Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2014, 12:22:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331954 Posts in 13594 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  xenosaga 3 question
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: xenosaga 3 question  (Read 2949 times)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2010, 11:29:58 AM »

While we're on the whole series with superficial references to Christianity. Who was the Christ figure in Eva?

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2010, 02:23:30 PM »

Evangelion only references Christian-Judaic imagery and some terms, it doesn't actually interpret the mythology well. For the most part, Evangelion is a superficial show which pretends at being deep. Xenogears/saga, by contrast, actually references Gnosticism quite well.
citizenchris099

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2010, 03:46:51 PM »

Evangelion only references Christian-Judaic imagery and some terms, it doesn't actually interpret the mythology well. For the most part, Evangelion is a superficial show which pretends at being deep. Xenogears/saga, by contrast, actually references Gnosticism quite well.

I agree that much of Eva's use of Christian mythology is simply superficial that does not mean the series doesn't contain a great deal of existential philosophical themes.

--
Chris

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Everything that happens will happen today
and nothing has changed, but nothing's the same
and every tomorrow could be yesterday
and everything that happens will happen today"

-David Byrne
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2010, 04:51:54 PM »

While we're on the whole series with superficial references to Christianity. Who was the Christ figure in Eva?

I know you were being facetious, but some people out there actually think Shinji IS supposed to be Jesus.  Yes, they are completely and utterly insane, but I used those comments during a speech I gave.

The main character (Shinji Ikari) is called the 'Messiah of the New Age' on the official website. By portraying Shinji as a likeable character, NGE is softening the viewer up to accept the 'real' messiah of the New Age, who may well be the Beast or False Prophet of Revelations.

Lolwut.  http://www.crossroad.to/text/responses/Evangelion.htm

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2010, 06:00:59 PM »

I know you were being facetious, but some people out there actually think Shinji IS supposed to be Jesus.  Yes, they are completely and utterly insane, but I used those comments during a speech I gave.

The main character (Shinji Ikari) is called the 'Messiah of the New Age' on the official website. By portraying Shinji as a likeable character, NGE is softening the viewer up to accept the 'real' messiah of the New Age, who may well be the Beast or False Prophet of Revelations.

Lolwut.  http://www.crossroad.to/text/responses/Evangelion.htm

oh, that's excellent. Shinji Ikari is part of Revelation's anti-trinity. Thank you LaHaye and Jenkins for shitty Left Behind "eschatology" (quotes required).

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2010, 06:57:56 PM »

It's hilarious to watch people look too much into Evangelion's religious references. It's like trying to derive significance from the names of Final Fantasy's summons, even though they're only there for flavor (and not necessarily accurate either). Not that you can't look into Evangelion, it's just that isn't the place.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2010, 07:09:57 PM »

Shinji likeable? how could anyone like a character thats such a pussy?

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2010, 08:32:44 PM »

Shinji likeable? how could anyone like a character thats such a pussy?

Yeah, I was pretty mystified by that particular comment, and the rest delivered on copious amounts of blather.  Sometimes a tree really is just a tree.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: