Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2014, 03:57:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327938 Posts in 13428 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  FINAL FANTASY XIII
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 53 Print
Author Topic: FINAL FANTASY XIII  (Read 90961 times)
bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #630 on: July 01, 2010, 07:13:18 PM »

I was never fond of Yuna.  SHe had the soft, sweet voice... but she also sounded like she was new to the language.

Yuna was absolute rubbish.

Vanille had some butchered Australian accent, as did Fang.

Edit: Oh god are you Australian Dice

this changes many things

thats odd, the English VA for Vanille is Australian so how can she butcher her own accent....
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 07:18:29 PM by bigdeath » Logged
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #631 on: July 01, 2010, 07:45:27 PM »

Some Americans have told me I don't sound "Scottish" enough, because of what impression of my accent they have heard on tv and are only satisfied if I impersonate Sean Connery or something.

So I imagine the director has told her to embellish her own accent a little to live up to peoples expectations. It just ended up being annoying. If she really DOES sound like that - I never, ever want to meet her.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #632 on: July 01, 2010, 08:10:39 PM »

she has her own kids show and she does sound like that when she talks in a kid's voice. She really didn't chance how she sounds.

So you just hate her voice, which is fine.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 08:14:20 PM by bigdeath » Logged
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #633 on: July 02, 2010, 12:54:04 AM »

There's the possibility that playing certain types of characters make it more tolerable, even though it's not actually a different voice. The Tachikomas are excessively cheerful, and despite being walking tanks it somehow works out, and I imagine that voice on an energetic kid would actually work out. Farleen is a grown woman, one that looks like she might've been sedated at that, with fairly mundane lines and an unremarkable personality, yet somehow sounds like that.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 12:31:47 AM by Eusis » Logged
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #634 on: July 02, 2010, 01:02:50 AM »

It's full of great points. I like how he defined the resource management and exploring dungeons when people argued linearity.

And you can't argue about "Mash Button > Paradigm Shift > Mash Button > Paradigm Shift > Mash Button > Paradigm Shift > Mash Button > Paradigm Shift > Mash Button > Paradigm Shift >"

No, you can't argue that you're right. To be fair though, pretty much every RPG is button mashing of some kind in a battle whether it's more active battle systems like Tales, Star Ocean or FF13 or whether you're just battling every five fucking seconds like in Skies of Arcadia or Suikoden IV.

What I mean is, I think he's criticising FFXIII for something that other RPGs are just as guilty of.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #635 on: July 02, 2010, 03:30:04 AM »

It's full of great points. I like how he defined the resource management and exploring dungeons when people argued linearity.

And you can't argue about "Mash Button > Paradigm Shift > Mash Button > Paradigm Shift > Mash Button > Paradigm Shift > Mash Button > Paradigm Shift > Mash Button > Paradigm Shift >"

No, you can't argue that you're right. To be fair though, pretty much every RPG is button mashing of some kind in a battle whether it's more active battle systems like Tales, Star Ocean or FF13 or whether you're just battling every five fucking seconds like in Skies of Arcadia or Suikoden IV.

What I mean is, I think he's criticising FFXIII for something that other RPGs are just as guilty of.

You CAN make that accusation, but at least other JRPGs feel more interactive with their battle systems, and aren't some type of queueing of attacks like a D&D game from the 90s.

When I play a good RPG, I am thinking carefully of what to do, when to heal, what spells to use, etc. Not all RPGs are so in depth, but that element does exist. A game should not be praised when you button mash the whole way through 50 hours.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #636 on: July 02, 2010, 04:56:23 AM »

Oops, I forgot a comma in my post. I meant to say "You can't argue that, you're right."

However, you can also argue that every RPG has button mashing at some point. There are times when you're grinding and just going through the motions and not really thinking about what you're doing.

On the one hand, he has a point. On the other hand, you could take his basic criticisms about the battle system and apply it to a lot of other RPGs. To single out one game for this flaw isn't quite fair.

Uru

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #637 on: July 02, 2010, 01:52:50 PM »

Oops, I forgot a comma in my post. I meant to say "You can't argue that, you're right."

However, you can also argue that every RPG has button mashing at some point. There are times when you're grinding and just going through the motions and not really thinking about what you're doing.

On the one hand, he has a point. On the other hand, you could take his basic criticisms about the battle system and apply it to a lot of other RPGs. To single out one game for this flaw isn't quite fair.

Im just curious now, why are you speaking to a mythical third person when you both are talking to each other?
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #638 on: July 02, 2010, 03:21:47 PM »

I know what you mean man, but FF13 just makes it feel so god damn repetitive. I didnt mind the battle system for the first 15 hours or so, but god damn by the end I was begging for the game to finish.

Im just curious now, why are you speaking to a mythical third person when you both are talking to each other?

We're talking about the guy in the article who wrote about how bad FF13 is.

Uru

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #639 on: July 02, 2010, 03:25:21 PM »

ok, now THAT makes sense
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #640 on: July 02, 2010, 11:55:38 PM »

I know what you mean man, but FF13 just makes it feel so god damn repetitive. I didnt mind the battle system for the first 15 hours or so, but god damn by the end I was begging for the game to finish.

Yeah, I totally get where you're coming form. I haven't really found it repetitive...yet. I actually think the Paradigm system works well in that everyone has a specific job, but on the other hand, every character has pretty much the same skills.

The only time I've gotten bored so far was when I had to do a bit of grinding before fighting Sazh's summon - Brunhilda or whatever it's called. As long as I'm moving forward in the story, I'm okay with it. I can see why you'd get bored though.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #641 on: July 03, 2010, 03:06:44 PM »

Actually, say what you will about FFXIII's battle system - it's still better than Legend of Dragoon's.

Uru

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #642 on: July 03, 2010, 05:23:12 PM »

Actually, say what you will about FFXIII's battle system - it's still better than Legend of Dragoon's.

To each his own. Im a sucker for timed button presses (Dart's Madness Hero or whatever makes my mouth salivate). I think I would have like XIII's battle system a lot more if you could have turned off those stupid poses that usually end up killing you.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #643 on: July 03, 2010, 05:31:11 PM »

you know, FF13 could have had a cool battle system if they just mixed in turn based ATB style combat with the paradigm shifting

holy shit

would have been awesome and amounted to more than button mashing and shifting
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #644 on: July 03, 2010, 06:14:43 PM »

I agree. Then I could also have controlled the other members of the party, which I enjoy.

But, whatevs. Square Enix are really going on a kick right now to find the fastest ATB system yet. I have lost count the amount of times I've heard them describe something as their fastest yet.

Fast = fun, now? Wouldn't it be nice if the battle system was fun, but also could be fast? They never say it's the most enjoyable system, just the fastest.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 53 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: