Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 01:40:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334801 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  FINAL FANTASY XIII
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 53 Print
Author Topic: FINAL FANTASY XIII  (Read 94012 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2010, 07:14:33 PM »

so is anyone else annoyed by the commercial that makes it seem like its only for 360?

To be honest, it does get to me some. Other games have been doing similar too (for both 360 and PS3), but the PS3 version is generally agreed upon to be the superior version and is the only one even out in Japan (and the rest of Asia?), yet the 360 is played up a bit more here in the promos. Microsoft may be funding their marketting some though, so if it's something like that it would explain why you only ever see the Xbox 360 stuff in commercials.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 07:42:54 PM by Eusis » Logged
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2010, 07:17:45 PM »

MS payed fot that. They have a exclusivity deal both for commercials and bundles in the west.

There's been a lot of BS in reviews.

Not being able to talk to npc's? When you approach them you hear what they have to say, the only difference is that you don't have to press the x button!
20 hour tutorial? You get everything around the 5-6 hour mark except having 3 party members at the same time which only happens a lot later but having them in different groups and alternating between them actually makes the whole thing more dynamic and interesting so it pays off. (or so I hear lol)

Anyway, there's so much BS in reviews, how can you say with a straight face that you can't talk to npc's? Or were people expecting fucking dialogue trees like in ME? I'm getting a completely different perception from the feedback I've been getting from other gamers.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 07:27:19 PM by CDFN » Logged

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2010, 07:49:45 PM »

so is anyone else annoyed by the commercial that makes it seem like its only for 360?

That's what happens when Microsoft throws 80 bazillion dollars at Square. I haven't actually seen an FF commercial, but then the channel I watch on TV hardly fits the target FF demographic.

you would be surprised i saw the commercial a few times during the lakers magic game on sunday :o

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
ValendianKnight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2010, 10:15:44 PM »

MS payed fot that. They have a exclusivity deal both for commercials and bundles in the west.

There's been a lot of BS in reviews.

Not being able to talk to npc's? When you approach them you hear what they have to say, the only difference is that you don't have to press the x button!
20 hour tutorial? You get everything around the 5-6 hour mark except having 3 party members at the same time which only happens a lot later but having them in different groups and alternating between them actually makes the whole thing more dynamic and interesting so it pays off. (or so I hear lol)

Anyway, there's so much BS in reviews, how can you say with a straight face that you can't talk to npc's? Or were people expecting fucking dialogue trees like in ME? I'm getting a completely different perception from the feedback I've been getting from other gamers.

Hmm, I still don't know if I want to risk buying this. I have not missed a main FF release since FF7, and I'd hate to miss out on a potentially good game that has been ruined due to mixed opinions. I feel like I can't even get into it without thinking "linear, linear, linear" because that's all I hear. This game seems to remind me a lot of what Mass Effect 2 did. It cut off all the fat from the first title, and it ended up making a much better game, one that even though it was streamlined, I didn't feel like I lost many options or depth at all.

Even though I said countless times I might have to skip on this one, I might just change my mind.

"Life Ends so fast, so take your chance and make it last..."
-Chuck Schuldiner(Death)
Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2010, 10:42:39 PM »

Opinions do not ruin a game unless you allow them to.  Same could be said for opinions making a game good, too.  :P

That being said, I'm just looking forward to playing a good game.  I've actually made a considerable effort to avoid most reviews for FFXIII, besides on here and a couple magazines, and that might explain why I'm neither jaded or super hyped up for it.  I am, however, going to lose some sleep over it tonight. :)

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2010, 12:29:40 AM »

I still don't understand why "linear" is like a curse word to gamers all of a sudden.  If a reviewer so much as whispers the word everyone starts going fucking nuts.  Every Final Fantasy game ever has been linear as hell, and in fact, most of them were PRAISED for it!  I can't count the number of people I've met who have told me that the only decent part of FF6 was the World of Balance, which was linear as all fuck.  The "choice heavy" World of Ruin forced a lot of people to quit playing the game entirely!

People who are on the fence because "UH OH GAME IS LINEAR" need to smack themselves in the face and remind themselves that every fucking FF game ever has been linear to the point of punishing exploration until the very end of the game and realize that they are going to love this game exactly as much as they've loved every other game in the series.  Just because this game doesn't make efforts to HIDE it's linearity doesn't mean it's going to actually be any different from the other games.
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2010, 01:12:21 AM »

I have no idea why Microsoft wanted exclusive commercials seeing as how the pre-orders are dominating for the PS3 version.That money could have gone to a Japanese 360 version of FFXIII or some DLC that truly stood out for those who are still uncertain.

I'll get FFXIII soon but not right away

(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2010, 01:13:36 AM »

I'm pretty happy FF13 is linear. After the decision-making and sidequest heavy Dragon Age: Origins and Mass Effect 2, I'm ready for a game where I don't have to stress about every little thing I do and can just sit back and enjoy the story without any anxiety. Not that I'm saying what DA:O and ME2 did were bad, I'm just looking for a nice change of pace.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2010, 01:22:16 AM »

I think it's less a literal tutorial and more the fact the game is trying to train you through various encounters until you reach a point where the game fully opens up and you can pretty much do what you want to. Phantom Dust's single player mode is essentially a very long tutorial, but it's forcing you try all sorts of tricks that will be useful in online play.

Of course, most of us haven't even played the game and can only look at raw facts, you might get the logic of what they're saying when you actually play the game!
SonicDeathMonkey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2010, 01:24:25 AM »

I'm not commenting on FFXIII in particular since I haven't played it, but linearity in an RPG just doesn't even sound right. Sure, not every game has to be Elder Scrolls but the little optional sidequests and things really make the experience, for me.

Side note, my friend pre-ordered this game from GameStop and they somehow messed up his order and didn't have it ready for him! He called me and I've never heard him so mad, I guess he raised hell in the store until they threatened to call the cops. lmao
Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2010, 01:25:01 AM »

The type of people that were there at midnight... just... wow.
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2010, 01:43:53 AM »

PS3 version has an FFXIV beta code
360 version has avatar items

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2010, 01:48:19 AM »

A couple of hours in, as I type this.

Opening cutscene was epic. Blew my mind. Enjoying the battle system so far, and the graphics need no explanation. Enjoying it, thus far.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2010, 01:54:47 AM »

PS3 version has an FFXIV beta code

Definitely made the right call there. No idea if I'd even like it, but it's far more interesting to me than some avatar items anyway.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2010, 07:39:58 AM »

I can't believe I'm finally playing this. 2 hours in. I'm listening to the cd that comes with the CE as I'm typing this and it's great, Hamauzu's liner notes are also interesting.

The game is so damn beautiful, best marriage between tech and art I've ever seen. It starts with a bang and doesn't slow down, so much happened in these 2 hours! I love lightning, she's great. I can already tell the battle system has tons of potential.

Man, I just know I'm going to have a blast with this. Some people are still hesitant about it, all I can say is that it's their loss.

Did I mention that it looks amazing?

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 53 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: