Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 04:54:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334718 Posts in 13708 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  FINAL FANTASY XIII
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 53 Print
Author Topic: FINAL FANTASY XIII  (Read 93959 times)
Uru

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #555 on: May 24, 2010, 07:53:12 PM »

Code Geass has the best English VA for anime, bar none.

But the story was so...i dunno.... bad? It was all over the place that I couldn't watch it.
Jade

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #556 on: May 24, 2010, 08:14:18 PM »

Anime should always be watched in Japanese, always.

In fact, I watch all my series and movie's in there original language, which is a strange thing in Spain. Another bad thing about dubs is that some things ussually go missing or have nothing with what they are really saying.

I can barely understand Japanese, but even someone like me noticed that  the dub-subs of Valkyria Chronicles didn't match what they where really saying in some scenes.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 08:16:51 PM by Jade » Logged
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #557 on: May 24, 2010, 08:18:34 PM »

Not really.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #558 on: May 24, 2010, 08:22:46 PM »

But best for what way? Cowboy Bebop certainly seemed better to me, but then Code Geass is the champion of unintentional (!?) comedy for anime.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #559 on: May 24, 2010, 08:25:18 PM »

I actually liked the overall VA effort in Code Geass. The main character talked almost like a normal person (as close to a nomral person as an anime character can get anyway), instead of Hamlet with superpowers in the Japanese version. Seriously, it was like he was doing serious overacting in a bad play in Japanese.

Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #560 on: May 24, 2010, 09:02:40 PM »

Except for Super Milk Chan.

I generally don't watch dubbed anime because 1. I like to read, and 2. as Christian Nutt once said on Active Time Babble, there's nothing worse than an American voice actress trying to sound like a Japanese schoolgirl.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #561 on: May 24, 2010, 09:38:58 PM »

I actually liked the overall VA effort in Code Geass. The main character talked almost like a normal person (as close to a nomral person as an anime character can get anyway), instead of Hamlet with superpowers in the Japanese version. Seriously, it was like he was doing serious overacting in a bad play in Japanese.

I know what you mean, but I liked it that way!  Lelouch's entire character is supposed to be overly dramatic.  Come on, he puts on a mask and a cape, calls himself 'Zero', and enjoys nothing more than standing in high places delivering pompous speaches.  It's impossible to take him seriously.  Having a VA that talks like a normal person is not an improvement.

If you actually try to take the show seriously I guess that might be a problem, but I don't think Code Geass is worth taking seriously...

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #562 on: May 24, 2010, 09:52:57 PM »

Nope. There's plenty of legitimate reasons for not wanting to watch it in Japanese with subtitles (wanting to focus on the animation fully, the dub's good), and in some cases it's just more fitting to watch it in English or any other language. Something taking place primarily in the United States or UK is going to make more sense with everyone speaking English rather than Japanese, and similar goes for other countries.

In fact, I watch all my series and movie's in there original language, which is a strange thing in Spain.

I'm curious, but where would you stand on something like spaghetti westerns such as the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly? They take place in America (obviously), they're filmed in Italy, have predominately Italian actors, but the core characters are performed by Americans and everyone speaks their native language when performing with dub overs for Italy/America as necessary.
Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #563 on: May 24, 2010, 10:08:45 PM »

and in some cases it's just more fitting to watch it in English or any other language. Something taking place primarily in the United States or UK is going to make more sense with everyone speaking English rather than Japanese, and similar goes for other countries.

Baccano! came to my mind when I read that. Not only for the location, but also for the fact that the show has a pretty good dub. It's not often that I watch an Anime with dubs, but in that case being open to it lead to a better experience overall. Not simply because of the quality performances, but also because it fit well with the setting.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #564 on: May 24, 2010, 10:12:21 PM »

A point I forgot to mention is that some of these people have stated a preference for watching them in your native language, or at least Hayao Miyazaki did. His movies are generally the only ones I've seen on a semi-reliable basis in both English and Japanese.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #565 on: May 25, 2010, 02:16:48 AM »

Here we go again with the dub vs sub argument. Look, people have their preferences, but there is NO REASON that a game should be lacking multi-lingual VA, especially with Blu-Ray Discs and modern audio compression.
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #566 on: May 25, 2010, 06:02:12 AM »

Here we go again with the dub vs sub argument. Look, people have their preferences, but there is NO REASON that a game should be lacking multi-lingual VA, especially with Blu-Ray Discs and modern audio compression.
This is true, especially with Bluray.

I personally seek to watch movies, play games and the rest always in its original voice, even if I don't understand it. For many reasons but what I consider to be the most important is the fact that the director of the movie (or whatever) wanted it done in that way, many times making the actors record the scene many times, instead of some half done job.

I assume that this concept is hard to grasp for english native speakers because there aren't many things you need to dub, at least when talking about movies, cartoons and rest given that the majority come from the US. But where I'm from it's quite the opposite, so since I was a kid I've been exposed to some really good sub and some unbearable ones.

One funny thing, some famous actors, when dubbing was good here, always had the same VA. Schwarzenegger is one that everybody knows his voice (in the dubbed version) because the guy was good, and it was almost the same. There are movies I know by heart that are dubbed lol.

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #567 on: May 25, 2010, 12:07:59 PM »

This is true, especially with Bluray.

I would take out the 'especially'.  It's probably true with blu-ray, however there are plenty of DVD-based games that have their discs packed to the point where it would be impossible to fit another language track.  NISA has had to cut things in order to have a dual-language option before, and look what they did with Sakura Wars:  A two-disc set, one for each language.  Obviously most companies simply aren't going to bother if that's the only way they can fit it.

ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #568 on: May 27, 2010, 01:43:03 AM »

Alright. Quick question. Where is the best place to grind? At the moment, my characters all have their main three classes maxed, and all have a fourth in Level 1. I'm currently grinding in the little area just before Titan's trials. Is there any better place?

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #569 on: May 27, 2010, 01:54:19 AM »

Sorry, but Death Note is easily the superior one. The potato chip scene alone easily trumps most of Lulu's speeches, no question.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 53 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: