Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2014, 12:07:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331779 Posts in 13583 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Super RPGFan Game Journal IV - The New Warriors: The Revenge The Movie The Game
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 101 Print
Author Topic: Super RPGFan Game Journal IV - The New Warriors: The Revenge The Movie The Game  (Read 147479 times)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #705 on: August 31, 2010, 09:14:26 AM »

Started playing Suikoden 1. Up to like, Mt. Seifu or whatever the first dungeon is. This is is horribly lame so far.

Nostalgia is the only thing that can really save age.  If no nostalgia, it's a tough go.

See, that's the thing.

I've read about it. It sounds like there's depth in the rune system. Chrono Cross and SMT: N are my favorite games ever pretty much so 108 collectible characters has me thuh-rizzled. And there's also the associated castle building stuff, which I like too! On the other hand I get the feeling that it's going to be easy to the point where none of that really matters and the dungeon designs aren't inspiring a lot of confidence in me from what I'm seeing now and am trying to remember (I got Suikoden when I was 12 and got like halfway through it before my memory card erased my saves).

So I mean, I'm hopeful, I guess? But I also worry that it's just not going to work out or it'll end up like Grandia 2 where there's just long stretches of walking back and forth around a town talking to people to advance plot points without any meaningful user interaction.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #706 on: August 31, 2010, 09:24:59 AM »

Whats with all the people playing Suikoden games? I remember quite enjoying the first 2, liking the third well enough despite the odd battle system, skipping over 4, then getting bored by 5. I'd like to try Tierkris(sp?) someday, but it's on a handheld.

FFXIII - I keep looking for a way to customize the parties actions. Outside of paradigms, this isn't possible, is it? I liked the gambits from XII. I like being able to control when someone heals, attacks, etc. Vanille constantly curing when she doesn't need to is annoying. Then again, there's no MP, is there? This game is weird.
I'm digging it, though.
I suppose I'll take a break to play MOM, but I look forward to getting back to it.

Playing: TWD Season 2
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #707 on: August 31, 2010, 09:49:14 AM »

Started playing Suikoden 1. Up to like, Mt. Seifu or whatever the first dungeon is. This is is horribly lame so far.

Nostalgia is the only thing that can really save age.  If no nostalgia, it's a tough go.

Apparently this is not true, I just finished Suikoden 1 for the first time yesterday and I loved it. I admit it took a bit of effort to get into the swing of it, but eventually I couldn't put it down.

I will say though Mesh, at the point you are at now, I was thinking about giving it up because it didn't seem to be as charming as people made it out to be, eventually though I found its charm.

I'm now playing 2. I wish 3 came out over here, I'll just have to order 4 & 5 until I import a NTSC PS2 or something.

I could see that too; but like you said, it may take time to get into it.  Heck, some games are just like that in general.  Some games just start slow (Tales of the Abyss was a primo example).

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #708 on: August 31, 2010, 01:02:09 PM »

Picked Tales of Vesperia back up after many months of neglect, and managed to put in a good 4 or 5 hours. I don't remember the last time I put that much time into an RPG in one sitting, so that must be a good sign.

I actually LOL'ed at the cutscene where you dressed Carol up as a little girl to seduce the knight guard... and then I chose Carol again to dress up as a knight. Good stuff.

I'm now about to enter the tournament at the Coliseum-town.

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #709 on: August 31, 2010, 01:59:38 PM »

I'd totally agree with Tales of the Abyss starting slow, although I don't think I ever played far enough for it to start picking up the pace.

Mostly because the load times.

o/` I do not dream o/`

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #710 on: August 31, 2010, 02:17:43 PM »

Suikoden 3:  Man, why the fuck did I decide to do a Thomas chapter?  It's almost sapped my will to play.

I'll be shelving it for a bit anyway after the new Metroid shows up on my doorstep later this afternoon.  I hope it's fun, but I really have a bad feeling about this one.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #711 on: August 31, 2010, 09:07:45 PM »

Beat Dragon Quest VIII.  Then I did the optional dungeon and beat it again for the true ending.  Good stuff, the Dragons you fight post-game were an awesome challenge.  I decided to see how many I could beat starting at level 40.  I ended up beating all of them, in the process leveling up to 42.  Got all the extra rewards and super items I cared for, pretty much 100% completed the game aside from ridiculous stuff like making all the alchemy items.  I attempted to beat the last fight vs all 7 dragons in succession but it was no go, I ended up dying to the 3rd or 4th dragon.  I'm pretty sure I could accomplish this feat at my current level of 42, but it would require more time/luck/patience then I care to give it.  Pretty satisfied beating them all at 42, since most do it at 65.  Alas, awesome game.  Easily a 9/10 and one of the top 5 RPG's for the PS2.  I love Level 5.
How many Timbres of Tension and Sage's Stones do you have?
I have one of each.  I tried to farm the magical beast hide required for another timbrel, but after about 15 minutes of fighting orc king's with no luck I said screw it.  I put enough time into the game, hah.  I didn't see the need for another sage stone since I had full heal and omni heal on my main and Angelo as well.  Although I'm sure there's some sort of strategy involving spamming Timbrel's and Sage Stone's and using Miracle Slash or something to heal as well.

Started up Magnacarta 2. Enjoying it thus far.

Only the MC gets Omniheal and only Angelo gets Multiheal. The advantages to using Sage's Stones are that a) anyone can use them provided one of them is in their inventory, b) their effects are boosted by tension, c) they, like all other items, do not reset your tension when used, and d) they don't use up large amounts of MP per use regardless if you maxed out Courage or not.

The best way to steal in DQVIII is have Yangus equip either the Hades Helm or Skull Helm (depending on which one knocks down all attacks to 1 HP) and have him spam Stainless Steal Scythe (or whatever its called) until it lands. Unfortunately, stealing in this game is very unreliable, so its probably better just to outright kill them until they drop it.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #712 on: September 01, 2010, 02:17:22 PM »

Picked up Other M yesterday, and played for about an hour and a half. I just started Sector 1.
I actually haven't minded the cinema scenes. Even Samus' voice doesn't bother me like it seems to have done for others.
So far, the graphics are kinda weak, and nowhere near the Prime games. The music is almost non-existent. Hopefully, this changes the further I get in.
The control scheme is a little wonky, but pretty easy to get used to. Samus herself controls super smooth, and moves around a lot like she did in the old games. Actually, the game itself is very much a nostalgia trip. The look of Samus, the menus, etc.
I do not like the inclusion of the federation troops in the game. Adam Malkovich is particularly annoying. Samus taking orders from someone else just seems wrong.
The one boss battle was cool, and the general battles are well done. I AM liking it so far. Just need to play a bit more.

Playing: TWD Season 2
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #713 on: September 01, 2010, 04:03:13 PM »

Metroid: Other M and Dead Rising: Case Zero

I'm enjoying them both a great deal.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #714 on: September 01, 2010, 10:50:01 PM »

I've been playing Metroid:  Other M off and on since yesterday afternoon.  I liked this game a lot better eight years ago, when it was called Metroid Fusion.  I don't dig this game's approach to equipment "upgrades"; I swear to God, if Samus flicks a fucking switch to turn on super missiles at some point after I've already passed three dozen spots to use them, I'm putting this game right back in its case.

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #715 on: September 02, 2010, 03:47:56 AM »

A bit further in Suik but I really have to ask -- does it *ever* get more involved than just mashing "Free Will" to win every battle? Because I'm not really even taking damage from random encounters yet, so...

Earthbound - Got to Fourside, but everyone but ness was dead so I revived them and went back to EXPLorate the deserts.

o/` I do not dream o/`

DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #716 on: September 02, 2010, 08:34:50 AM »

A bit further in Suik but I really have to ask -- does it *ever* get more involved than just mashing "Free Will" to win every battle? Because I'm not really even taking damage from random encounters yet, so...

Not really, it's a very easy game. Make sure you get a Champion Rune as soon as possible, that'll prevent encounters with enemies weaker than you so you can avoid all the easiest battles.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #717 on: September 02, 2010, 09:07:42 AM »

Did anyone here try the shank demo? The game is pretty cool.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #718 on: September 02, 2010, 09:13:08 AM »

Earthbound - Got to Fourside, but everyone but ness was dead so I revived them and went back to EXPLorate the deserts.

All the Suikoden games I've ever played are extremely easy. Suikoden 1 is also very short. I beat it with all 108 characters in about 12 hours back in the day, I'm sure you can go much quicker than that even.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #719 on: September 02, 2010, 09:49:12 AM »

A couple of bosses you'll want to use some Water magic, other than that though, your basic attack is strong enough to see  you through. Playing Suikoden II and the fights are defintely more involved, but still not difficult. I don't mind that though, some games challenge me, some don't. That's fine with me, all I care about is whether or not i'm entertained.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 101 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: