Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 25, 2014, 09:56:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327406 Posts in 13405 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  FINAL FANTASY XIII
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 53 Print
Author Topic: FINAL FANTASY XIII  (Read 90583 times)
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #360 on: March 31, 2010, 04:13:21 PM »

When you compare the Steppe to the Calm Lands (FFX's equivalent) it's mind blowing, but when you hold it up to games like DQVIII and FFXII it's notably less impressive. It's ONE large area, and the impact was likely raised by being stuck in the hallways for so long.

I'm not talking about the steppe, I'm talking about Pulse as a whole. There's an insane amount of stuff to explore around the steppe, a ton of areas that branch out like crazy, several cutscenes that you might miss completely if you don't explore these areas and enemies that only appear in one specific place.
Only yesterday I found 2 new areas, one in the mines if you ride atomos again after using it the first time (it doesn't take you back to the place you were but to a new area) and another that you can access from the steppe by using a chocobo. In this area there are 2 custscenes, one gives you an item that you don't find anywhere else and the other enables you to fight a very cool monster that you also don't find anywhere else. And that area gives access to yet another one that I haven't explored yet because you have to do a mission to open the gate.
Then there's the tower,
Code:
oerba
and lots more.

I'm having more fun just exploring pulse and doing the missions than with a lot of rpgs I played these past few years. Completing certain missions even causes new kinds of monsters to appear on the steppe. Then you have the treasures that you can dig up with chocobos, there's a ton of them. It's a playground with dozens of hours worth of content.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #361 on: March 31, 2010, 04:18:48 PM »

Yes, Pulse is very impressive. Theres no need for a new game+ feature when theres just so much to do.
Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #362 on: March 31, 2010, 06:23:22 PM »

I think you're giving Pulse much more credit than it deserves. The place is really great and interesting the first time you see it, but you'll be spending so much time doing increasingly boring side content that it's beauty just doesn't compensate in the end. I'm on my last mission and I've only seen one or two unique monsters introduced by side quests. Everything else has either been the same exact enemy from earlier in the game, the same enemy with a color swap, one that's slightly larger or one with more enemies accompanying it. I literally fought the same enemy in three different side missions. Second, Chocobo digging isn't anything substantial. There are a total of four unique items a Chocobo can dig up, with the last being a surprisingly useless Ribbon, and the rest, bar the Gold Nugget, are just more useless items. Finally, there were only around 3 or 4 extra cut scenes. Two were rather poor attempts at humor with Sazh and the other was just another typical cut scene with Hope and Vanille. I can't remember the fourth, or if there even was one, but needless to say they weren't too interesting. Overall, I found post game Pulse to be disappointing. I question why I sunk so much time in it, but I might as well finish it since I've come so far.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 06:25:25 PM by Jet16 » Logged
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: March 31, 2010, 08:06:55 PM »

What Jet said. What Gran Pulse offers is but a fraction to the aforementioned DQVIII or FFXII, and Zelda/Metroid games go infinitely further in that 'unlocking new areas' aspect.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 10:36:31 PM by Eusis » Logged
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #364 on: March 31, 2010, 10:12:24 PM »

"Wow! It's a big empty field! I can't believe what I'm looking at! It's a field, and it's big and empty!"

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #365 on: April 01, 2010, 12:46:32 AM »

While I am still happy with buying this game; and think its worth the $60 I put down on it and whatever hours I will end up putting in it... I'm surprised Square released an FF title thats...so empty.
Were the 4 (+?) years of development just for a [admittedly awesome] battle system, menu interface, and scenery?  The game is void of so much - it does really feel limited to fighting in battles only.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: April 01, 2010, 12:54:09 AM »

Yeah, I feel similarly. It's definitely worth playing, if nothing else than because it's THE JRPG event of the current generation for consoles and there's a good chance you'll like it anyway, but it feels hollow. It's not even the whole 'but there's no towns and I'm just running down a tube!' thing as that, well, in retrospect it really IS a dragged out tutorial. Transparent and generally enjoyable, but not the kind of thing you'd want to replay. Compare this to Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, cited before as another heavily linear RPG, and it's still compelling to replay because of the challenge and depth the battle system has before very long, and that's not even factoring in there's actual replay incentives built in.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #367 on: April 02, 2010, 02:09:08 AM »

GOD FUCKING DAMNIT!

I just ran into my first hickup with FF13. Hecatoncheir, Vanille's eidolon battle, was so cheap. I kept getting 95% of the way through the gauge, and dieing at the end from doom. I honed my strategy time and time again, so that I would switch at just the right time to get auto-fill ATB bars before switching paradigms again, going back and forth between RAV and MED, doing damage then healing. I would always start off with SAB debuffs as well, and get all three that the boss could do. The mistake I made is that I was trying to use LOGIC to battle this beefcake. Turns out, SAB debuffs fill the gestalt gauge no matter whether the spell actually works or not. In fact, setting both Vanille and Fang to SAB fills up the gauge extra quickly, even though Fang doesn't have any debuffs that will actually work! That makes NO SENSE! Wahhhh!!!!!!

Anyway, for all of you who end up stuck there... heed this warning:

Be Stupid: cast needless debuffs on Hecatoncheir, and you'll take him down easy...

(fucker)

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #368 on: April 02, 2010, 08:29:01 AM »

LOL. Look at the bright side Prime, it's the last eidolon battle.

Bringing back the
Code:
Tonberry
was a nice touch, the game almost felt like a real FF for a second there.

I'm glad they explained what that huge monster you can see from the steppe is, I was starting to worry that they only threw that in there to look impressive. I've heard people complain that they never explain it so I'm glad that isn't true (what a surprise). I actually said out loud the exact same thing Hope says:
Code:
it talks?!
lol.

I was looking at a neochu trying to figure out if I could stealth it and Fang is like "I wonder what these things think about all day?". These comments they keep throwing around are a nice touch.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #369 on: April 02, 2010, 12:34:13 PM »

I found this music awesome (slight spoiler): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ze_h6DK2jps
Code:
Gran Pulse - Yaschas Massif

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #370 on: April 02, 2010, 01:01:53 PM »

I found this music awesome (slight spoiler): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ze_h6DK2jps
Code:
Gran Pulse - Yaschas Massif

The
Code:
Oerba
theme is also fantastic. The music combined with the great atmosphere makes it one of my favorite places in the game.

V-Dawg

PizMasta+V
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #371 on: April 03, 2010, 02:07:14 AM »

Holy shit, I'm actually posting for the first time in years...

In any case, I've put in 27 hours into FF13 so far. I kept crossing my fingers and hoping and wishing and giving it every benefit of the doubt along the way. Well, tonight I've reached the point where I can do so no longer. For 27 hours the game has been this: cutscene BATTLE BATTLE BATTLE BATTLE BATTLE BATTLE cutscene BATTLE BATTLE BATTLE BATTLE BATTLE BATTLE BATTLE BATTLE  BATTLE BATTLE cutscene BATTLE BATTLE BATTLE BATTLE BATTLE BATTLE BATTLE BATTLE BATTLE BATTLE BATTLE BATTLE  BATTLE BATTLE BATTLE BATTLE

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT. There is nothing in this game besides battles and watching cutscenes. In RPGs, the parts I enjoy the most are the non-battle parts - towns to explore, characters to talk to, various side quests to complete, etc. This game has none of that.

Now I've failed to mention prior to this that the aforementioned cutscenes are mostly cringe-inducing with a god-awful, generic script featuring an unlikable (I might even say very hate-able) bunch of characters. Yes, the battle system is good. Yes, the game looks nice. But that's about it as far as the positives.

After all these years and all the hype and this is what we get?

Fuck you, Square.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 02:38:01 AM by V-Dawg » Logged
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #372 on: April 03, 2010, 02:25:20 AM »

Toriyama makes terrible decisions.

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: April 03, 2010, 03:31:11 AM »

Maybe you guys should've dialed down the hype or at least tried to? I wasn't seriously excited for it until it was just about in my hands, and only had notable anticipation after... well, not the Japanese release, but when I got through Lost Odyssey and realized FFXIII likely went for something similar and did a better job with it (I at least had more fun with XIII). It was too far and distant when announced in 2006, and unlike something like Alpha Protocol was never just within reach only to be snatched away. Maybe some of you are younger than I'd expect for this to work, but surely quite a few of you would've been familiar enough with waiting on a game to come out and weathering delays to be patient, and to be burned enough times by a highly anticipated game to know not to get hopes ridiculously high.
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #374 on: April 03, 2010, 09:23:48 AM »

I think you're giving Pulse much more credit than it deserves. The place is really great and interesting the first time you see it, but you'll be spending so much time doing increasingly boring side content that it's beauty just doesn't compensate in the end. I'm on my last mission and I've only seen one or two unique monsters introduced by side quests. Everything else has either been the same exact enemy from earlier in the game, the same enemy with a color swap, one that's slightly larger or one with more enemies accompanying it. I literally fought the same enemy in three different side missions. Second, Chocobo digging isn't anything substantial. There are a total of four unique items a Chocobo can dig up, with the last being a surprisingly useless Ribbon, and the rest, bar the Gold Nugget, are just more useless items. Finally, there were only around 3 or 4 extra cut scenes. Two were rather poor attempts at humor with Sazh and the other was just another typical cut scene with Hope and Vanille. I can't remember the fourth, or if there even was one, but needless to say they weren't too interesting. Overall, I found post game Pulse to be disappointing. I question why I sunk so much time in it, but I might as well finish it since I've come so far.

Completely agree with you. After the new world smell wore off - somewhere between the 8th run through Faultwarrens and the endless Adamantoise farming- I felt like I was playing the boring parts of an MMO. The fact that I spent more time doing marks than I did playing the actual game makes me shake my head and wonder what went wrong. The storyline was ok, the ending completely blaise - and the post-game content uninteresting. I think they would have been better served fleshing out Pulse within the context of the story instead of making it a pretty (though repetitive) backdrop for farming content. They could have mined the hell out of what really happened to Pulse after the previous Ragnarok and played up the ruined world and added some substance to the dysfunctional relationship fal'Cie have with humans. Heck, the whole Maker thing felt completely tacked on, and they could have ran with it for a much more gratifying experience. Overall FFXIII was fun, but its completely immemorable, which is a shame considering how long we had to wait for it.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 53 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: