Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 12:43:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332848 Posts in 13639 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  FINAL FANTASY XIII
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 53 Print
Author Topic: FINAL FANTASY XIII  (Read 93127 times)
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #675 on: September 21, 2010, 06:31:03 AM »

My biggest problem with the audio in FF13 was the balance. One of the best soundtracks in the series, and they completely BURIED it because they thought it more important to hear all the clinks and bangs! I've never more wanted a "sound settings" preferences, where I could adjust audio levels. If I was Hamouzu, I would have have been really upset. After listening to the OST for a few weeks before playing, I was truly shocked. First time Snow's theme comes in (the badass industrial metal theme), I could barely hear it.

Seriously, voice acting is starting to kill game music.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #676 on: September 21, 2010, 07:11:35 AM »

Not much of a loss. Final Fantasy XIII's music is terrible.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #677 on: September 21, 2010, 07:18:57 AM »

Aww, you *can't* go wrong with the boss theme, battle theme, and Yashas Massif!  That fusion jazz makes me feel better each time it loops haha

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #678 on: September 21, 2010, 07:21:05 AM »

I think the boss theme fits well enough, and just passable enough to be on my MP3 playlist. I really can't see what everyone finds so great about the normal battle music though. It just sounds so subdued and flat compared to previous games.

Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #679 on: September 21, 2010, 07:25:18 AM »

Because it's FINAL FANTASY 13!!!!
FFXIII is one of those games that I want to play, but don't want to play. I'm not into the convoluted and super emo anime drama story. But on the other hand the gameplay looks cool. It is one of those games that I might just watch a boss battle on youtube instead of playing.
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #680 on: September 21, 2010, 10:04:28 AM »

I remember when all the rage was about XII and I do have a lot of complains about XII, and there were some people trying to defend it while a lot more bashed it, and now I see myself on the other side of the table. I loved this game and sure good production values have a big impact on it but I like for a lot more reasons than that. Although I have to agree that it being streamlined was a bad choice in some aspects in others I think it was fine.

The music for me in this game was probably the best in the series but that's not much because I loved every single entry OST except for IX.

About the audio balance Prime Mover is talking about, in the japanese version there's no problem in it. This may have been another poor localization job.

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #681 on: September 21, 2010, 10:08:41 AM »

I'm worried that production values are what hindered it from being a more typical RPG (FF-esque) experience... why, instead of areas, we're walking pathways instead (because they're just that much easier). Towns were apparently too hard to make (a shame; I did like that one town-dungeon...)

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #682 on: September 21, 2010, 12:02:19 PM »

I think the boss theme fits well enough, and just passable enough to be on my MP3 playlist. I really can't see what everyone finds so great about the normal battle music though. It just sounds so subdued and flat compared to previous games.

I thought it was decent but it got really dull by the end of the game. The best part is when the violins kick in full force.

Farron you bring great shame to these forums. How can you like such shitty characters, such simplistic gameplay, such lack of a heart and soul? Laughable villains, a cheap JRPG cop-out final boss, pitiful clicehd characters and character development..

Then again I may have enjoyed this game if I had never played a good RPG before and I had just come from Call of Duty 5 or something.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #683 on: September 21, 2010, 12:21:03 PM »

I thought it was decent but it got really dull by the end of the game. The best part is when the violins kick in full force.

That'd be because, if you're going for platinum, you're going to hear to 103,845 times...

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #684 on: September 21, 2010, 01:21:40 PM »

That'd be because, if you're going for platinum, you're going to hear to 103,845 times...

You have to be one masochistic fuck to play that game to Platinum. I never put it back in my console once the end credits rolled.
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #685 on: September 21, 2010, 06:31:03 PM »

Farron you bring great shame to these forums. How can you like such shitty characters, such simplistic gameplay, such lack of a heart and soul? Laughable villains, a cheap JRPG cop-out final boss, pitiful clicehd characters and character development..

Then again I may have enjoyed this game if I had never played a good RPG before and I had just come from Call of Duty 5 or something.

Don't give me that look (I know you're giving a suspicious look hehe). Really, can I really be blamed for liking a game ?
Well, characters, it's kind of like a hit of miss right ? I for example like more the characters in XIII than in VI which I can say the ones I really liked were Terra and Edgar and yet VI is still awesome. I only didn't like 1 character and liked all others, a thing that nor VII nor X (my favorites) managed to do.

The "simplistic gameplay" is controversial because fro my standpoint Dragon Quest gameplay is simplistic. There are people that like it and people that don't.
As I see, XIII has a fast paced gameplay, with less exploring, sure but in exchange of a momentum that doesn't go dull; best combat system in the series as you have to think really fast and react fast; best soundtrack with a lot of genres of music; good characters with a so so story and a very weak end game (now I can't deny). Does the things in it that could've been better make it crap for me ? Absolutely no!

Don't get me wrong, you can hate the game for all I care, but maybe you got more disappointed because what you expect it to be turned out to be something different.

Just to make myself clear, if you play Oblivion of Fallout 3 what do you expect ? An open game with lots of things to do, right ? How about the Atelier series ? A lot of item making and all. Final Fantasy ? Well, how can you be so sure they change a lot of things with each entry.

Once again, don't get me wrong, I can completely understand why you hate the game if it's not what you expect. When I go watch a movie I truly don't mind when I go to see something and it ends up being something else but I kinda hate it when it happens in games.

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #686 on: September 21, 2010, 07:35:15 PM »

The only things I expected from FFXIII was that it would look pretty, have good music, and be fun.

Well, I guess two out of three ain't bad.  Except when the third is the most important.

Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #687 on: September 23, 2010, 12:53:35 AM »

Your opinion, I thought XIII's best feature was its music,lol.

Currently Playing-Xenoblade Chronicles
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #688 on: September 23, 2010, 01:48:47 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4h1tf1kPvg

Best song in the game.
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #689 on: September 23, 2010, 06:37:17 PM »

^ Yes :)

Currently Playing-Xenoblade Chronicles
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 53 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: