocean 4 a bit over the past few days.  I'm not 100% sold on it yet, but the battle system seems fun enough.  However, that...thing that pops up with the item creation interface needs to be put to death.

I've also been giving Order of Ecclesia a little love as of late.  I generally do my handheld gaming when I'm in bed and waiting for sleepiness to hit, but I can't do that shit with this game; that fucking crab boss doesn't exactly lull me to sleep. :P

Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #467 on: June 19, 2010, 06:31:29 AM »

Finally finished The Dark Spire. The game is definitely not for casual gamers.

After reading some news about Rune Factory 3, I decided on starting a new game in Rune Factory 2. I plan to take my time in the first generation as I slightly rushed it my first playthrough.

I still have a small hope that Nicholas will pop out of nowhere, beat the crap out of Jake and live happily ever after with Cecilia.  
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 06:33:51 AM by Darilon » Logged

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #468 on: June 19, 2010, 01:52:40 PM »

FFVIII:

Code:
Before going to Trabia, I decided to check out Shumi Village. I did the little side-quest there, and got to know the Shumis a bit more. It was kind of neat, actually. I mean, you had this little fetch quest where you expected somekind of a reward, yet the Elder offered you nothing. I think it was a clever comment on gamer mentality, as you always expect a materialistic reward for a task.

The orphanage scene was awesome, and really brought characters closer. I didn't expect the Matron to be Edea, although now I'm even more interested as to what happened to her. I hope there's a final showdown between Seifer and Squall. It's difficult to put in words, but despite not being brought up in an orphanage, there was a sense of nostalgy in that scene, not to mention it was pretty much the first time where you could really feel the friendship between Squall & co. For some reason, Squall continues to be interesting. He's a bit different from your typical JRPG hero.

I will admit, I never really liked the Orphanage scene. To me it felt like the point where the game just gave it up and said "Everybody not named Squall and Riona GET OFF THE PLOT TRAIN NOW! You are all a bunch of third wheels at this point." Not like everyone else wasn't a 2D anime cliche to begin with but that cemented their uselessness in even my 12 year old mind when I hit that scene.

Also spoilers regarding final showdown with Seifer
Code:
if you want to actually fight him during your final confrontation then you better avoid getting Odin. If you get him before that fight then your final showdown with him will (or should) consist of you constantly drawing Aura's from him with maxed out Mag (since Mag influences draw rates/effectiveness) before Gilgamesh shows up to wreck his shit. Although, if you do this it will not be possible to get Gilgamesh.

Anyways I've started up some New Super Mario Bros. Wii yesterday. Already cleared everything out through the first midworld tower.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #469 on: June 19, 2010, 11:08:27 PM »

The orphanage scene isn't really deus ex machina. The scene bugs me for the reasons KillerArmoire mentioned, but it's not really deus ex machina because Cid had been manipulating the thing the entire time.

What IS cool about the scene is how much it makes cid look like some sort of twisted Captain Ahab figure. Actually, Cid's obsession with defeating Edea could've been a brilliant plot thread if they turned it into a tragic flaw of some sort and actually followed it, instead of like, just ignoring it. That's sort of FFVIII as a whole. A lot of really good sub plots that would've made great stories if they'd ever picked up one as a central, guiding theme.

The problem with using love as a theme in and of itself is that it's big and nebulous.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: June 20, 2010, 03:25:03 AM »

Played a ton of shit at E3, which is a given. :P

Am about 2.5 hours into Strange Journey, I actually love it a lot. :P More than Devil Survivor so far, even. Right now I'm exploring way deep at some basement level for Forma and finally died. But since my idiot demon decided to mutate Bufu into Mutudi, I wanted to restart anyway.

Played.... a serious amount of God of War III, but have to start over again. Had just gotten out of Hades. I love this game, but then again I'm told I'm violent... :P

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Mike
Administrator

SHOVEL JUSTICE!

MoonFlareDesign
View Profile WWW
« Reply #471 on: June 20, 2010, 03:26:16 AM »

Played.... a serious amount of God of War III, but have to start over again. Had just gotten out of Hades. I love this game, but then again I'm told I'm violent... :P

You are!

"Your sins lay heavy upon you, defiler of souls."
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: June 20, 2010, 03:32:10 AM »

You are!
I can't slap you over a message board.

Just pretend I slapped you. :P

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Mike
Administrator

SHOVEL JUSTICE!

MoonFlareDesign
View Profile WWW
« Reply #473 on: June 20, 2010, 03:34:54 AM »

Will do!

"Your sins lay heavy upon you, defiler of souls."
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: June 20, 2010, 03:53:29 AM »

You are!
I can't slap you over a message board.

Just pretend I slapped you. :P

All the casual observer needs to see.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #475 on: June 20, 2010, 03:03:36 PM »

trying to play games that aren't Deus Ex, but it's hard. Here's what I did today:

- Main thing was escaping MJ12 facility. Also I kept paul and some NSF guy named alive.
- At one point I hit a mech with a scrambler grenade and it went friendly for awhile and killed half a dozen MJ12 guys.
- I found a plasma gun. Its usefulness is questionable and I left it behind.
- Released the greasels. Regretted doing that.

I really wish System Shock 2 had been as good as this :( I know they're similar but in Deus Ex it just WORKS better. Also the Shifter mod really does add some nice things.

Weird to play this in the summer, though. The game feels so... perfectly autumnal.

Anyway, next step is getting out of UNATCO HQ which is another no-kill sort of thing.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #476 on: June 20, 2010, 09:43:57 PM »

I downloaded a ton of games over the weekend off LIVE and PSN so I've been playing those.
FFIX
Perfect Dark
Resident Evil 3
Castle Crashers
Trials HD
Phantasy Star II

I've mostly plalyed FFIX though..

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: June 21, 2010, 03:42:06 AM »

Restarted God of War III.. ledges suck.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #478 on: June 21, 2010, 03:49:42 AM »

I've replayed Portal 3x last week.

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Sketch
Sam I Am

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #479 on: June 21, 2010, 06:18:00 AM »

I've started my third and decidedly final attempt at Final Fantasy Tactics. I ended up stopping in the first chapter the first two times, but I've finally leaped that hurdle and made my way into chapter two, so hopefully I'll be able to stick it out and finish it this time around.

I'll tell you what, though: As cool as this game is from a presentation/atmospheric standpoint, the gameplay is the as dreadfully slow as they come. Grinding doesn't seem to do much of anything except waste time.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 101 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: