Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2014, 08:04:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327941 Posts in 13428 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  FFXIII OST is blowing my mind...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: FFXIII OST is blowing my mind...  (Read 1808 times)
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« on: March 03, 2010, 03:28:59 AM »

Sorry, had to post this. But my OST came in yesterday, and since then, it's just been completely blowing me away. I'm about in the middle of disc 2 and absolutely bewildered by everything I hear. It's not just that it's good, but that it catches me off guard so much. Game and Film scores always tend to play it safe at some level, not daring to shift gears too drastically in case the viewer isn't able to keep up. Hamouzu's treatment of the material pretty much flies in the face of all film scoring to such a degree that for a time, when I had it on in the car, my mind just forgot that it was a video game soundtrack.

To say that it is remenicient of a lot of John Adams work is not difficult, yet to say that probably doesn't give it its due credit. It's not simply "John Adams doing a videogame soundtrack", and it's not "John Adams plus Maurice Ravel plus Aphex Twin", though those influences are certainly evident. it's completely unabashedly it's own thing.

It's everything I ever dreamed for in a music score: dramatic music that is allowed to rise and fall, build and crescendo, though not afraid to suddenly pull back and be subtle. It's got semi-atonal flourishes, unique electronics thrown into the middle of symphonic underscores, complex meters all over the place. It's a wild ride, yet all the while, incredibly memorable and beautiful.

It's seriously making FFVIIIs score (my favorite to date) look incredibly childish in comparison. Similarly, my favorite track from FFX was "Assault/Attack", and practically every piece in FFXIIIs soundtrack outdoes that. When I heard Hamauzu was doing the score, I knew it would be good, but I had no idea that it would be THIS good. Can't wait to play the game, I'm counting the days.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 10:50:11 AM »

Glad to hear that. I'll be listening to the cd that comes with the collector's edition of the game and based on that and what I hear in the game itself I might buy the whole thing. If it's better than FFVIII it might actually be my favorite ost ever.

On a different note (see what I did there?) the persona music live dvd is freakin' amazing. A must have if you like the music of the games.

Also, shouldn't this be in the music forum?

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 10:17:33 AM »

I still haven't heard anything from it. I want everything about the game to be fresh so I'm in a total blackout regarding FFXIII. I hear that the music IS awesome though.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 07:38:10 PM »

I share all of Prime Mover's sentiments. As my review suggests. This is a mighty fine soundtrack, so different from everything else that's out there.

(minus Kimi ga irukara...)

Ithunn

Hmph.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 01:09:49 PM »

Mmmm. FFVIII and FFXIII have significantly different sounds, which I believe caters to specific purposes. I prefer to not compare soundtracks of two different composers - at least which is better - because it ignores the fact that they are . . . two different composers. Final Fantasy VIII's OST was wonderful and is still a pleasure to listen to today. FFXIII's OST is great, but in terms of listening to Hamauzu's stuff, I'm apparently still clinging to his works not dominated by live orchestra. Not able to explain myself musically (terms) moreso than thematically, it is still representative of his known inclination to combine various unexpected sounds into wonderful tracks. I DO love people hyping it, however. This is probably because they're getting more exposure to Hamauzu since it's a FF game compared to an SF/SH/DoC less "popular," game. He does deserve the recognition amidst the more accepted composers.

OST is not on my computer anymore because I had to reformat my HD. I'll put it back on once I remember to listen to it again.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 02:13:01 PM »

I'll be the first to admit that Hamauzu's music may be "musician's music" in that musicians may take to it better than non-musicians. But as a musician, this is basically the first OST I've ever heard that could possibly fall into this category, so that makes me very happy. In any case, most reviewers seem to be eating it up, so it does seem to have a lot of broad appeal. As for comparing it to FFVIII, I'm simply doing that because I'm comparing Hamauzu's work to what is often considered Uematsu's best work, not because there are any inherent similarities... there really aren't.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Ithunn

Hmph.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 01:01:06 AM »

I get it, but compare it to Hamauzu's best work too. Non-FF related at least. Subjective, but still. Good stuff. March of the Dreadnoughts has officially been whored out as my ringtone.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 12:32:31 AM »

I get it, but compare it to Hamauzu's best work too. Non-FF related at least. Subjective, but still. Good stuff. March of the Dreadnoughts has officially been whored out as my ringtone.

That whole pile of tracks from 2-12 to the end of disc 2 is made of win.

Raziel

Megaten Fan

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 02:01:50 AM »

I'll be the first to admit that Hamauzu's music may be "musician's music" in that musicians may take to it better than non-musicians. But as a musician, this is basically the first OST I've ever heard that could possibly fall into this category, so that makes me very happy. In any case, most reviewers seem to be eating it up, so it does seem to have a lot of broad appeal. As for comparing it to FFVIII, I'm simply doing that because I'm comparing Hamauzu's work to what is often considered Uematsu's best work, not because there are any inherent similarities... there really aren't.

FFVIII isn't really considered his best work, really. That would be Final Fantasy VI, actually.

I should give the album a listen as well. I'm not familiar with Hamauzu, but this one looks pretty interesting. I doubt it will blow my mind, but I do hope it will give a good impression.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 02:16:51 AM »

Some of you may enjoy this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPENFi0EXTE
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: