Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 07:19:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319236 Posts in 13035 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  FINAL FANTASY XIII
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 53 Print
Author Topic: FINAL FANTASY XIII  (Read 86646 times)
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #540 on: May 23, 2010, 05:07:20 PM »

The VA is indeed very solid, even if it had a japanese language option I probably wouldn't have used it. Some people want persona 5 to have the japanese VA if it is indeed released on the PS3 but with dubs like the ones we saw in P3&4 I'm really not worried though it would be a nice option to have. Can't say the same for certain other jrpgs though...

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #541 on: May 24, 2010, 08:26:58 AM »

Is anyone going to buy the chinese edition?

PlayStation 3 "FINAL FANTASY XIII Traditional Chinese
Voice - Japanese language
Subtitles, menus - Traditional Chinese / English / Korean
Release date - May 27, 2010

If you plan to re-buy it, this sounds like the version you should get, and it's compatible with your english/ japanese savefiles (so happy the PS3 is region-free)

This is definitively interesting, but since I already got the Jap version, I'd rather wait for the International Edition SE will surely release to make some more money. Probably with new content too.

quote author=CDFN link=topic=7238.msg134546#msg134546 date=1274648840]
The VA is indeed very solid, even if it had a japanese language option I probably wouldn't have used it. Some people want persona 5 to have the japanese VA if it is indeed released on the PS3 but with dubs like the ones we saw in P3&4 I'm really not worried though it would be a nice option to have. Can't say the same for certain other jrpgs though...
[/quote]

Come on, you thought the VA in P3 & P4 were good ? When I bought Persona 4 I waited until "some guys" released the "undubbed version", which is miles better.

I hate when companies try too hard to localize their games. For example in FFXIII the VA is okay, not bad. Not as good as Mass Effect, Uncharted but also not as bad as Star Ocean. But why go through the trouble of changing the music of the game ? It's not just the crap Leona Lewis song, but also the song "Chocobos of Cocoon" they changed the lyrics to english and I felt it didn't end up well.
But I'd much rather they change the lyrics in the song but use the same song, like they did in FFX-2 or Street Fighter 4 than another Leona Lewis move which ruined the end of the game.

daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #542 on: May 24, 2010, 09:07:14 AM »

I thought the VA was just great in P3 and P4. We're playing video games here, not trying to watch an oscar winning drama.
Jade

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #543 on: May 24, 2010, 10:19:42 AM »

I couldn't get into Persona 3/4 because of the English VA.

I don't know. The horrible pronunciation of the names, the Japanese highschool setting... It all dind't help.

I loved FFXII en DQVIII english VA though, probably because of the accents, and liked the VA for the main-cast in Tales of the Abyss, despite that just like the Persona games it is full of anime influences.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 10:21:42 AM by Jade » Logged
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #544 on: May 24, 2010, 01:46:53 PM »

Is anyone going to buy the chinese edition?

PlayStation 3 "FINAL FANTASY XIII Traditional Chinese
Voice - Japanese language
Subtitles, menus - Traditional Chinese / English / Korean
Release date - May 27, 2010

If you plan to re-buy it, this sounds like the version you should get, and it's compatible with your english/ japanese savefiles (so happy the PS3 is region-free)

This is definitively interesting, but since I already got the Jap version, I'd rather wait for the International Edition SE will surely release to make some more money. Probably with new content too.

quote author=CDFN link=topic=7238.msg134546#msg134546 date=1274648840]

Come on, you thought the VA in P3 & P4 were good ? When I bought Persona 4 I waited until "some guys" released the "undubbed version", which is miles better.

I hate when companies try too hard to localize their games. For example in FFXIII the VA is okay, not bad. Not as good as Mass Effect, Uncharted but also not as bad as Star Ocean. But why go through the trouble of changing the music of the game ? It's not just the crap Leona Lewis song, but also the song "Chocobos of Cocoon" they changed the lyrics to english and I felt it didn't end up well.
But I'd much rather they change the lyrics in the song but use the same song, like they did in FFX-2 or Street Fighter 4 than another Leona Lewis move which ruined the end of the game.
[/quote]

Wow man, that's the first time I hear someone say they didn't like P4's dub.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Uru

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #545 on: May 24, 2010, 02:05:48 PM »

I don't know. The horrible pronunciation of the names, the Japanese highschool setting... It all dind't help.

I loved FFXII en DQVIII english VA though, probably because of the accents, and liked the VA for the main-cast in Tales of the Abyss, despite that just like the Persona games it is full of anime influences.

...but the pronunciation of the names was spot on? Maybe you are so use to english VO's incorrect pronunciation, but im pretty sure P4 (havent played P3) was the closest equivalent to a pure translation.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #546 on: May 24, 2010, 02:10:51 PM »

... Most people thought P3 and 4 had a great dub. Did you at least buy P4 before getting it undubbed?
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #547 on: May 24, 2010, 02:50:19 PM »

I'm normally pretty anti-dub, but personally I would rank P4's dub as one of the best I've ever heard in a video game.  I also agree that the pronunciation of the Japanese names, while not perfect, is a heck of a lot better in P4 than in 99% anime dubs I have heard.

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #548 on: May 24, 2010, 04:04:35 PM »

My only problem with dubs are how they can fuck up an entire character. I always use Fran as an example, she goes from this deep sultry character to having a really dumb accent.
Uru

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #549 on: May 24, 2010, 04:07:33 PM »

My only problem with dubs are how they can fuck up an entire character. I always use Fran as an example, she goes from this deep sultry character to having a really dumb accent.

Hey, it could be worse. She could have been part of a cast of cookie cutter, interchangeable clones.........    HEY-O!!!!
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #550 on: May 24, 2010, 04:12:42 PM »

^lmao
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #551 on: May 24, 2010, 07:27:34 PM »

Couldn't have said it better myself!

... Most people thought P3 and 4 had a great dub. Did you at least buy P4 before getting it undubbed?

I did but I already knew what was coming as this scene had already announced it. It didn't take a week for it to be released.
I almost bought the game again in Japan, but it was a little overpriced for a used game.

These bad subs are probably the reason I liked to not have voices in Nocturne and some other RPGs. It's like Jade said, the pronunciation of japanese words are horrible, more like unbearable.

I'm normally pretty anti-dub, but personally I would rank P4's dub as one of the best I've ever heard in a video game.  I also agree that the pronunciation of the Japanese names, while not perfect, is a heck of a lot better in P4 than in 99% anime dubs I have heard.

Just because it's better than garbage doesn't mean it's good, right ? (I'm not being aggressive, just trying to make a point)
With all due respect to anyone who likes it, but about 90% of anime I've seen dubbed from the USA sucks. For years it seemed like they were the same actors over and over, and now, at least there are some other guys but most of them pretty much suck. When one guy does a good job, it seems like all the rest of the cast does what's possible to ruin it.

Fro my country, I'd say about 40% of anime dubs are reasonable or good. Not great, but fair enough. I've seen a few in Italian as a friend of mine lived there and had it in tapes, they were quite alright too, but I can't say more as I'm far from fluent on italian.

My point, why should I bear with crap VA (e.g. Star Ocean 3 and 4) when there are some really good ones, (e.g. FFXII, and even Metal Gears series, since the days of PS1).
I'm not even pointing to Western games VA, because they are made with it in mind, and surely it's easier to get a better VA. But if some japanese games can do it good, or even great, we don't have to put up with crap.

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #552 on: May 24, 2010, 07:46:03 PM »

It's not like Japanese VAs are all that much better. You have pretty much exactly the same voices depending on the character archetype - tomboy, nice girl, badass, pretty boy, evil genius, etc. Some people actively seek out games/anime with VAs they like for some reason. How is this different than English VAs 'all being the same person?'

Uru

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #553 on: May 24, 2010, 07:50:17 PM »

Maybe most people like Japanese VO better than the English counterpart because its usually in a language they don't understand, so it sounds exciting and cool. Kinda like Japan's gross fascination with English, and how anything written in it is super cool or how when they say good bye and want to sound like a bad ass they say, "bye bye". I know for a fact that before I started learning Japanese I thought ANYTHING said in Japanese was the "shit". But after spending a few years learning it and speaking with my Japanese friends, its lost a lot of its appeal to me (in a sense of hearing it in games and anime).

I still think Samurai Champloo and Full Metal Alchemist have the best English VO for anime while Resonance of Fate has it for video games.

Meh, just some thoughts to add.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #554 on: May 24, 2010, 07:51:15 PM »

Code Geass has the best English VA for anime, bar none.

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 53 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: