Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2014, 08:11:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331698 Posts in 13580 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  FINAL FANTASY XIII
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 53 Print
Author Topic: FINAL FANTASY XIII  (Read 92650 times)
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #525 on: May 22, 2010, 02:27:26 PM »

So... Anyone playing it for the 2nd time? I'm currently replaying it (Chapter 2 now). Still having fun with the battle system, still looks beautiful (one my reasons to replay is to see the sceneries), and the story is *slowly* starting to make sense for me.

I've still yet to Platinum it. Slowly but surely, I guess. If I ever do replay it however, I'm tempted to rent the X360 version, just for the hell of it.

Why would you do that?

Why not? It's interesting to see for yourself just how different the two versions are, especially when you have the opportunity to check relatively easily and cheaply.

Well, in a nutshell the 360 has these "problems":

- Compression - It won't be obvious if you've never played the PS3 version (maybe unless you look closely). Unless you compare it with the PS3 version, you'll notice there are blurs within the background (360 version).

- Frame Rate - Chapter 8 and Chapter 11 had unstable frame rates (checked DF, PS3 version stayed 30 fps at these parts, 360 version dipped to 20).

- Lower resolution. (PS3: 1080p for cutscenes, 720p for gameplay. 360: 720p for cutscenes, 576p for gameplay)

All in all, they aren't game breaking (unless you find the frame rate dipping game breaking), but if you want the visually superior game, PS3 all the way.

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #526 on: May 22, 2010, 02:28:56 PM »

Reading about the differences is nice but it's not the same was playing for yourself.
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #527 on: May 22, 2010, 02:44:21 PM »

Reading about the differences is nice but it's not the same was playing for yourself.

You've got a point there.

Have you played the 360 version though?

Uru

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #528 on: May 22, 2010, 04:32:35 PM »

Why climb a mountain when you can take a helicopter? Why bike to work when you can drive? Why eat vegetables when you can eat mcdonalds?

Yeah, totally the same thing. Paying to play an inferior version of a game you already bought and completed is totally in line with those examples.
Forget I asked (tough I didn't ask you or Uru for your enlightening opinions in the first place but whatever).

Whoa man, sorry for posting in an open forum. If it was THAT directed at him, maybe you should have sent a message...

Maybe all the hullabaloo is kinda like the difference between the ps3 and 360 versions of Bayonetta? I only own a ps3 and had friends buy the game for the 360, but the thing is, I didn't really notice anything having only played that version.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #529 on: May 22, 2010, 07:28:18 PM »

Why climb a mountain when you can take a helicopter? Why bike to work when you can drive? Why eat vegetables when you can eat mcdonalds?

Yeah, totally the same thing. Paying to play an inferior version of a game you already bought and completed is totally in line with those examples.
Forget I asked (tough I didn't ask you or Uru for your enlightening opinions in the first place but whatever).

Whoa man, sorry for posting in an open forum. If it was THAT directed at him, maybe you should have sent a message...

Maybe all the hullabaloo is kinda like the difference between the ps3 and 360 versions of Bayonetta? I only own a ps3 and had friends buy the game for the 360, but the thing is, I didn't really notice anything having only played that version.

Oh please, don't play the victim now. Do you want me to thank you for your wise ass comment?

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Uru

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #530 on: May 22, 2010, 09:35:38 PM »

Man, I have no idea why you are so pissy that you feel the need to pick fights on a forum. Im sorry for whatever I said that set you off and I take it all back. Can we please get back to the discussion?
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #531 on: May 22, 2010, 09:40:14 PM »

Oh please, don't play the victim now. Do you want me to thank you for your wise ass comment?

Or you can quit being testy.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #532 on: May 23, 2010, 12:17:27 AM »

I bought the 360 version of the game after finishing FFXIII. Partly to see if the differences people have been talking about were true (which I am sure they're not), but mostly to show support for multisystem releases.

But let's keep being dumbasses here and whining about how other people spend money.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #533 on: May 23, 2010, 12:30:30 AM »

Oh, I forgot to reply to Hoshino!

Have you played the 360 version though?

Nope, and honestly I probably won't unless I can get it for REALLY cheap. If I played FFXIII again it would be after a massive home theater upgrade (new TV, surround set up), and for that purpose the PS3 version is even moreso the better choice.
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #534 on: May 23, 2010, 04:32:48 AM »

SWEET JESUS!!! What strange war have I caused on this thread!?

Anyway, to answer your questions of curiosity, I would wait until the X360 version becomes a cheap weekly rental (therefore, I'm only paying a very very small fee). And plus, I haven't gotten any achievements on the 360 in a long time. And yes, it would be interesting to compare the two.

Please excuse my rather long absence.

....Oh, and yes. I'm quite the rebel. Thanks, Uru.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Jade

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #535 on: May 23, 2010, 06:54:14 AM »

Is anyone going to buy the chinese edition?

PlayStation 3 "FINAL FANTASY XIII Traditional Chinese
Voice - Japanese language
Subtitles, menus - Traditional Chinese / English / Korean
Release date - May 27, 2010

If you plan to re-buy it, this sounds like the version you should get, and it's compatible with your english/ japanese savefiles (so happy the PS3 is region-free)
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #536 on: May 23, 2010, 07:01:05 AM »

SWEET JESUS!!! What strange war have I caused on this thread!?

Anyway, to answer your questions of curiosity, I would wait until the X360 version becomes a cheap weekly rental (therefore, I'm only paying a very very small fee). And plus, I haven't gotten any achievements on the 360 in a long time. And yes, it would be interesting to compare the two.

Please excuse my rather long absence.

....Oh, and yes. I'm quite the rebel. Thanks, Uru.

Thank you. I thought I asked a legitimate question but I'll just admit that I'm the bad guy so we can carry on.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
ULTROS!
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #537 on: May 23, 2010, 02:48:36 PM »

From what I heard/read in Neogaf regarding the Traditional Chinese version. The save files from the Asian version of FFXIII (like mine, Asian English) will work for this version.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 02:50:24 PM by Hoshino_Kid » Logged

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #538 on: May 23, 2010, 04:02:26 PM »

If you plan to re-buy it, this sounds like the version you should get, and it's compatible with your english/ japanese savefiles (so happy the PS3 is region-free)

For a change of pace it'd probably be interesting, but the dub is mostly fantastic so I wouldn't have any need to play it in Japanese. The worst bits probably won't be dulled enough by being in a foreign language like, I imagine, Star Ocean 4.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 04:51:18 PM by Eusis » Logged
Uru

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #539 on: May 23, 2010, 04:17:43 PM »

For a change of pace it'd probably be interesting, but the dub is mostly fantastic so I don't wouldn't any need to play it in Japanese. The worst bits probably won't be dulled enough by being in a foreign language like, I imagine, Star Ocean 4.

Good god man, dont remind me   -_-
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 53 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: