Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 27, 2014, 05:17:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329731 Posts in 13517 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  is this a bs excuse for not having females in war games?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: is this a bs excuse for not having females in war games?  (Read 11704 times)
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2010, 08:02:05 PM »

that is probally born from my hyper competative nature. however this time i'm not on a feminist rant. i dont care if games like call of duty have females characters or not. the issue here is that the guy made up some bullshit excuse instead of just being real with it. nintendo does the same thing when adressing hardcore gamers.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2010, 08:09:45 PM »

I think she really does have a good point here.  That is a completely BS excuse and they all know it.  What it boils down to though is the people that do care aren't speaking loud enough and the people that don't care are too busy playing to even notice that anyone cares.  And the people that don't care is such a large group that these companies won't be hurt if they ignore those people that don't care.
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2010, 08:56:57 PM »

What it boils down to though is the people that do care aren't speaking loud enough and the people that don't care are too busy playing to even notice that anyone cares.  And the people that don't care is such a large group that these companies won't be hurt if they ignore those people that don't care.

Pretty much.  It's kind of sad, but at the end of the day as long as the intended audience is happy, everyone else is mostly irrelevant.  The vocal majority is quick to snuff out opposition when it comes to issues like this.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2010, 09:09:17 PM »

I think the real issue with putting female characters in games isn't that it'd take to long to model them. Rather, you'd have to like, program in new code to make sure that female characters had all these disadvantages (notably, with driving and aiming) to be in line with the realistic nature of these games. You also have to emulate pregnancy on top of all that. THEN you've got to re-balance everything. Frankly, it's just not worth it.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2010, 09:23:06 PM »

Rather, you'd have to like, program in new code to make sure that female characters had all these disadvantages (notably, with driving and aiming) to be in line with the realistic nature of these games. You also have to emulate pregnancy on top of all that. THEN you've got to re-balance everything. Frankly, it's just not worth it.

Or instead of going the realistic route, you could just make them interchangeable genders like every other genre out there...

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2010, 10:15:08 PM »

Genders aren't really interchangeable without heavy surgery, although I guess they could introduce a new character class for handling that.

I'm sick of classes in my FPSes though.

o/` I do not dream o/`

daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2010, 12:37:16 PM »

Has anyone ever sat down and said, "Man this game would be better with female soldiers". Plus, based on the fallout with RE5, I'm sure there would be lots of outcrying about killing women in combat.
Alisha

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2010, 07:36:02 PM »

maybe not better but more interesting.

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2010, 10:28:45 PM »

They should make a WW2 game where you can play as women "On the Home Front" and like, you have to garden and cook and how well you tend your Liberty Garden gives bonuses to the people playing men.

o/` I do not dream o/`

CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2010, 12:59:04 AM »

I couldn't care less about the lack of female soldiers in video games. I understand that it reflects on some unequal ratio of women in service IRL (or something like that) but I'm not big on drafting women into wars anyway.

Also don't really care if creators aren't "real" about their reasons. It'd be nice if they were, I guess, though they probably don't want the bother of having to deal with over-sensitive observers. Honestly, there are other things I'd rather think about.

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2010, 09:06:49 AM »

maybe not better but more interesting.

If the game's interest depends on the gender of the characters involved, it probably isn't a very interesting game to begin with.
Alisha

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2010, 07:32:15 PM »

its interest doesnt depend on that but it can enhance my interest. i dont think its a coincidence that my favorite RE game is code veronica.

CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2010, 09:58:08 PM »

Yeah, that ain't a coincidence. It's just bad taste. :P

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2010, 10:04:21 PM »

I'm not big on drafting women into wars anyway.
Why not?

They can fire a gun and drive a car as well as any man. In fact I fear a woman behind the wheel more than I do a man.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2010, 10:12:55 PM »

but I'm not big on drafting women into wars anyway.

To be fair drafting ANYONE into wars short of an absolute emergency is kind of awful anyway.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: