Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 02:28:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334764 Posts in 13710 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  FINAL FANTASY XIII
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 53 Print
Author Topic: FINAL FANTASY XIII  (Read 93979 times)
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #495 on: May 07, 2010, 03:29:12 PM »

I was going to say I was with you UNTIL you mentioned My Hands ... But then, I played the japanese version.
Honestly, I loved the game, it's only after VII in my book. And when I reached Gran Pulse I started loving it even more.

I think the good thing about Final Fantasy games is how they try something different from each installment (and they can, because they have a big name), because this way we can always get a different experience, be it as open as XII or as narrow as XIII.

What I believe hurt it much in the eyes of people in the west is the fact that in an era where Oblivion and Fallout 3 are praised for being a vast world to explore, XIII doesn't (Pulse is big, sure, but we don't have as many stuff to do as in Bethesda's games). And games like Mass Effect and Dragon Age are centered about the characters you meet along the way and build your party the way you like, and most come in only if you want them, in XIII they are set since the beginning of the game, and only Fang coming later, and no choice whatsoever.

And weird thing is, while I love all the games I mentioned, and for the reasons I listed I love Final Fantasy XIII just as much, or even more.

I gave up on trying to defend or attack the game, I simply loved it. An example, my first impressions with Mass Effect 2 were horrible to the point I was disappointed beyond belief, but as I kept playing, the game was growing on me so much, but so much that I say it's one of the best games I played this gen, maybe better than FFXIII.

We're not movie critics. Sometimes you watch a crappy movie, you know it's bad, a friend comes and tells you why it's so bad but you still like doesn't it ? I say this may happen to games as well (Not saying any of these games are crap, but some in the past I've played are crap that I really liked).

daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #496 on: May 13, 2010, 08:57:38 AM »

Beat a few more missions I was having trouble with. Apparently spamming death is the easiest way to do these...lame. For a game with such a strategic battle system having to resort to a cheap spell is kinda disappointing. The giant cactaur is easily beat by using another cheap trick as well, but I haven't been able to pull it off yet.
bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #497 on: May 13, 2010, 02:21:14 PM »

Oddly enough, I dislike Mass Effect. I think its just a shooter with a good story and not much of an RPG. And if I wanted to play a shooter with a interesting story I'd rather play Fear. This is not to say mass effect is a bad game, its just not for my taste.

While I do like Fallout 3 I can get bored with the aimless wanderering in such a free exploration games. I do love Dragon Age and FF13 for some odd reason. I just love the visuals, combat system, music, and characters of FF13 so I don't care at all about the lack of freedom. And Dragon Age is just my new Baldurs gate, the RPG I replay a thousand times.

So who knows, peoples opinion can vary greatly. They are all well polished games but whether you enjoy them or not is another matter.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 02:28:42 PM by bigdeath » Logged
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #498 on: May 19, 2010, 04:57:24 AM »

Mass Effect and Fear are nothing alike though. I wouldn't say Mass Effect isn't an RPG, it's just more of an action-RPG. The RPG elements are still heavy in ways such as choices, conversations, classes, multiple paths and character progression. I could see how someone that is more into technical-combat RPGs would dislike the shooter style gameplay. Actually, I remember in early trailers of the game they had the combat in more of an old-fashioned style, where you could jump from character to character and just queue commands.
Uru

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #499 on: May 19, 2010, 09:19:07 PM »

I was going to say I was with you UNTIL you mentioned My Hands ... But then, I played the japanese version.
Honestly, I loved the game, it's only after VII in my book. And when I reached Gran Pulse I started loving it even more.

I think the good thing about Final Fantasy games is how they try something different from each installment (and they can, because they have a big name), because this way we can always get a different experience, be it as open as XII or as narrow as XIII.

What I believe hurt it much in the eyes of people in the west is the fact that in an era where Oblivion and Fallout 3 are praised for being a vast world to explore, XIII doesn't (Pulse is big, sure, but we don't have as many stuff to do as in Bethesda's games). And games like Mass Effect and Dragon Age are centered about the characters you meet along the way and build your party the way you like, and most come in only if you want them, in XIII they are set since the beginning of the game, and only Fang coming later, and no choice whatsoever.

And weird thing is, while I love all the games I mentioned, and for the reasons I listed I love Final Fantasy XIII just as much, or even more.

I gave up on trying to defend or attack the game, I simply loved it. An example, my first impressions with Mass Effect 2 were horrible to the point I was disappointed beyond belief, but as I kept playing, the game was growing on me so much, but so much that I say it's one of the best games I played this gen, maybe better than FFXIII.

We're not movie critics. Sometimes you watch a crappy movie, you know it's bad, a friend comes and tells you why it's so bad but you still like doesn't it ? I say this may happen to games as well (Not saying any of these games are crap, but some in the past I've played are crap that I really liked).

I really dont think thats a fair thing to say about the "west". I live in the west and love my fair share of rpgs, I just love anything with good writing really. That was my biggest gripe about this final fantasy, the writing didn't "feel" like a final fantasy.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #500 on: May 19, 2010, 09:50:32 PM »

Final Fantasy has never had good writing.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #501 on: May 19, 2010, 10:10:55 PM »

Final Fantasy has never had good writing.

I agree that most of which the characters said could come off as being cheesy, but it definitely had ideas and although it was not big on intrigue - you knew who your villain was- it always took you to fantastic places. Some of my most poignant video game memories come from the Final Fantasy series. FF9: Zidanes inner struggle on Pandemonium. FF6: Opera, FF7: Aries's death (Cliché, but true) and FFX: Learning Yuna's secret (From Tidus anyway) when Home is being attacked by the Guado.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #502 on: May 19, 2010, 10:53:04 PM »

Well that's more plot than writing.
Uru

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #503 on: May 20, 2010, 03:22:24 PM »

Well that's more plot than writing.

....? Its not like they were pantomiming all of the events he listed, there was dialog and story i.e. writing.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #504 on: May 20, 2010, 03:23:50 PM »

Those specific plot points were important but often had terrible writing accompanying them.

Uru

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #505 on: May 20, 2010, 09:04:51 PM »

Just curious, which games DO have good writing in your opinion? I was crestfallen less than an hour into 13 when the minor npc's started posing and shouting, "we're the heroes!".
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #506 on: May 20, 2010, 09:25:09 PM »

Pretty much anything Matsuno has done (play FFT: WotL or VS, it'll change your perspective on how writing should be done in a JRPG), Persona 3 and 4 have excellent writing and localization, and even some 16-bit games like Lufia 2 had simple but decent dialogue (much better than the idiocy from FF13).

On the WRPG front, anything from Bioware (especially their latest games like ME1 & 2, or DA:O) have superb writing. Most people don't even give them bonus points for it anymore because it's such an expected aspect of their games.

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #507 on: May 20, 2010, 10:02:27 PM »

An example of good writing used in a different way would be Portal. The game lives and dies by it's writing.
Uru

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #508 on: May 21, 2010, 02:13:53 PM »

Pretty much anything Matsuno has done (play FFT: WotL or VS, it'll change your perspective on how writing should be done in a JRPG), Persona 3 and 4 have excellent writing and localization, and even some 16-bit games like Lufia 2 had simple but decent dialogue (much better than the idiocy from FF13).

On the WRPG front, anything from Bioware (especially their latest games like ME1 & 2, or DA:O) have superb writing. Most people don't even give them bonus points for it anymore because it's such an expected aspect of their games.

I've played all the games you've mentioned and agree with you. As for bioware, nothing less to be expected when the founders are phd's. I dont like it when your main character doesnt talk, so Persona lost some points for me there (Persona 2's main pc talked!). Since we can agree that FF13 had some really bad dialog, are there any current gen "eastern" games with great dialog?
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #509 on: May 21, 2010, 10:44:02 PM »

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn had really good writing, though the ending was a gigantic flop.  Tales of Vesperia had several awkward moments, but as a whole was decent with the delivery.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 53 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: