Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 12:54:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330135 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  FINAL FANTASY XIII
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 53 Print
Author Topic: FINAL FANTASY XIII  (Read 92083 times)
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #720 on: October 09, 2010, 10:58:29 PM »

Okay unless this discussion is about FF13 I am afraid I will have to close this thread, please move it to the Sound Room.

PS Nobuo rulez
PotRoast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #721 on: October 10, 2010, 01:12:56 AM »

I'd say the top 3 soundtracks for the FF series go to 6, 12, and 13. I think I'd have better things to say about 13's soundtrack if I played it as much as I have played 6 and 12. If only I liked the game more (and yes, I do like it) this would happen. Uematsu has done some good work, but the replacements are definitely moving things along quite well. I wouldn't say the series is worse off without him.

Off the top of my head, I really liked the Intro to FF13, the chocobo theme, and another one I can't seem to find on youtube (don't know the track name)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-3Wap9nzK0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDwAN90MKTo

I REALLY like the chocobo theme. Probably my favorite track in the whole game.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #722 on: October 10, 2010, 02:27:04 PM »

I hated FF12s soundtrack, it was so boring. The thing I like about video game music over film music, is a lot of it is a lot more forward and is able to call attention to itself, which makes it listenable on its own. FF12 was just boring conservative background music. I could write better arrangements then that in my sleep. No power, no drama, and no melodies. FF8 and FF9 are incredibly strong in my book (FF9 has some crappers, but the majority is great). I'd say, in no particular order

FF6 - symphonic in nature, high drama, high tension, great melodies
FF8 - amazing progrock, lots of really driving stuff
FF9 - orchestral with a lot of renaissance and ethnic overtones, really different for Uematsu, very strong
FF13 - melodic minimalism, if there is such a thing. Very John Adams. Great riffs/ostinatos, souring melodies

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
PotRoast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #723 on: October 10, 2010, 08:14:36 PM »

I hated FF12s soundtrack, it was so boring. The thing I like about video game music over film music, is a lot of it is a lot more forward and is able to call attention to itself, which makes it listenable on its own. FF12 was just boring conservative background music. I could write better arrangements then that in my sleep. No power, no drama, and no melodies. FF8 and FF9 are incredibly strong in my book (FF9 has some crappers, but the majority is great). I'd say, in no particular order

FF9 - orchestral with a lot of renaissance and ethnic overtones, really different for Uematsu, very strong
FF13 - melodic minimalism, if there is such a thing. Very John Adams. Great riffs/ostinatos, souring melodies

Are you joking? You think FF12 is boring conservative background music but think FF9's soundtrack is incredibly strong? I've had a lot trouble playing through FF9 and I think a big reason for it is how incredibly drab its soundtrack is. It just makes me not want to play the game at times (e.g. Mist Continent). FF12 does a great job placing an image in my head about what should be going on. Are we in a field? A forest? Is it calm and peaceful? Is something mysterious or scary going on? I don't have to be playing the game and I get a vivid image.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #724 on: October 10, 2010, 09:04:53 PM »

Are you joking? You think FF12 is boring conservative background music but think FF9's soundtrack is incredibly strong? I've had a lot trouble playing through FF9 and I think a big reason for it is how incredibly drab its soundtrack is. It just makes me not want to play the game at times (e.g. Mist Continent). FF12 does a great job placing an image in my head about what should be going on. Are we in a field? A forest? Is it calm and peaceful? Is something mysterious or scary going on? I don't have to be playing the game and I get a vivid image.

This is one of those rare occasions where I agree with Prime Mover.  FFXII's music was remarkably boring.  There is less than a handful of songs that I can think of that stood out.  Giza Plains was the best song in the game, and that doesn't stand up to compositions like Evasion or Debris from Radiant Silvergun, a freaking shooter that had a much more powerful score.  Sakimoto's music is way more miss than hit.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #725 on: October 10, 2010, 10:05:15 PM »

Final Fantasy XII was a boring game. in fact, I fell asleep while I was playing the damn thing. True story.

Symphonic Poem "Hope" was the best track from the soundtrack though.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #726 on: October 10, 2010, 11:27:46 PM »

This is one of those rare occasions where I agree with Prime Mover.  FFXII's music was remarkably boring.  There is less than a handful of songs that I can think of that stood out.  Giza Plains was the best song in the game, and that doesn't stand up to compositions like Evasion or Debris from Radiant Silvergun, a freaking shooter that had a much more powerful score.  Sakimoto's music is way more miss than hit.
[/size]

I agree-- FF12 I think suffered from waaaay too fucking many compositions, making too much pressure to create a SHITLOAD of good songs, if you know what I mean.  I know it shouldn't be an excuse, but creativity can dry up.
There were a few *amazing* tracks (the boss battle is incredibly dramatic), but otherwise... they even managed to make the Chocobo theme boring.
Ah let's do it...

FFIV - the first real FF to me.  Classic tunes, and I gotta say the way they were remastered for the DS was awesome and exposed how great the themes are.
FFV - a step back, IMO, but there are a few tracks that stand out as the best in the entire FF series.  Dear Friends is a wonderful track and Squeenix never lives down the Clash on the Big Bridge tune.  The overworlds were great as well.
FFVI - wonderful wonderful wonderful.  We had a great balance of themes of ones that match an opressive government, but never neglects a great happy or dramatic piece.  I'm pretty sure we ALL loved playing the Magitek Factory. ;)
FFVII - Good I guess... While an "epic" soundtrack for an epic game, I actually found this OST suffered too many sad and depressing tracks.  I hate the latter half of the overworld theme, and when the meteor is revealed we have the honour of listening to the most wrist-slitting tune I've ever heard.  Anxious Heart opposes it, and although depressing, suits the environment.  Many great "mystery tunes" here and utilized the best of it's environments.
FFVIII - meeeehhhh.  Great tracks are weakened by the slew of witch-tracks, where we get a series of notes in a tough harpsichord.  A few lovely tracks, but this also started a bad trend of FF's that take the tune of the ending song and rework theme is 9 different ways.  Great battle themes, though.  The progressive rock stylings of the final bosses were awesome - a few surprising tunes here too.
FFIX - I loved this one.  Nothing complex, but always suitable for every environment.  The main theme and renaissance tones worked beautifully.  A few silly tracks too, but I find character themes suited the individual well.
FFX - amazing; oddly enough I found Uematsu the weakest of the 3 composers; Hamazu and Nakano (?) stole the show.  Suitable, pretty, different.   FFX-2 was great too for the most part, and had probably one of the best main-themes of the series.
FFXII - meh.  See above.
FFXIII - I love Hamazu, I am bias. 

.... hmmm.  Do you think FF's at all suffer from just too many tracks?  It's impossible to make EVERY track AMAZING (except Nier, lol), sometimes you just need to suit the environment and atmosphere, not so much create a melodic masterpiece.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #727 on: October 11, 2010, 02:13:08 AM »

FFXIII's Post-Mortem (Gamasutra): http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=409841

WHAT WENT WRONG

1) LACK OF A SHARED VISION - Final Fantasy XIII was first introduced through a concept trailer shown alongside the announcement of the Fabula Nova Crystallis project at E3 2006 (Fabula Nova Crystallis represents a suite of games and other entertainment media related to Final Fantasy XIII). The trailer was merely a visual concept and we had not yet created anything playable at that point.

<snip>

2) THE UNIVERSAL ENGINE AND NARROWING DOWN THE SPECS - Another issue was the universal engine. Because we were so focused on creating an engine for next-gen hardware that could be utilized across all platforms, we made the mistake of trying to accommodate every single project that was in progress at the time. In hindsight, it should have been obvious that it would be impossible to fully satisfy all of those needs.

<snip>

3) GETTING STARTED ANYWAY - As all of this was going on, the staff involved directly with the actual data construction had no choice but to start working before the specs were finalized. Their main concern was that they could not be able to keep up with the schedule if they continued to wait for final decisions.

<snip>

4) THE LIMITS OF THE TRADITIONAL TEAM STRUCTURE - As the project's scope increased, the traditional development style of dividing the team into specified roles, such as character modelers or texture artists, started to present issues as well. This problem of over-specialization presented itself in each discipline. The biggest problem was that the project became bloated with the increase in staff within each department. And because roles were so specific, the communication flow became faulty and information was not being shared properly.

<snip>

5) INTERNATIONAL PLAYER TESTS THAT CAME TOO LATE - Even before the current generation of consoles was introduced, it was obvious that the game market of the West was gaining momentum, and we couldn't ignore it. The sentiment that stood out the most to us at the time was the increasingly harsh criticism towards JRPGs, Linearity and command-based battles were tow of the features being perceived negatively. This was something that the team was very conscious about, and there were concerns about whether JRPGs would still be accepted in the West. Because Final Fantasy XIII's mission was to succeed worldwide, we could not ignore this issue, as we felt it could deeply affect the future of the franchise.

Around the same time, we were experimenting with Western development methods, and there were talks within the team of global focus groups, which we had rarely conducted with previous projects. At the same time, Square Enix set up international focus groups for certain titles, including Final Fantasy XIII. Unfortunately, we were already quite far along in development, and knew it would be too late to implement most of the feedback from the player test sessions.

<snip>

WHAT WENT RIGHT

1) REALIZING A SHARED VISION THROUGH THE DEMO - Even at a late stage of development, we did not agree on key elements of the game, which stemmed from the lack of a cohesive vision, the lack of finalized specs, and the remaining problems with communication between departments,

What enabled us to conquer this line of seemingly endless conflicts fwas the development process for the Final Fantasy XIII demo, which was included in the Japan-only Blu-ray version of the animate film Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete. The demo was not in our original plan, so we had to make adjustments to overall schedule to accommodate it. Whatever effects creating the demo had on the schedule, once it was complete we realize it was just he panacea we needed.

<snip>

2) CLARIFICATION OF ELEMENTS AND PROCESSES THROUGH DEVELOPING THE DEMO - The demo brought together all data, development of which was previously uncoordinated, clarifying many elements and significant speeding up the process of determining the remaining specs.

<snip>

3) CREATING THE LOCATION MANAGER ROLE - Although the schedule was now working, we began to realize that we were unable to keep up with the sharing of information within the traditional team structure. On order to resolve the issue, we created a new role that did not exist in our traditional development environment the location manager, who would function to bridge the gap between different departments.

<snip>

4) RESOLVING THE UNIVERSAL ENGINE DILEMMA - The issue with the universal engine was seen as something that would affect the progress of all related projects within the company, and in the end, it was decided that the needs of the flagship title, Final Fantasy XIII should come first and foremost.

<snip>

5) NARROWING DOWN POLISHING POINTS THROUGH FOCUS GROUPS - Through the focus group we conducted (mentioned in the "wrong" section), we found that, contrary to expectations, the game was received very well by Western players. Also, both Japanese and Western players place emphasis on the story and battles, meaning that the style we focused on with Final Fantasy XIII was accepted after all.

<snip>

The conclusion to the postmortem is very simple. I learned that we must first create something tangible and playable to share a game's concept and confirm the actual specifications to create an environment in which precise decisions function within the process. Only then can you proceed with the development of such immense amounts of data. Furthermore, up until this point, we had taken a very traditionally Japanese "Square Enix method" based on individual craftsmanship. Now we are trying to incorporate as much as possible form the development style of studios overseas into our system.

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

MindCandy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #728 on: October 11, 2010, 10:43:22 AM »

What went right: it's pretty
What went wrong: everything else

I honestly can't remember a single song from that soundtrack, but maybe, just maybe that's because the game was so bad there's nothing good to associate the music with.

Currently playing:
Xbox 360 - NIER
Wii - Metroid Prime 2: Echos (trilogy version)
PSP - Disgaea
DS - SMT: Devil Survivor
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #729 on: October 11, 2010, 11:50:39 AM »

FF13 headed somewhere people didn't want to go.

EDIT:
Actually, here's  something I've been pondering.

As gamers, do you prefer a:
- No town approach (FF13)
- Quick travel towns (Recettear, Estrian Odyssey, Izuna)
- Small town, one line NPC town (ff4,ff5,ff6)
- Big town, one line NPC town (ff12)
- Big town, programmed behavior NPC town (Radiata Stories, Fallout3 for the behavior part)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 12:15:56 PM by Annubis » Logged
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #730 on: October 11, 2010, 01:07:51 PM »

In FF13's case,  I would have loved a "break area" free from fighting that doesn't give me cutscenes, where the other half I had to read in the game's encyclopedia.  I wouldn't care if town's were small, or little to do.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #731 on: October 11, 2010, 01:59:59 PM »

In FF13's case,  I would have loved a "break area" free from fighting that doesn't give me cutscenes, where the other half I had to read in the game's encyclopedia.  I wouldn't care if town's were small, or little to do.

I was disappointed when I reached the bottom of Pulse and saw Vanille's village.I was hoping to meet villagers or see some heart warming cut-scenes.Nope,more monsters.

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #732 on: October 11, 2010, 09:05:17 PM »

I was disappointed when I reached the bottom of Pulse and saw Vanille's village.I was hoping to meet villagers or see some heart warming cut-scenes.Nope,more monsters.

FINALLY WE REACH GRAN PULSE, THE ENORMOUS GINORMOPLANET BENEATH OUR FLOATING MOON

*Walks through a bunch of fields and a abandoned town*

..fuck
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #733 on: January 13, 2011, 05:26:46 PM »

News (or somewhat a rumor) - Final Fantasy XII-2 may be on it's way
It appears Square Enix has registered the domain for Final Fantasy XIII-2. This isn't a rumor but if there will be in fact a sequel to FFXIII we can't be sure, but if there will be, this is a sign.

Source IGN

What do you guys think ?
I'm actually excited, even if a good number of people were displeased with FFXIII, it will be a new game and since the engine, characters and a lot of stuff is already done, they could put the things most of us wanted in the game, like towns, NPCs, minigames, etc.

edit: I just a there was a thread about it, and I did search... I guess I was too late. Nevermidn this then.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 05:30:47 PM by Farron » Logged

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #734 on: January 13, 2011, 05:40:28 PM »

You searched? The thread has been at the top of the first page since it was created lol.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 53 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: