Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 26, 2014, 03:23:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327451 Posts in 13407 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Super RPGFan Game Journal IV - The New Warriors: The Revenge The Movie The Game
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 101 Print
Author Topic: Super RPGFan Game Journal IV - The New Warriors: The Revenge The Movie The Game  (Read 144570 times)
sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #765 on: September 24, 2010, 11:41:37 AM »

Just finished Mario Galaxy 2. Nowhere near as good as the first. Well, maybe it is... but the charm has just worn off, its just more of exactly the same. Yes, done really well, but it's still the same stuff.

Well, for me "more of the same" was exactly what I wanted, so I'm a happy camper. Though I feel they did add a few gameplay elements to spice things up a little bit like Yoshi and a couple power-ups. I'm happy though that they stuck with the same formula. It works really well.

Tales of Vesperia: Making my way through the desert. Kinda forcing myself to play it.

Rhythm Heaven: So much fun but I've decided I'm not gonna try to get Perfect rankings for every mini-game as that would be an exercise in frustration. Superbs are sufficient.

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #766 on: September 25, 2010, 05:00:18 PM »

Discovered a game that I'd never heard of called "Age of Wonders 2", in Hugh's pile of PC games. I thought it was like an Age of Empires spin-off, so I popped it in. Pleasently surprised to find it's a empire-building RPG Heroes of Might and Magic type affair. Though to be honest, I'm enjoying this more than any HoMM game i've ever played.

It's pretty addicting.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #767 on: September 25, 2010, 05:33:25 PM »

haha wtf bro I just started playing AoW2 last night since the whole series just got release on GOG and Impulse and I'm trying to see if I like it enough to get AoW1 and AoW: Shadow Magic.

But yeah it is pretty neat. STill on mission one, honestly, and I Fucked It Up the first time cause I got on the boat instead of taking over cinder.

HoMM has some clear advantages. Better map interaction for one thing, and hero skills are more interesting. On the other hand, AoW2's combat system is a lot better, with units having lots of unique skills and HOLY SHIT BALLISTICS. Also towns are more interesting and you actually have upkeep to worry about. I consider HoMM3's lack of upkeep costs sort of a flaw just since they compound you relying more on NUMBERS than unit abilities.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #768 on: September 25, 2010, 05:54:27 PM »

@Mesh: Haha, you and I seem linked in gaming destiny somehow. Though, I just noticed when I finished playing earlier that what I'm playing is Shadow Magic, the one after it. I've only finished the first map (It only took about, 2 fricken days, man these maps are huge) so I'm debating with myself whether or not to stop now, and go back and play Wizards Throne.

Thanks for letting me know about the re-release on GOG, I never knew. 

You are right about the combat being better, i think that's what turned me off a lot of HoMM games.

I'm having a lot of fun just reading the descriptions for the units. x.x

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #769 on: September 25, 2010, 06:39:11 PM »

Various people say AoW1 is the best but that might just be fandom wank or something. It DOES probably have a better soundtrack, considering who did it, but whatever.

o/` I do not dream o/`

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #770 on: September 25, 2010, 07:56:12 PM »

My son and I were both playing Metroid games this afternoon. I'm still playing Other M, and he's playing Zero Mission.
Zero Mission has better tunes than MOM. Not cool.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 10:11:40 AM by GrimReality » Logged

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #771 on: September 26, 2010, 12:53:50 AM »

Speaking of all this Metroid, I've decided to fire up CORRUP~TION!!! the other day. Yesterday I decided to get iced by the ice guy. Mr Freeze or whatever his name is probably had that got to kill him with this one unspecified attack that Prime 1's Meta Ridley had since he had less than a pixel of health left when he Ice Creamed me. Anyways I ended up getting sent back quite a ways since I didn't get the Shriekbats or whatever flavor of the planet called 'em the first two times and they refuse to respawn.

DQIX: Salute your Sir Sanguses.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #772 on: September 27, 2010, 12:21:56 AM »

Age of Wonders 2

Still on the first mission. TEEHEE. Anyway, had some huge siege battle thing where I was the defender. I managed to only lose one unit. I like how the units level up, btw, and I'm glad that leveling them up isn't really ESSENTIAL, as well. Or at least, it isn't so far. I doubt it'll end up getting grindy like Disciples 2 could get.

One thing I DO wonder about is whether or not ranged units are sort of going to be overly dominant. especially during sieges. In the battle I just did it was like, I basically parked my dudes along the wall and just kept firing. Stone walls + towers = great range

o/` I do not dream o/`

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #773 on: September 27, 2010, 12:31:34 AM »

@Mesh: This game is so addicting. X.x

I'm on the second mission of my campaign in Shadow Magic (Day 102020021233344876xx), and it's somehow even bigger than the last map, which took me days to complete. So yeah, I like this game a lot.

From what I've got from the game so far, non-hero units level up twice, first to Veteran, and then to Elite. Leveling up increases all their stats and sometimes gives them a new ability. It's definitely not essential though. I usually have my veteran/elites traveling with a hero, as they are doing the most assaults.

Leveling for the hero is pretty important, though you'll never have to grind for it, just killing units normally gets you more than enough. As for defending, ranged units firing from beyond the walls is awesome, but flyers are also great to have in that situation because they fly over the walls, attack and then come back into safety when they get too beat up.

The hardest battles for me have been trying to attack magical vaults and ruins, and magical traps get set off and they fire spells are my units. Argh, my hero has died more than once like that.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #774 on: September 28, 2010, 03:56:45 PM »

I'm on the last generation of DQV. I've been enjoying this game a lot, but I'm rushing through so I can get to playing DQIX or Etrian Odyssey 3. I haven't decided yet. I made it the last generation in 15 hours. I didn't think it would be so short. From what I saw on the FAQ, the last chapter can be quite lengthy if you want it to be. I'm not going to try and waste any time on extras.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #775 on: September 28, 2010, 06:21:22 PM »

Etiran Odyssey 3.

"Etrian Odyssey III only has one difficulty, and that difficulty is motherfucker."

http://www.penny-arcade.com/2010/9/27/

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #776 on: September 28, 2010, 09:36:32 PM »

I'm still on the first mission in AoW2's campaign and it's like... I just had to loot a town because otherwise the enemy would've gotten in which is worse than just losing it, and I managed to take something from them, and I was GOING to loot it but it's netting me some decent money. I might rebuild the other town later anyway, or some of the other ones, now that I've sort of got this current... junction dealt with. My army is fucked up and tiny right now though and I need more proper siege weapons.

Basically I need to establish a sort of impenetrable front and then work on building stuff up behind it.

Also yeah the maps are long. So like part of me wants AoW1 and AoW: SM, but it's like, fuck do I even HAVE that much time?

You might like Lords of Magic: Special Edition too, btw, although it's less polished and more real-time, in terms of the battles.

---edit---

Finally finished mission 1. Yesssssssssss.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 03:21:20 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not dream o/`

MindCandy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #777 on: October 01, 2010, 11:40:44 PM »

Xbox - Resonance of Fate (would you believe 108 hrs and counting?!)
Wii - Metroid Prime (from the trilogy set)
PSP - nothing, but I have Disgea on deck.
DS - Shin Mega Ten: Devil Survivor

Currently playing:
Xbox 360 - NIER
Wii - Metroid Prime 2: Echos (trilogy version)
PSP - Disgaea
DS - SMT: Devil Survivor
sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #778 on: October 03, 2010, 02:20:22 PM »

Played a good chunk of Vesperia yesterday, plan on playing some more today. I just got my airship thing and omg I feel like I haven't visited even 40% of the world map. This game seems massive.

I also downloaded FF7 off of PSN and played a little of it. I've forgotten how awesome the battle music is.

Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #779 on: October 03, 2010, 08:27:02 PM »

I haven't been around here recently because I've been in gaming heaven. Shit has been heating up for the PSP and I've been digging into some classic games too.

I beat Ys 7 a couple of weeks ago. Fun stuff. Looking forward to other Ys games.

I'm completely sucked into Phantasy Star Portable 2. I'm a Cast Ranger named Moe. If anyone sees me online, say hello.

I've also been playing Dominions 3. Cool game. Fans of fantasy war games should definitely check this out. It will run on just about any PC/Mac.

I also got the Dungeons & Dragons Collection for Saturn (ports of Capcom's 2 D&D arcade games). I need to get around to playing it.

Sooner or later, when I get some time, I'll be sure to get Cladun and Valkyria Chronicles 2. Then there's Blood Bowl for PSP which I bough (I love the board game) and haven't even fired up. It's a good time to be gaming.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 101 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: