Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 06:19:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334832 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  FINAL FANTASY XIII
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 53 Print
Author Topic: FINAL FANTASY XIII  (Read 94042 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: March 25, 2010, 09:18:32 PM »

"Commencing Operation NORA!"

To be fair he's an idiot teenager. Then again that's probably more along the lines of what a twelve year old would shout to look cool.

Anyways, it's reminding me of why I prefer to play Final Fantasy because they're generally fun games rather than because I seriously care about the narratives beyond something to lure me onwards, and XIII is no exception. It makes the direction they seem interested in taking the series kind of wearisome, though there probably isn't much reason to really worry since XIV indicates they're more than happy to juggle the series between developers still.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #331 on: March 25, 2010, 09:32:49 PM »

"Commencing Operation NORA!"

To be fair he's an idiot teenager. Then again that's probably more along the lines of what a twelve year old would shout to look cool.

It's neat that you had enough courtesy to refute your own point.  Though I probably would have gone with age 10 or younger.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #332 on: March 26, 2010, 06:58:14 AM »

Honestly, what I found interesting about the "Hope" and "having hope" thing is that games do it ALL THE TIME, but without aknowledging it. Like naming the evil big monster thing "Sin", and then talking about how all the characters need to "repay for all their sins", completely ignoring the fact that the words are exactly the same. This is probably the first game ever that I've played where they actually aknowledge that a character's name has some sort of meaning. When Hope actually asks about it, he's sort of rolling his eyes as if to say, "yeah, my name is Hope... isn't that cheesy?" I thought that was GREAT. I was practically cheering "Finally! They actually realize what they're doing!" Unfortantely, the "Nora" and "NORA" thing didn't go over that way. That was just weird.

I agree with the Hope thing because I thought the same thing at the time. As for the Nora thing, in my opinion the fact that he asks Light what Nora stands for justifies it, he obviously is curious because of that particular coincidence, otherwise he wouldn't care. If you're going to say that the Hope thing was a lack of subtlety then in the Nora case we have to admit that the opposite is true.

As for the main plot, I think that after you have all the pieces and look at the entire series of events from start to finish, it really isnít bad, at least by videogame standards.
I think people are judging it without giving it a fair chance.

I wonder how Versus relates to this. Will there be the whole falície/lície thing? Maybe itís a different timeline?

« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 07:04:38 AM by CDFN » Logged

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #333 on: March 26, 2010, 09:58:37 AM »

I wonder how Versus relates to this. Will there be the whole falície/lície thing? Maybe itís a different timeline?

To quote a recent interview:
Final Fantasy XIII is part of a family of games in the Fabula Nova Crystallis series such as Versus XIII and Agito XIII. How does this game relate to the others?

Toriyama: The Fabula Nova Crystallis is not really a compilation in the sense a lot of people would be familiar with. Basically, there is one common crystal mythology that binds all of the concepts together. Each team behind these games have taken this mythos and taken their own interpretation of it, whether it is story or battle system. This type of process was implemented so each team can maximize their creative vision.

There is nothing from Final Fantasy XIII that carries over to Versus or Agito, just that Crystal mythology.

Source: http://www.siliconera.com/2010/03/18/final-fantasy-xiii-director-answers-your-ffxiii-questions

That same interview also explains why the beginning of the game is so linear.

My own personal belief is that the crystal mythology they're referring to is the long quote in the final "Analect."  If you haven't done any of the side-quests, you get "Analects" that tell some information about the story - and you get the final Analect from finishing them all off.  This final Analect is called Fabula Nova Crystallis
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 10:01:16 AM by Cyril » Logged
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #334 on: March 26, 2010, 10:03:22 AM »

But what is this whole Crystal mythology thing? I don't see any crystals in XIII. When he talks about this common theme, what exactly is he reffering to?

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #335 on: March 26, 2010, 10:20:04 AM »

Well, I will give you the final Analect (from my game).  As stated, it's Analect XIII and called Fabula Nova Crystallis.  It actually only really makes sense when you have read the other Analects, since some of these things are only mentioned in them - for example, Lindzei.  I don't really like how they approached so much of this important backstory with sidequests, but a lot of the final plot doesn't make much sense until you do them.  Oh well.

Code:
Children of Hallowed Pulse scour earth, searching substance for the Door. 
Those of Fell Lindzei harvest souls, combing ether for the same. So have I seen.

The Door, once shut, was locked away, with despair its secret key; sacrifice, the one hope of seeing it unsealed.

When the twilight of the gods at last descends upon this world, what emerges from the unseeable expanse beyond the Door
will be but music, and that devoid of words: the lamentations of the Goddess Etro as She sobs Her song of grief.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #336 on: March 26, 2010, 10:37:24 AM »

I haven't finished the game yet but I'm guessing that the stuff mentioned in the analects really isn't fleshed out in the game huh?
Maybe it plays a part in the other games. I think there's a lot of potential for some interesting dlc here. Like I said, I haven't finished it yet but I get the feeling that it's only part of a bigger picture, I'm curious to see if the ending leaves potential for further developments though it definitely seems more needed of a prequel.

citizenchris099

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #337 on: March 26, 2010, 02:08:39 PM »

these other games in the FF13 series are nebulous at best as far as I'm concirned. What do we really know aboutVersus outside of the fact that its directed by the KH guy? A few pre-renderd trailors and lip service about the battle system and a world map and that that KH3 is dependant on the success of Versus. How much more do we really know?? We had more info  on FF13 back in 2006  than we do now on Versus....or do I have it all wrong??

--
Chris

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Everything that happens will happen today
and nothing has changed, but nothing's the same
and every tomorrow could be yesterday
and everything that happens will happen today"

-David Byrne
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #338 on: March 26, 2010, 02:27:25 PM »

these other games in the FF13 series are nebulous at best as far as I'm concirned. What do we really know aboutVersus outside of the fact that its directed by the KH guy? A few pre-renderd trailors and lip service about the battle system and a world map and that that KH3 is dependant on the success of Versus. How much more do we really know?? We had more info  on FF13 back in 2006  than we do now on Versus....or do I have it all wrong??

Heh, I feel the exact same way about Versus, actually.  But then there are plenty of people who are like, "OMG, world map!!  Versus must be awesome!!!"  Then there are the PS3 fanboys who just assume Versus will be awesome just because it's still exclusive...really, there is not much that can be said about that.

I see Versus as a kind of projective screen.  There is so little hard information about it that people tend to imagine it to be whatever they want it to be...

From the very little I've seen about it I've found Agito intriguing, though.  But maybe that's my own projective screen...

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: March 26, 2010, 07:52:17 PM »

I kind of wonder if Versus is remaining an exclusive (so far?) BECAUSE of the world map. FFXIII being as linear as it did has no trouble segregating content into discs, but Versus might be a bit obnoxious to deal with. Though, they might also be waiting to see how FFXIII does in case that merits releasing on the 360, or if the effort isn't worth the extra sales.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 09:09:25 PM by Eusis » Logged
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #340 on: March 26, 2010, 08:32:11 PM »

Good Will Hunting reference. 

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #341 on: March 26, 2010, 08:33:53 PM »

From the very little I've seen about it I've found Agito intriguing, though.  But maybe that's my own projective screen...

Doesn't Agito have the directly controllable summons?

If so, I'm really excited for that one.
Saviour

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #342 on: March 27, 2010, 12:17:59 AM »

Just finished the game, it was pretty superb.

Finished RPG Count: 90
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: March 27, 2010, 03:00:14 PM »

Oh yeah, if anyone's interested Amazon's offering $38 for it traded in. I've bitten on the offer, especially since it effectively made the game only a few bucks; as much as I enjoyed the game it's probably the one FF I'm least interested in playing again. Others either get going quicker or are more interesting once they do, and even something like FFII may be interesting to attempt again with one of the slightly nerfed ports. The only reason I'd want to try FFXIII again is if I get a large 1080p TV with a dts surround set up, and when/if that happens the game will surely be $20 or less anyway.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #344 on: March 27, 2010, 05:47:37 PM »

Finally finished it. Final boss is cheap and the ending is beautiful.

I was a bit confused with a few things but the story recap in the official guide makes a few things clearer.

Code:
I always thought that you would be able to continue after beating the final boss, that what you'd do next would actually take place after the ending so I was surprised to see what happened to vanille and fang because I was expecting that everyone would make it. It was a really great scene though, they triggered the whole thing and ended up making it right in the end. I can't believe that the game's logo actually shows the very last thing you see in the game lol, talk about spoilers :-)]I always thought that you would be able to continue after beating the final boss, that what you'd do next would actually take place after the ending so I was surprised to see what happened to vanille and fang because I was expecting that everyone would make it. It was a really great scene though, they triggered the whole thing and ended up making it right in the end. I can't believe that the game's logo actually shows the very last thing you see in the game lol, talk about spoilers :-)

So yeah, I absolutely loved it and I really hope that we'll get to see more of these characters.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 05:51:05 PM by CDFN » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 53 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: