Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2014, 06:15:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329357 Posts in 13491 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  xenosaga 3 question
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: xenosaga 3 question  (Read 2913 times)
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« on: March 08, 2010, 07:47:26 PM »

chaos = jesus?

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 07:58:02 PM »

More or less.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 08:52:55 PM »

Chaos is referred to as "Yeshua" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yeshua_(name)

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 08:58:03 PM »

Which is Aramaic for Jesus.

Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 10:46:16 PM »

chaos died for your sins.  And probably took a few people with him in the process.

Seriously, I stopped trying to match religious references in Xenosaga after the second game.  It just made my brain hurt.

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 11:23:47 PM »

Jesus was a creepy shota bot?

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 02:38:34 AM »

Jesus takes fashion advice from David Bowie.
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 03:33:23 AM »

Seriously, I stopped trying to match religious references in Xenosaga after the second game.  It just made my brain hurt.

I didn't bother linking that until the third game, at which point they sort of went overboard with it all.  It was obvious in particular that KOS-MOS would have a more substantial role...but I NEVER would have guessed her identity.   

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 06:55:48 AM »

Jesus lived his life in a cheap hotel on the edge of route 66, yeah!
He lived a dark and twisted life and then he came right back just to do it again.
     -White Zombie (from the song Supercharger Heaven)

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Texcap

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 05:03:37 PM »

I don't know that I'd ponder too much on just who Chaos was in the grand scheme of things given some of the convoluted explanations to be had in Xenosaga (though they were fun convoluted explanations to be sure), and it's been awhile since I've played it, but wasn't Chaos in the crowd in the flashback of Jesus teaching the multitudes in Jerusalem?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 05:05:27 PM by Texcap » Logged

Fortiter -- Per Mare Per Terras!
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 05:33:40 PM »

I thought he was one of the apostoles because of the flashback Texcap mentioned. I don't remember too well though.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 06:22:31 PM »

I thought he was one of the apostoles because of the flashback Texcap mentioned. I don't remember too well though.

Just pulling some random BS from the Xenosaga wiki, most of the discrepancies are due to the fact the game uses the Gnostic version of Christianity and chaos is the human incarnation of Anima/Jesus and that in the messianic period chaos was the human Jesus/disciple/prophet while there was a divine Jesus too and Mary saved chaos but not the divine Jesus because life's convenient that way.  Honestly, I wouldn't put too much thought into it because it's all nonsensical.

http://xenosaga.wikia.com/wiki/Chaos

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2010, 08:33:10 AM »

Just pulling some random BS from the Xenosaga wiki, most of the discrepancies are due to the fact the game uses the Gnostic version of Christianity and chaos is the human incarnation of Anima/Jesus and that in the messianic period chaos was the human Jesus/disciple/prophet while there was a divine Jesus too and Mary saved chaos but not the divine Jesus because life's convenient that way.  Honestly, I wouldn't put too much thought into it because it's all nonsensical.

Oh... didn't know about that. I'll just stop thinking about it, that's probably better.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2010, 11:21:15 PM »

Oh... didn't know about that. I'll just stop thinking about it, that's probably better.

y'all are being sissies. "It's too convoluted/nonsensical" ...? I'm sorry. But this is BASIC Gnostic Christianity. I mean, take a freaking "origins of Christianity 101" course (I'm sure free course material exists online). Jesus and Christ are two different individuals, two different identities. Yeshua, of course, is the dude we call "Jesus" by his real name, and the "human" entity according to gnostics. See, "orthodox" Christians believe Jesus to be fully man and fully god: "theos anthropas." Gnostic Christianity, particularly in the 2nd and 3rd centuries, taught that there was a "Jesus" figure who was man, and a "Christ" figure who was God ... anything you find convoluted about that, you can no longer blame on Tetsuya Takahashi. Blame the Gnostics. But anyway, that certainly explains how chaos/Yeshua saw a Christ figure preaching and, if I'm not mistaken, also ascending?

As for the KOS-MOS thing, all I have to say is that is Takahashi had this whole story planned out by the time XS1 was released (which I believe he did), then his usage of and emphasis on Mary Magdalene predates the "DaVinci Code" hype. But yeah, Gnostic Christianity also had very particular views on Ms. Magdalene, and many "fringe" Christian groups have theorized about her role in JC's life (usually a romantic interest).

Don't say "oh I won't think about it." THINK ABOUT IT. It's fun and probably a worthwhile mental exercise.

(there's a reason this is my favorite RPG of all time.)

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 10:59:20 AM »

Look man, I love the game too but not enough to actually go into that kind of research. But it's good to know, at least it makes more sense now, thanks.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: