Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 10:01:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334650 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  FINAL FANTASY XIII
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 53 Print
Author Topic: FINAL FANTASY XIII  (Read 93909 times)
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #600 on: June 02, 2010, 06:17:53 PM »

I'm trying out these side quests hunts for now, im surprised how open this area is.

Another question: How do you use yellow circles on the floor to jump?

You need a chocoboo. The game doesn't really explain this well, but if you keep doing the hunts you'll figure it out...
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #601 on: June 02, 2010, 06:31:04 PM »

Ah okay. Is it worth doing the hunts now or should I just come back later? I'm on the C-level challenges.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #602 on: June 02, 2010, 06:55:36 PM »

Ah okay. Is it worth doing the hunts now or should I just come back later? I'm on the C-level challenges.

I recomend doing the c level missions and then completing the game. If you intend to do all the missions do the ones that become teleport stones first (assuming you're strong enough of course). The alternative are chocobos which you should unlock ASAP. Walking will be greatly reduced.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
WildArms
With my dying will...!

Come on, become a legend

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #603 on: June 07, 2010, 09:08:18 AM »

Im loving the game, of course the only problem is the linear part of it, i always feel like going and going, and never stopping, but still... im liking the game with its characters, and the story was kinda dull and confusing at the beginning but now im getting the hang of it, and im liking it.
Oh and i just fought this (spoiler)

Code:
sanctum monk boss dude or w/e, where he transforms into a like big statue with the big face and etc,
this battle was pretty hard, and long, but at the end it was kinda
epic to win, i mean, surviving with lighting those attacks that hit everyone was like hell,
she always ended up in red life, and the curse he put on you when he is weak
(that cant be removed) was like,
OMGWTF IM ABOUT TO KILL YOU FINALLY AND THIS HAPPENS!?, but instead of thinking
i just put everyone to hit like crazy bitches, it was so cool when i won xD

I will beat you with my evil strategy of my evil 1.8 million IQ

add me to psn! the more the merrier!
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #604 on: June 12, 2010, 12:13:46 AM »

I wrapped the game up so I thought I'd post some thoughts:
I thought that the game was more bearable in the earlier chapters. So much shit is going on and theres tons of drama between the characters, I didn't even mind that the whole game was one long hallway with battles.

I thought the player didn't see nearly enough of the world, ESPECIALLY Gran Pulse. Gran Pulse was more desolate than I thought. If there's one section of the game that could be fleshed out, that would be it. The hunts were interesting, but it's ridiculous that they're essentially a boss gauntlet where you have to chase your own tail around a bunch of repetitive areas.

Story-wise the game was OK. The ending was a bit predictable, and I thought they made the main villain a bit too boring and evil. I think throwing in the story element of not knowing what is 'right' or 'wrong' would have fit in wonderfully with this game, but they chose not to go that route. The characters also seemed aimless as hell in the later chapters. With no tension between them besides one character whining, and another character patting them on the back, I thought it got a bit dull. The game definitely peaks story-wise in the first half.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #605 on: June 30, 2010, 04:09:24 PM »

I'm about halfway through this and just wanted to chime in with some hopefully constructive thoughts.

Great soundtrack!

Looks purty.

Snow is kind of a douche.

Vanille has possibly the most annoying voice I've ever heard in a game.

Is this the first time since FF6 we haven't had a creature/non-human of some sort in the party? (I can't remember whether FF8 did or not)

Mixed feelings about the battle system. I prefer the traditional turn based, control all your characters, but I'm used to this now. Seems like an Enix Star Ocean/Tales influence on the game.

However, if you're going to do an automated battle system, the Paradigm system is actually pretty ingenious. Jobs + automation and easy to set up and use. I vastly prefer it to 12's whatever it was called.

Naming *everything* Pulse, Sanctum etc Falcie and L'cie was a bit confusing at first. Could have used a bit of variety there to distinguish A from B.

I don't mind the flashbacks, but I think a little more setup/context at the beginning would have been nice - like showing the scene where Sazh and Lightning are getting on the train. Just could have used some shuffling of the scenes they've produced is all I mean.

There's a lot of implied gaps in the story that are filled in by the summaries of the chapters. For example, I thought Cid and Fang were hunting L'Cie, and suddenly they're on the party's side? There's a bit of text explaining what's going on and what they're motivation was. Why am I reading text for the story when they have all this space on a Blu-Ray?

I get why everyone is complaining about the lack of freedom and how it's on rails, but so far I haven't been too frustrated by it. There's a definite amount of handholding to this game though, especially at the beginning. I guess trying to reach a wider audience means you have to ease them into the game.

Despite the above criticisms, I'm enjoying it overall. Much more than I did FF12. The Purge, the fear/hatred against the L'Cie etc. could be construed as a comment on modern times if you want to see it that way - there's a lotta hate floating around - but I don't think it's trying to be deliberately topical.

Just my two cents.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #606 on: June 30, 2010, 04:36:04 PM »

You will know by end of chapter 10 if you like the game or not...man that chapter sucked ass. It brings back memories of when i was a little brat durring long car drives. ARE WE THERE YET!..... seriously.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #607 on: June 30, 2010, 04:37:23 PM »

Oh that was what I meant to include - I figured Snow would be cool and Hope would get on my nerves. So far, it's kind of the opposite.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #608 on: June 30, 2010, 06:04:09 PM »

Time to fix that.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #609 on: June 30, 2010, 06:48:52 PM »

Time to fix that.

oh god i want to vomit my face out of my ears now

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #610 on: June 30, 2010, 07:38:24 PM »

What IS that thing? Did she suffer throat damage as a child? Who talks like that?

Does a director sit these actors down and say "Do the squeakiest, nails-on-a-chalkboard voice you can manage. That is how I want this character to be portrayed."

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #611 on: June 30, 2010, 07:42:29 PM »

What IS that thing? Did she suffer throat damage as a child? Who talks like that?

Does a director sit these actors down and say "Do the squeakiest, nails-on-a-chalkboard voice you can manage. That is how I want this character to be portrayed."

Yeah.  Amazing how the rest of the cast is quite on par... but then you hear Farleen, and wonder that it likely *must* have been a conscious decision.

Vanille isn't bad.  It's just her random squeaking throughout battles that annoys me.  I found her a good character though.... at least until I realised all the characters could pretty much do the same thing.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #612 on: June 30, 2010, 07:46:26 PM »

sounds like someone who was feed helium, then told told to hold their nose and say their lines. oh god was that painful.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #613 on: June 30, 2010, 08:44:29 PM »

It's probably this actually. The actress did a similar type of role in Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex for the Tachikomas, yet I wasn't bugged by them that much for some reason.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #614 on: June 30, 2010, 08:46:33 PM »

It's probably this actually. The actress did a similar type of role in Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex for the Tachikomas, yet I wasn't bugged by them that much for some reason.

That's why I say it was a questionably retarded, clearly conscious decision.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 53 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: