Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 07:13:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319201 Posts in 13033 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  FINAL FANTASY XIII
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 Print
Author Topic: FINAL FANTASY XIII  (Read 86609 times)
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #765 on: January 17, 2011, 10:38:12 AM »

acting like how kids are supposed to :/

Can't remember the last time I saw a kid getting bullied by soldiers stand in a Dragonball Z fighting pose to charge up his yelling power.  The best part is how Kaim and gang just stand there like a bunch of retards during the entire sequence letting these two kids get bullied.  When Mack yelled really loud causing the soldier to fall on his ass, it was like I was watching a cartoon.  The whole bit was completely unbelievable.

That's my biggest pet peeve with a lot of JRPGs... when they go out of their way to make more realistic visuals and try to make you take their plots seriously, but characters start acting like they're in a cartoon.  FFXIII ruined the immersion very, very early in the game with Snow and his stupid NORA gang.  They're in the middle of a warzone, firing their automatic weapons at trained soldiers and standing in the wide open where they could easily get shot, having a conversation about how they're the heroes while that one kid with the stupid head piece complains about being tired or something and falls over in a force-fed comedic moment that is unfunny to the Nth degree.  Its take on a war between two sides fighting one another was about as immersive as an episode of GI Joe.

Kids in games aren't the problem.  It's when they're utilized in an unbelievable manner that is the problem.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #766 on: January 17, 2011, 11:53:09 AM »

Exactly. Kid characters can be done well - like Lymsleia in Suikoden V or Nanako in Persona 4. But not when they do stupid ass things like hijack trains. Because hijacking trains is NOT what kids do.

Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #767 on: January 17, 2011, 01:07:00 PM »

Tidus and Yuna laughing was like nails on a chalkboard.  I'm just glad Yuna told him to shut the hell up.  What really bothered me was the fact everyone else in the background was just staring at him, I think Tidus put them into a trance.

Currently playing: Dark Souls II (PS3)
Waiting on: Drakengard 3, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #768 on: January 17, 2011, 02:16:07 PM »

*just goes with the flow for my own good*

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #769 on: January 17, 2011, 02:34:39 PM »

Nanako is a fantastic example of a child character done well, she was perfect.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #770 on: January 17, 2011, 04:24:02 PM »

I like Rico and Rucha from Infinite Undiscovery :/

DINNER DINNER
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #771 on: January 17, 2011, 04:34:03 PM »

I watched my friend play Infinite Undiscovery.  I was really hyped for this game but I was disappointed in the game.  Maybe it was because I was watching and not playing the game.. that does make a difference.

Currently playing: Dark Souls II (PS3)
Waiting on: Drakengard 3, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #772 on: January 17, 2011, 04:42:27 PM »

I like Rico and Rucha from Infinite Undiscovery :/

DINNER DINNER

I almost bought the game because of this scene. So awful yet so good.

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
RpgN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #773 on: January 17, 2011, 06:14:24 PM »

I never claimed Mack and Cooke being prime examples as kids. That scene with the soldiers bullying them made me go 'eh' and thought it was funny, but other than that they're fine for the most part. The part with train wasn't that weird, it's not like it doesn't happen when a kid runs off with a car and gets in trouble. A train is a bigger deal but I don't see it impossible to happen. And it made sense that they did all that because they foolishly believed they could see their mother again, I'd think a lot of kids can think like that at times.

I feel far more offended with games having loli characters in it, or cat like little girls, or young girl with big boobs. Or the typical anime stuff you see often in RPGs. The DBZ stuff you mentioned bothers me as well and I totally understand you but I thought LO wasn't too bad in that regard and it tried creating interesting characters that aren't necessarily typical :)

I come in peace :)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #774 on: January 17, 2011, 08:56:35 PM »

I never claimed Mack and Cooke being prime examples as kids. That scene with the soldiers bullying them made me go 'eh' and thought it was funny, but other than that they're fine for the most part. The part with train wasn't that weird, it's not like it doesn't happen when a kid runs off with a car and gets in trouble. A train is a bigger deal but I don't see it impossible to happen. And it made sense that they did all that because they foolishly believed they could see their mother again, I'd think a lot of kids can think like that at times.

I feel far more offended with games having loli characters in it, or cat like little girls, or young girl with big boobs. Or the typical anime stuff you see often in RPGs. The DBZ stuff you mentioned bothers me as well and I totally understand you but I thought LO wasn't too bad in that regard and it tried creating interesting characters that aren't necessarily typical :)

You know what - in that respect I kinda appreciate the Cooke and Mack characters if it means no neko-girl-chans or whatever.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #775 on: January 17, 2011, 09:25:24 PM »

One thing FFXIII does right: allowing you to restart a battle after you die. This is something I have always felt RPGs should do.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #776 on: January 17, 2011, 09:27:01 PM »

One thing FFXIII does right: allowing you to restart a battle after you die. This is something I have always felt RPGs should do.

Agreed 100%.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #777 on: January 17, 2011, 10:23:27 PM »

Agreed 100%.

I think that's why post-game SO4 took me so long.  There's no save points, an even greater issue in the 2nd dungeon.  One fuck up (game over) sends you back a long, long way.
I loved having a chance to restart.  Sometimes a battle ends in a game over or goes on a helluva lot longer than it should because of screwed up tactics (say, the wrong "thing" equipped).

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #778 on: January 17, 2011, 10:40:43 PM »

I always find it funny how Dragon Quest was comparatively progressive there, taking only half your gold and leaving everyone but the MC dead (until VIII anyway), but in most of the games you could deposit gold in 1000 increments, so by the endgame the only reason a death hits you hard would be because you failed to keep depositing money, otherwise you should have a net gain instead of being setback more than you would've been by loading your old save. There's games where restarting/sent back to the last save point with all progress/whatever would undermine the game's intended type of difficulty (EO's a good example there), but far fewer RPGs are as nice about this as they should be given that their design otherwise ISN'T about survival and/or appealing only to the hardcore niche.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #779 on: January 17, 2011, 11:21:36 PM »

I always find it funny how Dragon Quest was comparatively progressive there, taking only half your gold and leaving everyone but the MC dead (until VIII anyway), but in most of the games you could deposit gold in 1000 increments, so by the endgame the only reason a death hits you hard would be because you failed to keep depositing money, otherwise you should have a net gain instead of being setback more than you would've been by loading your old save. There's games where restarting/sent back to the last save point with all progress/whatever would undermine the game's intended type of difficulty (EO's a good example there), but far fewer RPGs are as nice about this as they should be given that their design otherwise ISN'T about survival and/or appealing only to the hardcore niche.

How far in do you have to get before you can deposit money in the bank?

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: