Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2014, 06:50:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332945 Posts in 13642 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  "Japan: It's not funny anymore"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: "Japan: It's not funny anymore"  (Read 11786 times)
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2010, 04:08:06 AM »

Actually, I have to agree with the main points the guy makes. He takes entirely too long to get to the crux of the matter, but what he's saying is something that I've heard of before, a lot.

A lot of the people from the west have intensely misconcieved beliefs about Asia - not just Japan, the entirety of the continent. I find it kind of funny that people who have never been to Japan are saying this guy - who has lived in Japan for years - has no idea what he's talking about.

If I compare reports, I have six friends I trust who have lived there, are living there, or have at least visited at length. One just got back from his honeymoon. All of them have comparatively good experiences when pictured against this singular, hate-filled man who quite clearly has an agenda.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2010, 06:57:30 AM »

I don't think he 'clearly has an agenda,' far from it. He's putting all his experiences out there, and from what I've heard from many other people who have lived in Japan, it's the same. Perhaps our samples are flawed.

Dizzy

死ぬがよい

awe.of.she.1@gmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2010, 07:50:59 AM »

I find it kind of funny that people who have never been to Japan are saying this guy - who has lived in Japan for years - has no idea what he's talking about.
I think I should just clarify that when I said that, I was only talking about the comedy section of his rant. It's like he only watched one or two duos, then automatically assumed all Japanese comedy was like that. 'Cause I know for a fact that Downtown is nothing like what he described. :P I mean, whether he finds it funny or not is fine, but I think comedy is too broad to be generalized by his one or two examples.

Also, while I do think the rant is somewhat informative in certain areas, I think the rant is really just culture shock hitting him 5 years too late. :P
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 08:11:55 AM by Dizzy » Logged

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2010, 09:28:08 AM »

A lot of the people from the west have intensely misconcieved beliefs about Asia - not just Japan, the entirety of the continent. I find it kind of funny that people who have never been to Japan are saying this guy - who has lived in Japan for years - has no idea what he's talking about.

It's not so much what's being said but how it's being said and who's saying it.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2010, 01:50:18 PM »

Ooo, I love seeing an angry RPGfan. 
I'm glad someone brought up the fact that the guy has been living there for a number of years.  He's not merely stating that he went on a trip and had a bad time; he says he's been there for quite some time.

Yeah the article is hate-ridden with a lot of squabbling, but I still enjoyed reading it.  Quite frankly, I'm not much of a fan of good reviews; especially on their own.  I love hearing the one shit-talker say his peace; you get a grander idea and basis of what something is about.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2010, 09:58:07 PM »

He's right about the smoking thing - everything else is pretty much whining that the culture isn't adjusting to him, rather than him adjusting to the culture.

Another "Lost In Translation" bitchy wanker who wants everything to be exactly what he's used to.

If he doesn't like it, leave.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2010, 09:22:49 AM »

This article screams of stereotypical video game nerd that has no social skills.
Dincrest
Cleanup Crew
RPGFan Editor

Smile... they'll think you're up to something.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2010, 10:55:09 AM »

Whoa, tell us how you *really* feel.  

if I move someplace new, I like it for a while, until finally I can't stand it.

Newsflash- the honeymoon period only lasts so long.  Yeah, the rant sounds like someone going through the bitterest divorce picking apart every little thing that is/was wrong with the other person and the relationship and announcing to everyone in the world how much the other party sucks.  It's all Japan's fault?  Puh-lease.  Cry me a goddamn river... then go drown in it.  
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 11:02:33 AM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2010, 01:16:59 PM »

Tim has a knack for getting people riled up.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2010, 04:52:04 PM »

You know, I see some of his points, but it really seems like he's /looking/ for all the bad instead of it finding him. Also honestly probably being a staunch vegetarian in Japan isn't the best idea (but I had friends who couldn't have fish, and Japanese people just assumed them to be vegetarians, so it's not like they're completely nonexistant). While I was in Japan, sure there were things about the culture and every day life that I didn't particularly like, but honestly I look back on my time there favorably, and I'd like to go back at some point. I think this guy is just blowing things out of proportion.

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2010, 05:28:30 PM »

Tim has a knack for getting people riled up.

Apparently he also has a knack for being labeled a douche bag.

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2010, 05:35:07 PM »

You know, I see some of his points, but it really seems like he's /looking/ for all the bad instead of it finding him. Also honestly probably being a staunch vegetarian in Japan isn't the best idea (but I had friends who couldn't have fish, and Japanese people just assumed them to be vegetarians, so it's not like they're completely nonexistant). While I was in Japan, sure there were things about the culture and every day life that I didn't particularly like, but honestly I look back on my time there favorably, and I'd like to go back at some point. I think this guy is just blowing things out of proportion.

The funny part of that is my aunt is a vegetarian and she has no trouble whatsoever. You can get plenty of vegetarian food there, you just have to look. Now, Tim may be in a position where he's either just too unfamiliar or too challenged by the language/racial barrier to find out where vegetarian restaurants are, but they do in fact exist. A couple of years ago my Grandfather was planning to visit and he's virtually a vegan these days. My aunt gave him a whole list, including several temple-area establishments which served visitors of the Buddhist clergy.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2010, 09:15:39 PM »

I don't doubt some of what Mark says, the article seems overly negative, but not wholly untruthful.

Have any of you actually had to deal with pure Asian people? I don't mean just genetically Asian, I mean people who have actually lived their entire lives in an Asian country and have had Asian upbringings? I know Lard has, but has anyone else here even lived in an Asian country for an extended period of time? Seriously, it's like dealing with a legion of complete douchebags.

The entire idea of Asian society that you're only this small gear of a large machine and that anything foreign is a taint - even if said foreigner is Asian him or herself frankly pisses me off. If you've spent a few weeks in Asia then you have no idea how bad it is. Asia as a whole is generally racist, xenophobic, and completely paranoid about Westerners, regardless of race. Some of this, admittedly extends from some of the Western propaganda about the East (excepting Japan, who plays the kind boot licker for America), but largely it is about how the west (mainly America) cares nothing about customs and heritage, and are considered a bunch of immoral jackals who just want to take advantage of the kindly Asian people - something that is wholly unfair, untrue, and fucking ridiculous. The idea that anyone who's different or unique is some kind of freak is an ideology that is fucking abhorrent to me, and should be to anybody on this board as well. I can't believe that people are calling this author a 'douchebag' with 'no social abilities' when a good deal of Asian philosophy revolves around hating anything - or anyone - that is different from themselves.

Get a fucking clue.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 09:17:21 PM by Leyviur » Logged

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2010, 10:26:08 PM »

I don't doubt some of what Mark says, the article seems overly negative, but not wholly untruthful.

Have any of you actually had to deal with pure Asian people? I don't mean just genetically Asian, I mean people who have actually lived their entire lives in an Asian country and have had Asian upbringings? I know Lard has, but has anyone else here even lived in an Asian country for an extended period of time? Seriously, it's like dealing with a legion of complete douchebags.

The entire idea of Asian society that you're only this small gear of a large machine and that anything foreign is a taint - even if said foreigner is Asian him or herself frankly pisses me off. If you've spent a few weeks in Asia then you have no idea how bad it is. Asia as a whole is generally racist, xenophobic, and completely paranoid about Westerners, regardless of race. Some of this, admittedly extends from some of the Western propaganda about the East (excepting Japan, who plays the kind boot licker for America), but largely it is about how the west (mainly America) cares nothing about customs and heritage, and are considered a bunch of immoral jackals who just want to take advantage of the kindly Asian people - something that is wholly unfair, untrue, and fucking ridiculous. The idea that anyone who's different or unique is some kind of freak is an ideology that is fucking abhorrent to me, and should be to anybody on this board as well. I can't believe that people are calling this author a 'douchebag' with 'no social abilities' when a good deal of Asian philosophy revolves around hating anything - or anyone - that is different from themselves.

Get a fucking clue.

Well, I have to admit, he has a point.

I have lived in Japan, Korea and Taiwan, and what Leyviur says is pretty much spot on.

Maybe it's the way it's written that comes across as whiny (except for the smoking part, which is absolutely true)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 10:29:37 PM by Lard » Logged

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2010, 11:01:39 PM »

I don't doubt there's a good amount of truth to what he says, I admittedly only skimmed over it but it either matches what I've heard before or just doesn't sound like the kind of thing you make up (like lard being used to make bread), but this is Tim Rogers. He's likely writing it half for entertainment, provocation, or whatever word you want to use for it, so I'm not sure how serious he really is with the article anyway.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: